Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old December 21st, 2009, 04:19 AM
Keeping Marcu in check

Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker Zealot knows what's in an order marker
Re: The Book of Othkurik the Black Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Edit: Ignore! I didn't realize that faction-wide synergies don't go here - I really need to read the books more carefully.

Don't forget Ornak's Red Flag of Fury Aura. Othkurik is a unique hero who follows Utgar.
I concur with this statement. Othkurik is a unique hero who follows Utgar, as such, Ornak's Red Flag of Fury Aura applies to him and should be added to the "Synergies Benefits Received" section.

I can see Othkurik and Mimring making a good team. Its a little pricey at 290 but Othkurik's attack can target clumps while Mimring can attack the figures that try to spread out. If you throw in any of the orc combinations: Arrow Gruts with Beast bonding for Mimring or Orc Warriors with Ornak's Flag for both dragons; you can get some fairly deadly synergy.

~Zealot

---- Let's all be honest here ----
---- This is what you thought of when you saw my name wasn't it?
Old December 21st, 2009, 09:54 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Rev has asked that we do our pre-release discussion in the thread Tai-Pan created for this purpose. It's here.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Our esteemed Grishnak has brought up an interesting concern about Othkurik. His sculp with it's bent neck positioning, creates visibility issues for Lil Blacky.

I will be consulting with the rules team. Until we have an official sighting answer, perhaps just use the dragon's neck spines as a sighting point.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old January 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

One thing to keep in mind when using Othkurik's Acid Spray Special Attack is that you "may also choose up to two other figures adjacent to the targeted figure to be affected by Acid Spray Special Attack." So unlike when you use Zelrig's or Mimring's special attack you do not half to worry about attacking your own figures that are adjacent to the targeted figure. If you have the defending figure surrounded you could just say that it is the only target of the attack.

“Flores died on the way up." Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old January 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
no baby bump - false alarm!

spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun spiteofthedice is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Upshaw View Post
One thing to keep in mind when using Othkurik's Acid Spray Special Attack is that you "may also choose up to two other figures adjacent to the targeted figure to be affected by Acid Spray Special Attack." So unlike when you use Zelrig's or Mimring's special attack you do not half to worry about attacking your own figures that are adjacent to the targeted figure. If you have the defending figure surrounded you could just say that it is the only target of the attack.
Which, as has just been covered in Tandros Kreel's Book, provides a way of attacking 2 other figures adjacent to Tandros even when Tandros engages the scary dragon.
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:45 AM

Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby! Oliver Upshaw rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiteofthedice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Upshaw View Post
Which, as has just been covered in Tandros Kreel's Book, provides a way of attacking 2 other figures adjacent to Tandros even when Tandros engages the scary dragon.
The discussion in Tandros Kreel's Book is how to attack him with a multiple figure attack in order to bypass his protection ability. I am talking about the fact that Othkurik has a multiple figure attack that can be dialed down if you do not want to attack a figure that is adjacent to the targeted figure. It might be because the other figures are your own, an allies, Krug, one of the viking figures, Tul-Bak-Ra, a Marro Divider, Isamu, or the human champion of the MacDirks. I can see reasons why in some cases you would not want to attack any of these figures if you did not have to.

“Flores died on the way up." Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:53 AM

RattyZ is surprisingly tart

Thusfar, Lil Blacky has been devistating by using a fight-then-flight technique. Swoop in for a monster hit, then distance using his acid breath special.

He's been very devistating in the dungeon crawl format, and was used well with a Rat Screen during a standard format game.
Old January 5th, 2010, 01:03 PM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattyZ View Post
Thusfar, Lil Blacky has been devastating by using a fight-then-flight technique. Swoop in for a monster hit, then distance using his acid breath special.

He's been very devastating in the dungeon crawl format, and was used well with a Rat Screen during a standard format game.

This is the tactic my friend used against me in our most recent game. He took out Erevan in one hit, faded back to the shadows and the swooped into finish of the dwarf. I was able to engage him with Tandros and get three wounds on him. He disengaged and took another wound. Orthkurik did not come back for a bit(I fought of the Drow and Pelloth with Tandros+Ana very tense battle). He swoops back in when Tandros has 6 wounds, and wiffed his attack. He then faded out and his luck failed.

If Orthkurik had disengage he would be amazing, I would love to see that over acid breath. He's a good figure but a little fragile. I cannot wait to see how he does in a "competative" game.
Old February 12th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Our esteemed Grishnak has brought up an interesting concern about Othkurik. His sculp with it's bent neck positioning, creates visibility issues for Lil Blacky.

I will be consulting with the rules team. Until we have an official sighting answer, perhaps just use the dragon's neck spines as a sighting point.
Has there been any official word on this yet?

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:

I thought you didn't have to worry about facing and figures could look through most of their bodies, with a few exceptions. That's why we ended up with questions about Mimring looking through his own wings and such right?

So shouldn't Othkurik be able to look through his bent neck?
Old February 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord Alpha View Post
What if you used rats to "bridge the gap" between figures? As in, your opponent might spread his figures out to avoid Acid Spray. So, get rats to plug the holes and then target the rats. Sure you will lose a rat here and there and it won't activate scatter (for two reasons), but if you are using 4x rats that won't matter much.
I like the idea of giving a good screen/targeting beacon for Othkurik's acid spray. Rather than using rats, how about Marrden NaGrubs? They are the same price as rats (10 pts each), have an extra attack die, and if you add Warden 816, you get 7 movement out of each NaGrub. Sure, they don't have scatter or as much staying power, but a large swarm of them will still provide a screen/targeting beacon for acid spray, as well provide a small offensive gain over the rats.

Othkurik: 140
Warden 816: 230
NaGrugs x 5: 380
Krav Maga: 480
(21 spaces[Othkurik takes 2])

Krav take height, Nagrubs advance, Othkurik runs and guns with Acid Spray, and Warden plays cleanup.

If you have more points, add Chain drow or Zettian Guards. Both take advantage of the Warden's move bonuses and add something to the mix (Zettians add some range pepper and/or clean up duties; Chain assist the Krav or provide NaGrub support as needed, setting up targets for Othkurik's acid bombardment).

Drow Chain X2: 580

OR

Zettian Guards: 550
Old February 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth Hogg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:

I thought you didn't have to worry about facing and figures could look through most of their bodies, with a few exceptions. That's why we ended up with questions about Mimring looking through his own wings and such right?

So shouldn't Othkurik be able to look through his bent neck?
For meele attacks facing doesn't matter, but ranged attacks always have to have LOS. Single spaced figures can be rotated during your turn so facing doesn't matter for them as long as they can get LOS and still be centered on the hex.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units