Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old November 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM

BadBird is surprisingly tart
Pre-made armies for hosting a Tournament

I'm hosting a tournament in a couple weeks. Looks like I'll have 10+ people coming. About half have played a few times and the other half not at all. No one coming has any of their own heroscape so I'm providing everything. To speed things up I'll have tournament worthy maps already set up and pre-made 500 pts armies already put together.

Below are some of the armies I've put together. I want everyone to have a good time and make sure everyone has a positive heroscape experience. So i'd like all the armies to be has fair and fun as possible (maybe more on the fun side). I'm still working on other armies. I'd like some feed back.

Raelin (80)
Joton
Finn
Thorgrim
Eldgrim

Braxas
Carr
Q10
Ashigaru Yari x1

SuBakNa
KeeMoShi
Stingers x2
Nagrubs x3

Cyprien
Sonya
Nifheim
Stingers x2

TorKulNa
WoSaGa
Marro Warriors
Nagrubs x3

Syvarris
Thorgrim
Raelin (80)
Izumi
Marro Warriors
Zombies x2

DW9000
Zettian Guards
Warden 816
Granite Guardians x2

Drake (110)
Airborn Elite
Sonlen
Stingers x2

Kaemon Awa
Thorgrim
Quasatch x3

These last 2 I'm not sure of...

Ulginesh
Jorhdawn
Chardris
Emirroon
Arkmer
Kyntela Gwyn

Q9
Zetacron
Raelin (80)
Krav
Deathreavers x2

Last edited by BadBird; November 18th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Pre-made armies for hosting a Tournament

I think the best way to make fun armies is to make them themed. For example, you could do Marro, Orcs, Omnicron, etc.

The other thing to remember is that Q9, Rats, and Raelin can be fun for the person playing them, but not so much for the people playing them (or as some younger members on the site might say, versing ).

That's usually the best way to do it in my opinion. The armies above look really good, by the way.
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Q9
Zetacron
Raelin (80)
Krav
Deathreavers x2

This one here seems to be the most powerful IMO, to the point of domination possibly.

-insert signature here-
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:39 PM

LMB knows what's in an order marker LMB knows what's in an order marker

From having done something similar myself I have 2 suggestions:

- Make sure every army has at least 1 big fig. (Wow factor)
- Don't have the same unit in any 2 armies. (confusion)

Themed is good too, but it would probably be difficult tp come up with 10 distinct themes.

Good luck!
Old November 16th, 2009, 06:42 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Can you post your list of haves? It'd be easier to make suggestions if we knew what you had.

I'm also for the theme factor - makes the game seem way cool to newbies.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Is The Skullmaster

Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness Darkmage7a wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Q9
Zetacron
Raelin (80)
Krav
Deathreavers x2

This one here seems to be the most powerful IMO, to the point of domination possibly.
Likewise.

And this poor guy has an order marker nightmare. Maybe you give him some common squads, knights or deathreavers maybe. I see what your trying to do by using the vikings to beef up the big man, but what looks good on paper doesn't always work in practice.

Raelin (80)
Joton
Finn
Thorgrim
Eldgrim
Old November 16th, 2009, 07:55 PM

My collection is

Rotv x3
Swarm x3
forrest x2
Jungle x2
All large figure packs x1

wave 1

Heroes of Bleakwood

wave 5

Gladiators and Agents
Ninjas and Samurai
Warriors (x1) and Soulborgs (x2)

All of waves 6-8 but only 1 pack of each...

Wave 10

Heros
Granites and Quastach x2
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't run tournaments, but I pretty much always do this when my friends come over--they are not serious HS heads.

Theme's aren't as hard as you might think. Of course you always break the rules with one or two figures (to give the army range, for example) but that's the way it is.

You should also pay attention to the power balance of your armies. I.e. you can't have one army that rules them all. Like nyys says you might have that. Q9 and the rats in one army? Fear.

How to check for power balance is obviously harder. You could do it by converting their letter grade into a number:
a+=4.3
a=4
a-=3.6
b+=3.3
b=3
and so on. Then multipling each unit's cost times their power rating. The armies should be more or less equal by this measure.

But that's complicated. You could force the winners to switch armies. I've done that too.

Kevin
Old November 18th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

And go buy wave 9, you NEED it.
Old November 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Wave 9 I know... Working on it.

A few more ideas;

Sujoah
Spiders x2
Venoc Warlord
Elite Onyx Vipers
Isamu

Kato Katsuro
Izumi Samurai
Kozuke Samurai
Deathreavers x2
Zetacron

Q9
Carr
Krav
Nakitas

Charos
Kelda
Marro Drudge x4

Heavy Gruts x1
Grimnak
Tornak
Nerak
Mimring

Last edited by BadBird; November 19th, 2009 at 09:55 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion