Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old July 11th, 2011, 09:21 PM

Beowulf has disabled reputation
Re: Cincinnati "Preset" Tournament Sat 7/16/11

Mooseman, Yogurt, and Nathaniel are definites unless some unforseen circumstances arrive (like Q9 obliterating my car or something like that).
Old July 11th, 2011, 10:35 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsenemy View Post
I will keep an eye on Cincy tourney's though, I understand Johnnylama runs a good tourney.
Lies, all lies! I'm verbally abusive to all participants, and anyone finishing with a record under .500 has to go through a "spank machine" of those over.500.

I FINALLY got around to building out the rest of the board and assigning the armies to them. They're added to the first post. I still might add a bit to some of the armies to help minimize the points imbalances.

Things are starting to shape up!!!

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
― Anthony Ryan, Blood Song

Last edited by Johnnylama; July 12th, 2011 at 11:20 AM.
Old July 14th, 2011, 05:06 PM

WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby! WOOKIE rolls all skulls baby!

I've been interested in playing in this event, ever since Johnny first conceived this format months ago. FOJ & I even considered using it. The pre-constructed armies along with their chosen battlegrounds Johnny created, are well thought out & a welcome change to most events.

Unfortunately I can not find a way up there. I wish you all luck & envy not being there.

Loves all Scape

Still hasn't taken his Christmas decorations down.
Old July 14th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Umm, so wait. I assume I don't need to bring my own figures

If anyone could say, that'd be great.

Sincerly,
TheAverageFan, who knows nothing of these new-fangled tournament things.

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:59 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOKIE View Post
I've been interested in playing in this event, ever since Johnny first conceived this format months ago. FOJ & I even considered using it. The pre-constructed armies along with their chosen battlegrounds Johnny created, are well thought out & a welcome change to most events.

Unfortunately I can not find a way up there. I wish you all luck & envy not being there.
If things go well, and if you want, you can use any of my match ups, maps, sheets, anything, and run the same thing up in Dayton anytime you want. It would save you a lot of time. I'm curious to see how the pairings work out. Maybe some of them won't work out as evenly as I planned, and you could tweak them or come up with your own. You got me started doing tournaments, so you are very welcome to anything that might help you out.

I also thought it would be neat if anyone else ever tried this format if we had a thread or kept track of match ups and how they do in this format. It sounds like the kind of thing people around here like to do. Anyone is welcome to use my pairings or anything I've put together. Just let me know how it goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Umm, so wait. I assume I don't need to bring my own figures

If anyone could say, that'd be great.

Sincerly,
TheAverageFan, who knows nothing of these new-fangled tournament things.
Yup-- the figures will be there, and you can leave yours at home. Just show up and play. I think this is the only tournament I can think of where that would happen!

It might be a good idea to check out the cards for any units that you're not familiar with that shows up in one of the armies (if there are any that you're not familiar with). Otherwise, you're good to go.

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
Old July 14th, 2011, 10:42 PM

tfelts is surprisingly tart

I would say my son and I are 85% yes...
Old July 15th, 2011, 02:28 PM

I never finished addressing the issue of the armies having different point values and how that might impact the standings, so I went ahead and added filler units to about half of the armies to keep the points pretty even (the range is 480-510 now). It's too late to play test, so I just added the same filler unit to the armies facing each other (Ex Both got a swog rider). I put little rubber bands on the figures so there wouldn't be any confusion on the battlefield. Ideally I would have the time to add different units, but I didn't want to add different ones and have it mess up the match up some unforeseen way.

The only match up I see this having any impact on is the 4th Mass-- adding something else "non-valiant" would make it even harder for their valiant defense bonus to kick in, so I wanted to add something valiant. This meant that I had to find a valiant unit that was very similar to another unit (cost, stats, etc.). The best pair I could find were Saylind and Emirroon, so I added them. Their stats are the same, except Saylind is a bit more mobile with flying and move 6. I don't think the summoning will play into much.

I also just noticed how useless a Fire Elemental would be on the middle of Embattled Fen, so I switched the Fire Elemental in the Knight army to a Earth Elemental. Each wolf army will get a Fire Elemental to placate the pyromaniacs.

Anyway, review the adjusted armies if you'd like, but I don't expect the changes to change much (hopefully).

Last edited by Johnnylama; July 15th, 2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old July 16th, 2011, 08:07 PM

tfelts is surprisingly tart

Thanks for a great tournament!! We both had a really good time and are looking forward to the next one! Let me know if you need any help setting up or trying anything out!

Tim
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfelts View Post
Thanks for a great tournament!! We both had a really good time and are looking forward to the next one! Let me know if you need any help setting up or trying anything out!
Tim
I ALWAYS need help setting up, that's for sure!

Here are the results:
Spoiler Alert!

Here’s how the match ups worked out:
Spoiler Alert!

Overall, I think it was a very competitive day. Most people were in the 3-2/2-3 range, and many of them weren’t separated by a lot of points. If anyone wants to try out these match ups at their own tourney, that would be great—let me know how it goes! I also made up “Rules to Remember” sheets for each match up so players could review some of the pertinent issues concerning size/ terrain/ match ups, etc. so they could quickly start to play and get a handle of what they were dealing with. I could easy send this to anyone interested in using them. I’d probably adjust a few things, though (see above).

If anyone is interested in this as a tournament format, let me know. Maybe we can put a thread together and keep track of competitive match ups to use as a resource for others. Fixing up the match ups took FORVER, so I think a resource would be useful. It’s probably best to keep them right around 500 for consistency. I’m glad I adjusted the point totals so they were closer together. It allowed me to run the points like normal tournaments.

Thanks to everyone who came out! I think about half of the participants were new to me. Everyone got along great, and I think things went pretty smoothly. I think I’m finally getting the hang of running these things. Once again, Sci-Fi City was a gracious host, and we’re welcome back. Look for info about another one in a couple of months. It sounded like people want to use one of the GenCon formats next time (Heat of Battle, General Wars, Dragon Wars, Slugfest, or something like that), so we’ll probably do one of those. This format took a lot of front-end work on my part, so running one of those will probably seem pretty easy to me now!

Last edited by Johnnylama; July 17th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

How detailed of information was kept for this event? I'm very interested to know if in any of the match-ups one army significantly outperformed the other army (4-1 or 5-0).

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old July 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylama View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfelts View Post
Tim
I ALWAYS need help setting up, that's for sure!
Thanks for the well run tournament! MORE PLEASE.

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
How detailed of information was kept for this event? I'm very interested to know if in any of the match-ups one army significantly outperformed the other army (4-1 or 5-0).
He asked us to record which army won each time on the back of the map sheet, so he should have that info.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events