Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old November 25th, 2014, 10:57 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Ixe's Custom Units

I don't know how I missed the Elsa connection but I'm perfectly fine owning it. I plan on doing a more Heroscape style cycle, like the ninjas or dragons, where they may share some unifying characteristic like Phantom Walk or Flying but are not constrained to follow the exact same set of powers. Arcane Riposte seems like a good characterstic ability for a Battle Mage to me, and often a special attack power may be needed to represent their magical abilities, although not always. I don't think the melee attack power will always be necessary and won't include it here.

As always, thanks for commenting.
Old November 25th, 2014, 01:03 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I'm sure the connection isn't lost on Pathfinder either.

If you are looking for good figures to use, check out the Star Wars Vong figures -- there are several that would make good Valkrill Battle Mages.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:10 AM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for the recommendation for figures for future Battle Mages and for the comments, everyone. Here's another custom.

This is the Warbound Impaler from D&D Miniatures War Drums.

NAME = Razorthorn
GENERAL = Ullar
PLANET = Eberron
SPECIES = Plant
CLASS = Beast
PERSONALITY = Ferocious
SIZE = Large 5 (Single Based)
UNIQUE HERO

LIFE = 4
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 5
DEFENSE = 2
POINTS = 110

PLANT TOUGH

When rolling defense dice for Razorthorn, if Razorthorn is on a land space, add one automatic shield to the defense roll.

WATER HEALING
After taking a turn with Razorthorn, if it is on a water space, remove 1 wound marker from Razorthorn's Army Card.

ANIMATED PLANT
Razorthorn is considered to be a bush for the purposes of special powers referencing bushes.

Razorthorn is an animated plant beast ready to charge the enemy and rake them to pieces with its rows of claws. As a living plant, it can cast its roots deep into the ground and withstand all but the strongest of attacks. It is also capable of soaking up water and regrowing any damage it has sustained, although it becomes vulnerable for doing so. Lastly, Razorthorn is a living plant still tied to the earth and those with a connection to nature.

Razorthron is a decent enough melee hero, albeit a bit vulnerable. It totes an improved form of toughness on land spaces and can even regenerate in water, although it must lose this crucial part of its defenses whenever it seeks this soak. Probably most valuable to the build is the fact that it counts as a bush to extend benefits to the Eilan Sidhe and my custom, Isley.

In all, I've been having trouble designing for Ullar. I just feel like he has a pretty thin slice of armies available to him. Elves and Vipers are pretty firmly in his territory, but after that he must contend for mythical monsters with Utgar and every other general. I think a druid/plant faction would be nice for rounding out Ullar, although I must admit that I'm hopelessly lost when it comes to the wording. I took a stab at it, although there doesn't appear to be any real precedent that I can work off of here.

It is currently a beast that can bond with the arrow gruts, although I have no issue seeing that changed if the mood strikes me. I like the idea of Water Healing and how that interacts with Plant Tough, but I do wonder if it is a bridge too far when it comes to powers.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ixe; December 5th, 2014 at 04:34 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 06:13 AM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

And bonds with Arrow Gruts? That's a cool custom.

Just passing through..
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Very nice, elegant, thematic powers, Ixe. I like it.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old December 2nd, 2014, 12:51 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Great looking figure, I somehow missed that one when I put together my own Forest faction. I like the trade-off between the first two powers. My only suggestion is on Plant Tough. It doesn't seem like it should work on asphalt, concrete, lava field, etc. You could restrict it to swamp, stone, grass or sand. Of course I tend to go with theme over simplicity...
Old December 2nd, 2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks for commenting. I'm glad to hear that people like it. I don't believe I'll change Plant Tough away from land spaces. I've noticed your propensity for the thematic but I feel that the attempt to catch every little corner case gets a little clunky and just opens up problems down the road when new things you had not anticipated are introduced to the game. Constructs getting the plague is weird, for instance, but I feel that it is made weirder still by the fact that Soulborgs are not affected by this same ailment.

I'm okay justifying that it's a strong plant capable of rooting in any type of ground and withstanding attacks because of it.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 04:01 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

For Plant Tough, have you considered making it work like normal tough in that it only affects normal attacks? Many special attacks are fire-based and it might not seem right for this guy to get an automatic shield versus explosives or fire magic.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 3rd, 2014, 11:55 AM

Thank you for the suggestion. I was looking at the wording of Hatamoto Taro's Adjacent Tough for a conditional toughness power and I saw that his applied across the board so I did so here as well. I'm otherwise a little worried if it would be too vulnerable to special attacks without it, and it bears noting that there are plenty of other special attacks with no such fire theme.

Furthermore, plants aren't really that susceptible to burning unless they are really dessicated. There is a perception of them being that way because of forest fires, but that is more of a function of dry conditions and how they can't exactly move away from the fire (you'd go up pretty quick too if you just stood there). It is also more important to deliver on perception than reality for games in general, but I think I'll feel safe enough in that enough special attacks aren't fire themed to not bend over backwards for the ones that are.
Old December 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Liandra Icespire

I like the idea of Battle Mages all having Arcane Riposte. It's a simple, unique power that is enough to make them feel a bit similar.

Avalance is neat, though I suspect often will end up with less advantageous positioning since the defender gets to place the figure. Still, I do see the value in moving an adjacent figure away to get additional attacks. I have trouble seeing her worth 120pts though. Offensive potential is merely ok and defensively is merely average.

Razorthorn

I originally picked up this figure because I thought it would be a great-looking Heroscape figure, but I was disappointed by the simple all-green coloration.

It's a pretty solid Beast design, much more defensive than the stats would suggest. The trade-off between standing on a land tile and on a water tile is interesting. Animated Plant doesn't add anything, in my opinion. There are very few units that reference bushes and this has the potential to create corner cases. Not to mention the unprecedented wording. From a thematic perspective, the other two powers already provide plenty of theme.

Water Healing does not need the "at least one" wording, since it's single-based.
Old December 5th, 2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Liandra Icespire

I like the idea of Battle Mages all having Arcane Riposte. It's a simple, unique power that is enough to make them feel a bit similar.

Avalance is neat, though I suspect often will end up with less advantageous positioning since the defender gets to place the figure. Still, I do see the value in moving an adjacent figure away to get additional attacks. I have trouble seeing her worth 120pts though. Offensive potential is merely ok and defensively is merely average.
Thanks for commenting. I had the placement set to be Augamo style since I don't want it to be too good at lava dunking. I know it's not great, but it can still knock a figure down from a high perch and accomplish a few nice things.

Price wise, I also agree that she doesn't quite hold up to 120. I'm tempted to change her, but I honestly feel a bit pigeon-holed at that range given that the comparatively weak Sharwin Wildborn is sitting at 110. Do I cost her 110 anyway and have her sharply overshadow her companion? Even a 5 point bump makes here look pretty good in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Razorthorn

I originally picked up this figure because I thought it would be a great-looking Heroscape figure, but I was disappointed by the simple all-green coloration.

It's a pretty solid Beast design, much more defensive than the stats would suggest. The trade-off between standing on a land tile and on a water tile is interesting. Animated Plant doesn't add anything, in my opinion. There are very few units that reference bushes and this has the potential to create corner cases. Not to mention the unprecedented wording. From a thematic perspective, the other two powers already provide plenty of theme.

Water Healing does not need the "at least one" wording, since it's single-based.
I thought the miniature that I own looks rather good and has some decent contrast between the browns and greens. Maybe you got a bad paint job with yours. I'm glad to hear that the trade off between land and water reads well. I'll have to see how well it plays. I thought it was a double base when I was first making it but then realized it was a single. The old wording slipped through the cracks for Water Healing (I caught Plant Tough).

As far as Animated Plant goes, I wouldn't mind getting some help on the wording. It is essentially "trinket text" right now, meaning a power that adds little more than flavor. I would otherwise agree that that flavor is unnecessary given the strong theme carried by the rest of the powers, but I plan on expanding "plant matters" for Ullar and make it more significant than just working with Isely and the Eilan Sidhe. With some more options and perhaps a bit of smoothing I think I can get a nice plant faction where the fact that Razorthorn is a plant is actually significant. I wouldn't mind for the power to also work with the Quasatch Hunters but that feels even more daunting when it comes to wording.

Last edited by Ixe; December 6th, 2014 at 02:21 PM.
Old December 8th, 2014, 04:25 PM

I'm still playing catch up with my other factions so let's press on with my Battle Mage cycle and get in Einar's.

This is Justice Ironbriar from Pathfinder Miniatures - The Lost Coast.

NAME = Titus Mindstrom
GENERAL = Einar
PLANET = Toril
SPECIES = Human
CLASS = Battle Mage
PERSONALITY = Disciplined
SIZE = Medium 5
UNIQUE HERO

LIFE = 5
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 4
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 135

DOMINATE 15

After taking a turn with Titus Mindstrom, you may choose an opponent's Squad figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Titus. Roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 15 or higher, take temporary control of that figure's Army Card (or cards if your opponent has more than one common figure for that card) and immediately take a turn with that Squad. Any figure that is taking its turn must be within 4 clear sight spaces of Titus prior to its movement. At the end of that turn, control of the chosen Squad's Army Card (or cards) returns to its previous owner. All order markers that were on that Squad's Army Card will stay on the Army Card.

ARCANE RIPOSTE
When Titus Mindstrom rolls defense dice against a normal attack, all excess shields count as unblockable hits on the attacking figure.

While Sharwin Wildborn specializes in the magic of electricity and Liandra Icespire has mastered the sorcery of cold, Titus Mindstrom focuses on the arcane manipulation of the mind. He can dominate the weak-willed around him, making them turn on each other and wreak havoc amongst their own. Since Titus does not rely upon traditional magical attacks, he instead trusts in his enchanted blade to cut down any who dare challenge him in combat.

I always appreciated the fun and impact of mind-control type powers such as Ne-Gok-Sa's Mind Shackle or even the Mind Flayer's Enslave, but I never particularly cared for how they could not affect Common figures. I understand the limitations from a game perspective, but thematically one would imagine that simple squad figures would have the weakest will. More so, squads typically dominate the metagame making mind control powers very niche on so many units.

And so I set out to try to turn it on its head with Titus. His power is some kind of Frankenstein conglomeration of Enslave, Mind Shackle, Dund's Crippling Gaze, and even the Marro Hive's Hive Mind. It is quite wordy and rather complicated, but I believe it accomplishes the goal of dominating squads in a playable and thematic way.

In practice, I'm not sure how well he'll actually work out. His lack of any ranged attack allowed him an extra die to defense which certainly makes him all the more threatening to squad figures. While Dominate is quite probable for a power of its type, it is still sub-reliant and not something you can bank on every turn. The fact that it is range limited for activations means he'll need to be right in the fray to take it to full effect. He is also relatively rubbish against other heroes and is quite easily outclassed by cheaper options.

As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards