Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Notices

Old June 14th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!
Re: Comics: what are you currently reading?

I haven't managed to check any of those books out myself. I've been meaning to pick up Future Quest, since Jeff Parker's Marvel work (Hulk, Thunderbolts, Agents of Atlas) is gold, and I think he's a good fit for that kind of book. I've only heard great things about Flintstones, as well.

Right now, I'm reading:
Thunderbolts
Currently on hiatus due to Marvel's event story Secret Empire. Kind of a mixed-bag title. The writer, Jim Zub, has the characters' voices down for the most part, though his Moonstone isn't tricky enough for my tastes. She's every bit as treacherous as she should be, but not quite as subtle. Anyway, the book's a pretty fun romp, held back by how it's regressing some of its lead characters to old status quos that they've grown beyond.

Also, the art is bizarre. Main artist John Malin is a disciple of Liefeld and it shows. Going for that art style would make sense as a fun throwback on say, a Deadpool book or an X-Force book, where it would resonate with how the title was drawn during its heyday. It feels a little odder to try and fit that particular brand of early-90s nostalgia into Thunderbolts, a title that didn't even exist until '97.

I don't think this book would be earning my money otherwise, but Thunderbolts is the one book that I collect unconditionally and have the full run of (discounting the Marvel NOW!/Red Hulk Thunderbolts run, which isn't really a Thunderbolts book). So I'll be back on board if and when it comes back from hiatus. Really wish Nick Spencer was writing it. He's got a strong affinity for the characters and the book is really his brainchild anyway.

Venom
My only other "character commitment" book. They just had a big anniversary issue with Eddie Brock reclaiming the role of Venom after spending over a decade wearing other hats. Hard to get too excited about it, though. That issue didn't make a particularly strong case for bringing Eddie back, with a story that seemed to basically get the Eddie/symbiote dynamic, but not the concept of subtlety. Still, some really great Tradd Moore art in that one. Sandoval is pretty strong as a regular artist as well. Just wish he had some better scripts to work with.

Jessica Jones
Loving this one. Bendis has had a lot of misfires over the last few years, so it's a relief to see him coming back to familiar territory (now made much more famous by Netflix) and really rocking it. Fun superhero noir with some lightly meta commentary on the state of the Marvel U.

All-Star Batman
These are some big dang Batman stories. Batman and Two-Face on a roadtrip, with the entire country out to stop them? Batman, criss-crossing the globe to stop a series of doomsday scenarios set in motion by Ra's al Ghul? Not quite typical Bat-fare, but man is it a lot of fun. And some genuinely all-star artists have been working on this one, too. Shalvey, Jock, JRJr, and more. But the thing that strikes me most about this book is just how human Bruce is. There's a scene in the very first issue, where Batman is brawling with a couple supervillains and gets thrown into a diner, panicking everyone inside. That leads to this moment. Not the sort of moment most people write for the Caped Crusader, but I really like it. This title also has back-up features with the training of Duke Thomas, Batman's latest ward (who, as has been repeatedly noted, is not a Robin).

Batman
Mixed feelings on this one. I've really enjoyed some of the character work done with Batman and Catwoman in here (some of which you may have heard about in the news lately), but I haven't really enjoyed all the larger story arcs. "I Am Gotham" and "I Am Suicide" were alright, but not great, and "I Am Bane" felt more than a little hollow. Tom King is an absolutely brilliant writer, though, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and stick around a while longer. If he does more stories like his Swamp-Thing issue and his Catwoman-centric interludes, I'll be a happy camper.

Deathstroke
Probably my favorite book I'm reading right now - Chris Priest is the definitive Black Panther writer, and has a real knack for writing master planner type characters. In Deathstroke, most of the characters are a couple steps ahead of the reader, and Deathstroke himself is more like three or four. Lots of labyrinthine plots and schemes. Interestingly, the through-line here is Deathstroke's family. Specifically, his children and how he relates to them. Deathstroke is the world's greatest supervillain, but a far cry from the world's greatest dad. And he's working to change that, but he's awful at it and tries to do it in the only way he can - by being a supervillain.

The title's first story arc involves his daughter, Rose - someone has put a hit out on her and she temporarily teams with her father both for protection, and in order to figure out who put out the hit. The culprit turns out to be Deathstroke himself, who did it in order to manufacture an excuse to spend time with his daughter. Deathstroke's other attempts to reconnect with his kids are no less sad or terrifying.

Kill or Be Killed
I've got a lot of friends who love Ed Brubaker's crime comics. This is the first that I've picked up, and I can see what they're talking about. The protagonist (and his romantic interest) are both interesting characters, and the book really takes a lot of time getting inside their heads and really fleshing them out, amidst all the murder and mayhem. It puts a very fun spin on what's otherwise a pretty straightforward pulpy book (with a supernatural twist... maybe).

Also on my pull list is Black Science, but I'm a little behind on that one, because I missed an issue last year and only just recently tracked it down.
Old June 14th, 2017, 11:39 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

As an old Corto Maltese fan, I've just discovered that there is a lot of animation on his available on youtube--a TV series and a whole bunch of movies, made fairly recently. The first one I watched was very good. If you don't know the name, check wikipedia. I had some interesting adventures regarding him in Venice, many years ago.

And what was the name of that South American nation Vicki Vale had just returned from in the first Michael Keaton movie?
Old June 14th, 2017, 01:00 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I had a subscription for the Thunderbolts going as well but after the last issue I got it looked like they were ending it and each characters story would conclude in different Secret Empire issue. I called them up and transferred the remaining issues of my subscription to another title as a result. I asked the person on the phone if it had been canceled before hand and they seemed to think that it was over, but they might have just not been informed on it's eventual return.
Old June 14th, 2017, 05:25 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I had a subscription for the Thunderbolts going as well but after the last issue I got it looked like they were ending it and each characters story would conclude in different Secret Empire issue. I called them up and transferred the remaining issues of my subscription to another title as a result. I asked the person on the phone if it had been canceled before hand and they seemed to think that it was over, but they might have just not been informed on it's eventual return.
Marvel is rarely upfront about why things come and go, and it's their usual wont to cancel things by just disappearing them from the solicits, with no announcement. Thunderbolts ticked those boxes, so it's not crazy to think it was canceled. Marvel hasn't officially said anything on it, I don't think, so I suppose it's technically canceled for now. Jim Zub has said it's on a break and that he 'hopes' to pick it up again after Secret Empire.

To me, that implies that the creators intend for it to continue, but it may yet turn out that editorial and executives have other plans. Depending on how much the higher-ups liked the sales of #1-12 and how much they want to keep investing in the T-Bolts, it may come back with a different creative team, or it may not come back at all.
Old June 16th, 2017, 01:24 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I haven't read much in the way of physical Comic books, or Graphic Novels, so I'm sorry to say I can't really contribute much to that conversation. However, I have read a few Webcomics over the years. Notable ones I am caught up on, or have finished are; 8-bit Theater, Homestuck, Lackadaisy, XKCD, TwoKinds, Looking for Group with NPC, Buttersafe, UberQuest, and GaMERCaT. I have read a little of Romantically Apocalyptic, but I'm not very far. I also read Ava's Demon, but I'm not caught up currently.

I recently read the entirety of the One Punch Man Manga online. I plan to buy physical copies of all the released English chapters. I think I might read Hero Academia next.
Old November 17th, 2017, 09:55 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just picked up today but not read yet:

1. North and South, the fifth giant hard back Library Edition of the Avatar the Last Airbender sequels. Gotta read 'em all!

2. The first three volumes of the Boom Comics sequel to the movie Big Trouble In Little China, coauthored by John Carpenter himself. The board game is due out after Christmas. Its designer is local, and so may drop by to run a game for my gang!
Old November 17th, 2017, 11:31 PM

LeiaBlaze Woo who?

My current Pull List includes:

Saga, which for my money is the best comic on the market right now. Tons of fun, and Brian K. Vaughn finds a new way to break my heart every single issue. Love it.

Ms. Marvel, my current favorite superhero comic right now. That used to belong to Wonder Woman, but the arc by James Robinson has pissed me off so much that I am not reading it until that boils over.

Gwenpoole, a complete and total headtrip. Seriously, if you enjoy Multiversity levels of meta, pick it up. The latest issue had some of the best uses of panel space I have seen in my life.

WWE, a surprisingly good comic that fills in the gaps between one of the biggest stories in recent memory: the breakup of the SHIELD. Each member gets their own spotlight arc, and they all come off as likable and interesting. Even that bastard Seth Rollins.

And now I'm catching up on Nightwing's first solo series, which, despite some hilarious artwork, is a lot of fun. Street level heroics works for the guy a lot.

I've also heard good things about Wicket + Divine, the new Runaways series, and the current run of Batwoman.
Old November 18th, 2017, 12:30 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiaBlaze View Post

Saga, which for my money is the best comic on the market right now. Tons of fun, and Brian K. Vaughn finds a new way to break my heart every single issue. Love it.

Ms. Marvel, my current favorite superhero comic right now. That used to belong to Wonder Woman, but the arc by James Robinson has pissed me off so much that I am not reading it until that boils over.

Gwenpoole, a complete and total headtrip. Seriously, if you enjoy Multiversity levels of meta, pick it up. The latest issue had some of the best uses of panel space I have seen in my life.

WWE, a surprisingly good comic that fills in the gaps between one of the biggest stories in recent memory: the breakup of the SHIELD. Each member gets their own spotlight arc, and they all come off as likable and interesting. Even that bastard Seth Rollins.

And now I'm catching up on Nightwing's first solo series, which, despite some hilarious artwork, is a lot of fun. Street level heroics works for the guy a lot.

I've also heard good things about Wicket + Divine, the new Runaways series, and the current run of Batwoman.
Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site. Nice to see new people still joining after all these years.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 18th, 2017, 04:52 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiaBlaze View Post

My apologies, but I was just wondering - seeing a comic fan joining the site, have you heard of C3G? Bloody amazing custom project incorporating tonnes of comic heroes into Heroscape - well worth checking out! Breathes new life into the game.

Welcome to the site.

~Lazy Orang, always happy to see new blood.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old November 18th, 2017, 04:54 PM

LeiaBlaze Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
My apologies, but I was just wondering - seeing a comic fan joining the site, have you heard of C3G? Bloody amazing custom project with incorporating tonnes of comic heroes into Heroscape.

Welcome to the site.

~Lazy Orang, always happy to see new blood.

I haven't checked it out yet, but I've heard nothing but good things!
Old November 18th, 2017, 05:17 PM
Symbiotic

Been a while since I've read Saga or Ms. Marvel, but they're both stellar books that I'll have to catch up on sometime. Yet to tackle Gwen Pool, but I'm glad to see Chris Hastings (creator of Doctor McNinja!) getting work at Marvel.

I don't have too much to contribute here since my pull list is about the same as the last time I posted. (Give or take a book)

I really enjoyed the latest issue of Deathstroke, with the Society of Super-Villains putting Slade on trial and Riddler speaking for the defense. It has me really looking forward to Priest's Justice League run.

A page from said comic, where the Society devolves into arguing about whether or not they're evil:
Spoiler Alert!
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:49 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

@Ronin ...I am about to start the Deathstroke series really soon. Mostly based on your recommendation and our ongoing discussion.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics