Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old August 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Sci-fi Messiah has disabled reputation
Computer Recently Cleaned - Not so Techno-savvy

I recently had my computer cleaned out due to it being bogged down with viruses and errors. So now that I've gotten it back I'm missing a few things that are kind of essential. The guy who cleaned it put Windows XP back on it... but I'm missing Word, I need a "directsound driver?", and probably a whole crapload of stuff I'm unaware of.
I have my old XP re-install disc from when I got the computer, so my question is; would deleting my current XP and re-installing that disc (with the older version) restore my driver and Word (and whatever else I don't know I don't have)?

"Thought he, life is wicked in all meridians. I'll die a pagan."
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Computer Recently Cleaned - Not so Techno-savvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-fi Messiah View Post
I recently had my computer cleaned out due to it being bogged down with viruses and errors. So now that I've gotten it back I'm missing a few things that are kind of essential. The guy who cleaned it put Windows XP back on it... but I'm missing Word, I need a "directsound driver?", and probably a whole crapload of stuff I'm unaware of.
I have my old XP re-install disc from when I got the computer, so my question is; would deleting my current XP and re-installing that disc (with the older version) restore my driver and Word (and whatever else I don't know I don't have)?
It should re-install everything the computer came with.
Old August 15th, 2008, 08:48 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Computer Recently Cleaned - Not so Techno-savvy

No. Computers usually come with 2 CDs. One is for the Operating System and one is for the Applications and Software. Both should be labeled as such. Since your PC just had Windows re-installed, it just has the basics on there. All of your components will need to re-install their drivers. directsound driver is just something your sound card or built in audio needs to work with XP properly. It should be on your Application CD along with the rest of your drivers.

If you don't have your App CD, you might have to manually download drivers from the web anyway.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General