Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old December 10th, 2022, 06:11 PM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!
Re: AOA: Playing The New Factions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Taeblewalker and I have now "playtested" all the regular AOA cards over four games. I am now playtesting my 5 Upgraded SOTM Hero AOA custom cards. For details, including the armies I am using, see my signature thread for The New York City Gang of Four. Photos are about to be posted there as well, with all the proxies minis I have assembled and much more listed there.
@chas thanks for the continued updates. I'll head over to your signature link to read more about the playtests. I am really interested how the Dryan Lifeborne Order did since they are my favorites and the first ones I plan on getting proxies for.
Old December 11th, 2022, 03:13 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

The familiars were great. Overall the Dryans were fun to play.

Old December 11th, 2022, 05:18 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Its notable that each Dryan Wizard, but not the Dragon, has the Command Familiars power, or a variation of it. But a specific Familiar (aka Beast) does not have to be assigned to a particular Wizard. So any Wizard can command any Familiar on the battlefield depending only on the Beast's size.

Four wizards can command a small or medium Beast, one a small, medium, or large one. Since all AOA faction familiars are small or medium, the only large beasts available would be previously published Classic or Custom large Beasts. So, like the Crimson Widow's Hire power (Dawnraider Faction), this Wizard could synergize specifically with a nonAOA card (or cards)!
Old December 11th, 2022, 08:42 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

To be clear to those who haven't checked out my signature thread, Taeblewalker has played both different Dryan faction armies, one Dawnraider army, and the Nemesis Brood. I've played both different Clockwork faction armies, a different Dawnraider army, and the Ironbound Collective.

I've also now played two games with my custom set of the 5 SOTM Heroes--with Evil Raelin in an Utgar (Marro) army opposing the others.

We'd be happy to take any of your comments or questions here, or over in our local group thread for The New York City Gang of Four. (Because our regular monthly game was cancelled for December, we were able to substitute an AOA Session instead). I expect to play more AOA games going forward, which will eventually mix AOA cards with older Classic/Custom cards as well. So the AOA cards will enter the mix of playable Scape cards with all the others.

Last edited by chas; January 19th, 2023 at 06:18 AM.
Old December 11th, 2022, 09:50 AM

gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby! gatormustang rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Its notable that each Dryan Wizard, but not the Dragon, has the Command Familiars power, or a variation of it. But a specific Familiar (aka Beast) does not have to be assigned to a particular Wizard. So any Wizard can command any Familiar on the battlefield depending only on the Beast's size.

Four wizards can command a small or medium Beast, one a small, medium, or large one. Since all AOA faction familiars are small or medium, the only large beasts available would be previously published Classic or Custom large Beasts. So, like the Crimson Widow's Hire power (Dawnraider Faction), this Wizard could synergize specifically with a nonAOA card (or cards)!
@chas and @Taeblewalker great points that will help us all to better understand the right strategy when utilizing these units. It definitely looks like I will be teaming some of the Dryans with the Elf Wizards, which I use quite a bit.

Last edited by gatormustang; December 11th, 2022 at 10:47 AM.
Old December 11th, 2022, 10:48 AM

@chas I am also curious if you did use Xenithrax how the Glyph of Xenithrax Vines did in the play testing.
Old December 11th, 2022, 11:56 AM

Gatormustang,

1. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Craig VN did say during the Con video when the campaign began that the Dryans were meant to interact with the previous Elf Wizards, although he didn't say how. Both Chana and Onshu the familiars have powers that work with "any Wizard you control."

2. Taeblewalker did place two of the Vine Glyphs in the immediate battle area, but they did not come into play, and were still there at the end of the game. I don't know if more careful placement or different circumstances might have been more effective; we're new at this. I certainly didn't need to step on them during Game One, so I didn't. I might have more to say when I get to play the dragon myself.

I've got my cardboard proxy vine tiles numbered 1-3, in case we need to refer to them specifically in later commentary.
Old December 11th, 2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Gatormustang,

1. As I've mentioned elsewhere, Craig VN did say during the Con video when the campaign began that the Dryans were meant to interact with the previous Elf Wizards, although he didn't say how. Both Chana and Onshu the familiars have powers that work with "any Wizard you control."

2. Taeblewalker did place two of the Vine Glyphs in the immediate battle area, but they did not come into play, and were still there at the end of the game. I don't know if more careful placement or different circumstances might have been more effective; we're new at this. I certainly didn't need to step on them during Game One, so I didn't. I might have more to say when I get to play the dragon myself.

I've got my cardboard proxy vine tiles numbered 1-3, in case we need to refer to them specifically in later commentary.
@chas I kind of thought that placing the Vine Glyphs would be more to prevent the opponent from moving efficiently to a location they wanted to go to, more than actually being something that would really impact play by inflicting damage. Based on the game you played with @Taeblewalker it seems that you were able to strategically move/avoid them. I have a current map built shown below that would definitely allow the Vine Glyphs to potentially wreak more havoc especially with the three bridges that are on the map.

Last edited by gatormustang; December 11th, 2022 at 03:58 PM.
Old December 11th, 2022, 04:19 PM

Agree! He put them on the slope of a hill I needed to climb, but I was able to maneuver around them with no movement delay. Yes, they're perfect for a bottleneck like a bridge!
Old December 31st, 2022, 08:05 AM

Taeblewalker has now posted photos of our first game using the proxies of the AOA cards here:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...92#post2551792

I've posted some commentary to identify many of the proxies used.

I'm looking forward in January to multiplayer sessions with all the "regular" AOA cards, plus now the 5 upgraded SOTM Heroes and even the 7 new Kyries. This makes a total of 51 Cards. For details see the link above, and other pages on my signature thread for the New York City Gang of Four in General Discussion.
Old January 2nd, 2023, 10:51 PM

A second sequence of Taeblewalker's photos have now been posted, covering the other three of the first four games we played with AOA proxy cards and figures. I've also posted some commentary on them, mostly identifying the proxies I came up with.

In January we'll be trying it with the same "Demo" armies but more players, so everyone can get a feel for the new cards! Later on everyone will be able to build their own armies, mixing in all the other Scape Classic and Custom cards!

These next games will be played on a larger Medium sized battlefield, and have at least one more AOA Vanguard Edition surprise!

It will be the last planned game effect noted by Avalon Hill in their Discord discussions. I don't expect AH to reveal anything further to be included in the Vanguard Edition, due to their NDAs, but we'd all love to hear anything else planned they are allowed to mention.

Last edited by chas; January 2nd, 2023 at 11:11 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2023, 05:28 AM

I'm surprised that no one else seems to be posting about their AOA games. Obviously others are playing, although the discussions may have moved to other media I don't use, such as Discord.

If you are playing AOA and discussing it, or even posting about them on this site, feel free to provide links to these posts here for us to find! The proxy thread certainly indicates that others are collecting figures closer to the physical AOA figures originally posted on the Haslab Offering.

As noted on my signature thread for my local group the NYCG4 (link below), after January we will begin integrating the AOA cards with all of the previous Classic and Custom cards. Even had Hasbro continued the AOA line with further expansions, we would probably be doing this anyway. Heroscape lives!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion