Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old May 27th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Inheritance is trash and I also a think Harry Potter is just as bad. Albeit Harry Potter not being Star Wars in LOTR, being decently written, and well.....ok Harry Potter is good I just don't think it's the best thing since Ice Cream as everyone makes it out to be. Personally in my 16 years of life one of the best books I've ever read was

and like HP and Eragon it has a crappy movie adaptation and has a new one coming out.

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
OK, hold up there, FT. Harry Potter is great stuff. I can't wait for Deathly Hallows. I will say that she sort of lost it for Order of the Phoenix, but it still wasn't crap. She just tried to put in too much book.

My favorite series is Song of Ice and Fire, from GRR Martin. But Harry Potter is good, too.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 27th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Templar
Harry Potter is good I just don't think it's the best thing since Ice Cream as everyone makes it out to be.
I really just don't think it's that good and to the fact that many young adult think Harry Potter and Inheritance is the next Shakesphere work is really sad. Thats really the only reason I dislike HP is probably because it really just seems so.... average. Theirs just so many teenage fantasy angst adventure now that it just blends into the crowd....

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old May 28th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Remember when the Lord of the Rings movies came out, and gamers called them cliche fantasy? That's kind of how it work with Harry Potter. Who do you think created the angsty kid wizard sub-genre of novels? You may be too young to remember, but ten years ago, the angst-ridden young fantasy hero was non-existent. Harry Potter IS the original angsty kid fantasy hero. It blends into the crowd because there are a bajillion imitators.

When the first one came out, there was nothing like it. Now you can't swing a dead cat in a bookstore without hitting some story about the ordinary kid who finds out he's magical, and has to be whisked away to magic school/magic tutelage/temple of magic training/magic university of magic/god camp.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 28th, 2007, 03:42 AM

dra(gon) has disabled reputation
harry potter is a good series but the movies get even badder because the books goning bigger and bigger und the movies shorter and shorter.
part one has mst every thing in the book.

te movies find watchers but such a great series need that the movies so cut out.

i think the nxt hp is a cgi seies hat has all things from every book.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM

tmacdagreat has disabled reputation
I hate Harry Potter I like Artemis Fowl better.

«cookie - once you have it, you love it.»
http://www.heroscapers.com/images/05.gif
Old June 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM

oogiezone Woo who?
I realize I'm coming to this discussion a little late, but the fact that the relationships in this book are patterned after Star Wars doesn't bother me in the least. I really enjoy these books, and I really hate Star Wars. I'm glad that Paolini made the story into something that I enjoy.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:12 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
I don't see why everyone slams it. I seem to remember being yelled at for calling Avatar stupid. Now Imax (the one who called me stupid) Is doing what I did and is not being told off for it in the least. *chough*double standard*chough* I get in trouble for everything because I'm a kid and I'm getting sick and tired of it. Stop being biased because of my age. It's freakin annoying. I love Eragon and Eldest yet I thought the movie sucked. Everyone thinks the movie sucked. But lots of people like the book so you have no right to call the book horrible Imax. I hate the double standard on this site.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelord
But lots of people like the book so you have no right to call the book horrible Imax.
So no one is allowed to have a negative opinion about something that you or lots of people like?
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM
ToysRUs Kid

No. That's not what I said. But I am sure that the people who like this book take offense to him sidling in and bashing the book. As I said, I got yelled at for calling Avatar a stupid show because everyone else liked it. I just want the same standard for him as there was for me. I'm sick and tired of people treating me differently because I'm a kid.

Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:31 PM

oogiezone Woo who?
Taelord- It's pretty obvious from my post count that I'm not around a lot here on the boards, but it seems to me, that everyone is allowed to express their opinions about objects (books, movies, music, HS figures, whatever) whether they have a positive OR a negative opinion of that prticular object. For ex, i can say that Pepsi is awesome or that Pepsi is the worst soda ever, and both of those would be okay.

What is NOT okay and what gets people in trouble here on the boards is expressing negative opinions about people. For ex, it would not be appropriate for me to say that, "Everyone who doesn't like Pepsi is a moron, because Pepsi is the best soda ever," or "Yuck, Pepsi is gross, you're dumb if you like Pepsi."

I hope this makes things a little more clear for you, and anyone else reading this. There is a distinction between attacking a person and expressing a negative opinion of an object. If you feel like you're being yelled at, take another look at what you wrote and see if maybe you didn't say what you ment or if you are misinterpreting the criticism you are receiving.

And, since I haven't been around much, I had no idea you were a kid and wouldn't have until you said something. I like to think that I treat everyone the same way regardless of age, and I'm sorry if what you've experienced here hasn't always been that way.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:43 PM
ToysRUs Kid

Well thank you for your kind words. I looked through al the pages in this section, but could not find the thread. I do not care if you want to express yuor opinion, but if you are going to, don't yell at someone else for doing it in turn. That's what's got me mad.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books