Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Old July 31st, 2011, 08:19 PM
now with 100% more AWESOME

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: DE/NJ/MD/PA/VA NHSD 2011 Multi-Day Event Discussion Thre

Ok - Tony, the guy behind Mechanicon, stopped by Games Keep yesterday and we had a chance to chat. We're in - I just need to get him some event info PRONTO. Discussion yesterday seemed to confirm that we think we can do four events: a four-round event on Friday night, a four-round on Saturday morning, a five-round on Saturday afternoon/evening, and a five-round on Sunday. Here's my thought:

Friday 5pm-9pm: Assassin's Guild. Four rounds, 450 points, scenario rules forthcoming - similar to our last event but with Brandar's Chests. First player to hold both chests wins the game.
Saturday 10am - 2pm: General Wars. Four rounds, 400 points.
Saturday 3pm - 9pm: Standard. Five rounds, 520 points. We haven't done a standard tournament in a long, long time.
Sunday 10am - 3pm: Heroes Only. Five rounds, 550 points.

Comments please!
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:26 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

KidScaper and I should be good for both Saturday events. I don't think anyone else from my usual suspects would be able to make it, though.

If you're getting NHSD prize support (no harm in asking), how would you handle it? What about entry fees, etc? Is there a separate fee for Mechanicon?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; July 31st, 2011 at 09:16 PM. Reason: "usual suspects" referring only to my buddy & my kid's buddies who play, of course.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:39 PM

shaugville is surprisingly tart

What dates are we talking?

14 tournaments: 30-31 record (1-3 2-2 3-1 4-1 2-2 2-3 3-2 2-2 2-3 3-2 2-3 2-2 2-2 0-3)
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:14 PM

mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun mad_wookiee is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
KidScaper and I should be good for both Saturday events. I don't think anyone else from my usual suspects would be able to make it, though.

If you're getting NHSD prize support (no harm in asking), how would you handle it? What about entry fees, etc? Is there a separate fee for Mechanicon?
There is a fee for Mechanicon. It's $15 per day, $25 for the weekend. I'm not adding any fees for my events on top of that. Part of that will go towards prize support, as I understand it, and they do a lot of drumming up prize support. We're also working on getting sanctioned as an NHSD event - R˙chean indicated that shouldn't be a problem, and we'll just divvy up whatever we get among the events. I don't know how much support he'll be able to provide but we'll take what we can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaugville View Post
What dates are we talking?
Nov 4-6.
Old July 31st, 2011, 09:38 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_wookiee View Post
Ok - Tony, the guy behind Mechanicon, stopped by Games Keep yesterday and we had a chance to chat. We're in - I just need to get him some event info PRONTO. Discussion yesterday seemed to confirm that we think we can do four events: a four-round event on Friday night, a four-round on Saturday morning, a five-round on Saturday afternoon/evening, and a five-round on Sunday. Here's my thought:

Friday 5pm-9pm: Assassin's Guild. Four rounds, 450 points, scenario rules forthcoming - similar to our last event but with Brandar's Chests. First player to hold both chests wins the game.
Saturday 10am - 2pm: General Wars. Four rounds, 400 points.
Saturday 3pm - 9pm: Standard. Five rounds, 520 points. We haven't done a standard tournament in a long, long time.
Sunday 10am - 3pm: Heroes Only. Five rounds, 550 points.

Comments please!
Sounds good to me. I probably would not be able to make friday, but Saturday and Sunday are do-able! I like it!

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:39 AM

Northgate knows what's in an order marker Northgate knows what's in an order marker

Justine, Mason, and I have already discussed this, and we will be good for the entire event (Friday through Sunday). We would be staying overnight, so any hotel info. would be great!

If any help is needed near the time of the event, we should be able to help.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:32 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Love the formats, but 400 pts. for general wars seems a little slim to me. I'm a fan of the 500pt ones, but I understand keeping it changed up if that is what you were thinking.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

4 rounds of play in a 4 hour window. That might be what MW is thinking. 400 points might get that done easier than 500.

Then again, I don't presume to know what MW is thinking. That's what jumped out at me anyhow.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
PA/MD/NJ Tourney Promoter - Evil!

tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness tom wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have cleared this with my significant other and I will be attending all three days of the Con. This is going to be a blast! Hopefully we can get some other more distant groups interested in attending as well. I would love to see some of the New York, New England, and Western PA people make the trip out for the weekend.

The events look great to me. Here are a couple of quick questions:
1) Will the Saturday evening event be the "Main Event" or are they all going to be equal? Also, will we need a six hour time block for a five round event?

2) Can we please allow Marvel into the Heroes only tournament?

Here is the information for the Days Hotel:
Rooms are available with a group discount rate of $89 plus tax. To receive the group rate for hotel rooms, call the Days Hotel at 610-692-1900 and mention the code “MechaniCon Conference”. Any cancellations of reservations within 24 hours from the date of arrival will be billed for one (1) night’s room and tax.

If you split a room with a friend or three, the rates really are very reasonable. Also, everyone should remember that the fun doesn't have to stop once the HS events are over for the day. I would love to get in some other games like Battleship Galaxies, Battlestar Galactica, or whatever else somebody wants to play after the tournaments on Friday and Saturday.
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:11 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Could we start the 2d event an hour later, from 4-9? I'd love to be able to have a look around the event, or maybe bust out some SW or BG with some of you guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will want some non-Scape time, too.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 1st, 2011, 10:48 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!
Re: M.A.R.S. at Mechanicon NHSD Event

This is going to be great! Thanks to MW for taking the lead on this and getting us into Mechanicon!

I have updated the op with the event info which I understand is subject to change.

We should also discuss glyphs and who will volunteer for maps,setup, cleanup etc... Many hands make light work.

As for myself and attending, this is just to far in the future atm. I will certainly be there for Saturday, but Fri. and Sun. are unclear. I hope to make all three days but won't know till closer to game time. I will do whatever I can to help on Saturday though.

R˙chean has always stepped up in the past and given great support for NHSD events and I would expect nothing less this year.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:07 PM

Re: M.A.R.S. at Mechanicon NHSD Event

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom View Post
The events look great to me. Here are a couple of quick questions:
1) Will the Saturday evening event be the "Main Event" or are they all going to be equal? Also, will we need a six hour time block for a five round event?
Probably not, if we do 50 minute rounds. If we did 60 minute rounds then I'd prefer to have the buffer in case we have games going to time. I'm thinking though, for ease of administration, to run 50 minute rounds for all events, which gives us 10 minutes in between for score updates, map/player assignments, etc. I'm thinking that by its very nature the Saturday evening event will feel like the Main Event but I'm hoping to treat them all equally from a prize support standpoint - depending on Friday/Sunday attendance of course.

Quote:
2) Can we please allow Marvel into the Heroes only tournament?
I would love to use the Gencon format if everyone is ok with it - meaning Marvel allowed.

Quote:
Also, everyone should remember that the fun doesn't have to stop once the HS events are over for the day. I would love to get in some other games like Battleship Galaxies, Battlestar Galactica, or whatever else somebody wants to play after the tournaments on Friday and Saturday.
I plan to be there until very, very late. Battlestar Galactica is a must play in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Could we start the 2d event an hour later, from 4-9? I'd love to be able to have a look around the event, or maybe bust out some SW or BG with some of you guys. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will want some non-Scape time, too.
Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem if we do 50 minute rounds. It would give us a bit more time for lunch too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
We should also discuss glyphs and who will volunteer for maps,setup, cleanup etc... Many hands make light work.
This has been on my mind. Later this week I'm going to start looking at my stuff and seeing what an optimal map pool might be given my sets. I think I can get 8-10 maps out of my stuff if I do it right. We'll need additional help on that front as that's a normal tournament load and I'm hoping to blow the doors off of Saturday.
Quote:
Love the formats, but 400 pts. for general wars seems a little slim to me. I'm a fan of the 500pt ones, but I understand keeping it changed up if that is what you were thinking.
I'm leaning this way for two reasons: time, as Clan suggested, and because there are some really fun builds at the lower point totals that we don't see all that often. I'm open to adjusting it though if everyone would like to go up to, say, 450.

I'm also considering some stuff like achievements throughout the weekend - things like most mindshackles and most 1 hit KOs. Keep it simple but maybe have a small bit of swag for the person with the achievement. I'd like to get some fun trophies going too - we haven't done that in a while. And, if Johngee is coming, I think he could do a wicked display map - heck, that monster he brought on Saturday would be awesome.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day