Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old April 1st, 2014, 06:22 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Robotized Humanity?

They really need to set up guidelines for using new technology. Maybe they have this for kids already, but adults need it more. It could include ettiquette (God knows), how to learn the new tech, etc.

As a very old school low tech guy, I was still working when they introduced an internal internet system into my very large hospital. While I was being praised by my boss for creative use of it (nothing technical, just giving out information) others were jamming it up with digital Christmas cards and "fun" enclosures to each other to the point that the system almost crashed.

Here's another story. As a professional presenter, who has performed for audiences of from two to two thousand, I always thought that Power Point had very limited utility, and was only supposed to be used in certain circumstances. But it was the new thing, and pretty soon no one could make a presentation without it (except me, although I learned how to use it so people would pay attention). When I went to someone else's presentation that used it, and asked for useful handouts, what did I get? Hard copy of their screens, which only vaguely summarized points, rather than provide real detailed information. I argued this point in a friendly way with many "robots" who just do what they are told, until the day The New Yorker magazine had an article that agreed with me---by none other than the designer of Power Point.

Last edited by chas; April 1st, 2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old April 1st, 2014, 07:17 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
As a very old school low tech guy, I was still working when they introduced an internal internet system into my very large hospital. While I was being praised by my boss for creative use of it (nothing technical, just giving out information) others were jamming it up with digital Christmas cards and "fun" enclosures to each other to the point that the system almost crashed.
This sounds a lot more like someone not being responsible with their new toy. While I wasn't in existance, if the concept of the internet was still new, I can see why guidelines couldn't exist. The powers that be had no clue what they could have been.

As far as Power Point goes, I've always felt it was a joke. Just people who are terrible at presenting trying to present something.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old April 1st, 2014, 10:55 AM

Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby! Sylvano the Wasabus rolls all skulls baby!

E) I don't own a cell phone.

And I never will.

My chief challenge is that everyone and everything is after bits of my time. It all gets eaten up. Cell phones and especially social media just seem to be time eaters to me. Certainly social media can be useful under some circumstances, but I don’t really need to know what that bully in grade eight is doing now.

I aspire to be the bird or the squirrel, living in the moment.

I think social media and the find-you-everywhere technology erodes individuality. It’s a herd mentality. I’m an old man early, keeping to myself, playing with my toys and reading Agatha Christie novels.

Wherever humanity is headed it is clearly going there without me.
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:24 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Sylvano:

Sadly, you will own a cell phone when land lines become obsolete and unavailable. For example, try to find a public pay phone here in New York City. Although they once were everywhere for a long time, you might as well look for a Stegosaurus!
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:37 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvano the Wasabus View Post
I aspire to be the bird or the squirrel, living in the moment.

I think social media and the find-you-everywhere technology erodes individuality. It’s a herd mentality. I’m an old man early, keeping to myself, playing with my toys and reading Agatha Christie novels.

Wherever humanity is headed it is clearly going there without me.
Replace Agatha Christie with Charles Dickens, Philip Pullman, Erin Hunter and George Orwell (and possibly Mervyn Peake - giving him a go) and adding going out with close family quite often, and that could be a reasonable description of me. Insular and proud!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General