Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 16th, 2009, 09:37 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Games with Glyphs

If a game of Heroscape uses glyphs, would it be considered "competetive?"

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work

Last edited by 'Scaper94; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Ullar/utgar own is surprisingly tart
Re: Games with Glyphs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post

(And I don't need or want any smart comments from nosey Onacara!)
A game with glyphs could be considered competitive or casual depending on how serious you are playing. Also you may not want to make Onacara angy. You won't like Onacara when he's angry!

I love it when a plan comes together!
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Scaper94 View Post

(And I don't need or want any smart comments from nosey Onacara!)
Define competitive.

If you mean Tournament Style, then, yes, considering many BoV maps utilize Glyphs and many tournaments employ Glyph Pools.

If you mean "the opposite of a friendly game", well, I've never played one of those, even at a tournament.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I love when people try and antagonize me.

Glyphs are part of the game it doesn't make the game more competative or less. They can however affect which units you pick for your army. If there are glyphs you will see more use of Rats or Dwarves..if there aren't they are not as necessary.

Cav has it right..games should be freindly tournament or not.

Last edited by Onacara; July 16th, 2009 at 10:14 AM.
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Some glyphs tend to be disallowed at tournaments, like the Range +4 Glyph (range is already very powerful in HS). Most are considered fine so long as their placement doesn't compromise the balance of play on a map.

~Aldin, who notes that OVAH (my local tourney association) doesn't play with many glyphs

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Some glyphs tend to be disallowed at tournaments, like the Range +4 Glyph (range is already very powerful in HS). Most are considered fine so long as their placement doesn't compromise the balance of play on a map.

~Aldin, who notes that OVAH (my local tourney association) doesn't play with many glyphs
i.e. the most commonly used glyphs are:
  • Defense +1
  • Unique Attack +1
  • Common Attack +1 (sometimes)
  • d20 +1
  • Move +2
  • Initiative +8
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:51 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ok, thanks everyone!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Check out my multimedia work
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:54 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Migraine View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post

i.e. the most commonly used glyphs are:
  • Defense +1
  • Unique Attack +1
  • Common Attack +1 (sometimes)
  • d20 +1
  • Move +2
  • Initiative +8

Wound and Intercept Order are growing in popularity in the Northeast. I actually get frustrated when a BoV map that was designed with Glyphs in mind, is played without them. Many times glyphs are placed in order to bring fighting to more areas of the map, when they are excluded it can really detract from it IMO.

-insert signature here-
Old July 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Here's my take on this... As others have already pointed out, ALL games should be friendly and fun... but in terms of "competitive," it really depends on what perspective you're approaching it from.

No Glyphs: By having no glyphs on the board, the games tend to be more evenly played, with no player having an immense power-boost just from effortlessly stepping on a glyph. I've come to view glyphless games as more skill vs. skill games, where one doesn't win the game largely because one of their Sentinels flew onto a Defense +1 glyph, or a Minion lands on a +1 Common Attack glyph, etc, providing a huge impact on the In-Game-Value of their army.

Glyphs: By using glyphs in the game, it adds new tactical/strategic aspects. One needs to be more mindful of army composition to include some glyph grabbers/holders. Glyphs also create "hot-spots" or "contested ground" which naturally draw units to certain spots on the board. As long as glyphs are placed on hard-to-defend hexes (ie: on low ground), then they can really add a fun dimension.

Overall, I've come to play more glyphless games, just because it feels more straight head-to-head without those unknown variables skewing the army balances. But I also enjoy glyphs, as long as they're done right.

Glyphs to Avoid:

Defense +2: Really... who ever thought that this glyph was a good idea??!!

Range +4: Intercontinental Ballistic Missles simply shouldn't be allowed in this game.

Attack +1: Now that we have the attack glyph separated by Common/Unique, there's no need for this total-army enhancing attack booster.

Thorian: WOW.... this one is like the Defense +2 glyph... Exactly what were they smoking when this one was printed??? Game-Winner!

Negation: Also too game-changing. We have an elf wizard that has to work really, really, really hard to negate someone... we shouldn't be able to duplicate his hard-fought ability with a simple glyph-landing.

Any other glyph is fair game and can be a lot of fun. Some of my favs are Brandar and the pit trap, as one has to be aware that glyphs aren't always beneficial, and can actually sometimes hurt.

Happy 'Scapin!!!

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old July 16th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Ruler of the Damned

Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun Retlaw is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post
Any other glyph is fair game and can be a lot of fun. Some of my favs are Brandar and the pit trap, as one has to be aware that glyphs aren't always beneficial, and can actually sometimes hurt.

Happy 'Scapin!!!

SW8K
Brandar is the "undefined" glyph in that it has no set benefit/cost but is defined by the scenario. I guess if you are always using it as a negative it would be a trap, but it isn't negative by official design.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I feel like a noob , but can someone explain intercept order marker to me?

Thanks.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old July 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
I feel like a noob , but can someone explain intercept order marker to me?

Thanks.
• Glyph of Oreld (Intercept Order)
When one of your figures stops here, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 1 - 9, nothing happens. If your roll a 10 - 20, you may remove one random Order Marker from an opponent's Army Card

It's a temporary one time glyph.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion