Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Notices

Old September 28th, 2021, 01:16 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 1 until 9/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
550 Points
Jabberwock (Valda, Wannok)
Kevindola: Acolytes x6, Corvor, Caylus, Marcu
Muskie: Ataraxis, Specters x4, Iskra, Rechets, Bol, Isamu, Marcu

Survivors: Covor (6 life), Marcu, Caylus (1 life), 5 Acolytes

Gameplay

Covor didn't come out until Round 6, so the first 5 rounds included an attempt by Muskie's Marcu to take Valda (beaten down by Acolytes before he use it), and a lot of setup of slow rolling acolytes vs. Specters. With Ataraxis and Iskra moving up.

I was ok trading specters for Acolytes in the early going and took my chances. I also used on order marker on Caylus in the third round which helped my setup and attack boosts and to take Wannok.

Muskie decided to go aggressive and leave Ataraxis' aura in order to try and knock out Caylus, but his 5 life held up and Caylus hung on with 1 life (although he did not receive another order marker). The acolytes went cold for a round only getting 1 kill in 9 attacks, some with height while Caylus was being attacked.

Finally in Round 5, Iskra summoned the rechets, but he kept two on the height on the hill and the other one was blocked by Caylus.

I won initiative and round 6 and it was huge. I summoned Corvor and between Avatar of Corruption and Acolyte attacks I knocked out the Rechets and got Corvor up on the height.

By that time the specters were really thinned out and I still had a lot of acolytes left. I was able to systematically eliminate the filler heroes and had the luxury of saving Ataraxis for last to prevent any Phylactery. gg Muskie!

Powers and Abilities

Ataraxis
-Terror Field: 5 times, really played into how and when I summoned Corvor though, as Corvor really wants the ability to disengage to maximize Avatar

-Phylactery - not used, killed as the last figure

-Wormhole - used once in the endgame to switch places with Iskra while engaged to Corvor

Caylus - received 1 OM, but drew a lot of fire

Enfeeble: Not used.
Moves boosted: 5
Attacks boosted: 4

Comments
Caylus
For 55 points, Caylus needs a life reduction to 4. I'm warming up to the idea of a possible ranged attack and attack reduction, but his single order marker was useful for getting good charges in with Acolytes

Ataraxis
-I was able to play around Phylactery this game pretty easily since I still had a healthy number of Acolytes left when the specters were eliminated, and in any of my games it hasn't been an issue with multiple respawns although I am sympathetic with those who have

-Wormhole, does feel like a little much to use and then move, especially with free disengage.

-Terror field. The lockdown is really problematic for a lot of large/huge figures I've seen, and I'm not sure I'm a fan. I'm wondering if large/huge should be immune, or certain personalities (like Demonic Terrifying Corvor). There were some concerns that the movement restriction part of this power wasn't that useful, and i think that's true against squads or small/medium heroes. But it has proved crippling potential against large/huge heroes and I'm not sure that's the intention.
Kevin did a great summary. Just adding my thoughts about Ataraxis. I think she is a character that is priced well and really brings some forgotten figures back into the game. I am not a patient player, and should have sat in her aura longer. The aura really helps, but the 3 life balances the play. If you work around it (like Kevin did) she is not overpowered. I agree that the Freezing movement (forgot the name) is not really used, but could be deadly when combined with a huge figure. I think she is fine without it.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old September 28th, 2021, 01:35 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quick Thoughts

As BB alluded to Kolby and Atraxi only had a mild impact on gameplay. Had Atraxi not taken two wounds in the early going (from 2 3 v. 6s which should only happen roughly 12% of the time) I would've put her in a much more advantageous position and been able to use the Skeletons a lot more effectively. She works REALLY well with them even if you don't get to use the terror field as effectively. You do want to make sure she is within 5 spaces of a hero as often as you can which isn't always easy to pull off but it's very doable. Placing her on Kolby meant that BB was a bit limited in how he played and it definitely saved Cyprien from some attacks because the squaddies were busy making sure he didn't cause Kolby to chill out and bring Atraxi back. I really want to play more games with her and I think she is going to be an interesting figure and one of my favorites from this eventual set. That said, there is some weird thematics with the Wildwoods but I don't think that's a dealbreaker.

Seeing Kolby this game massively improved my opinion of him since both VD and I were operating under the assumption that a lot of his abilities activate on OM activation not turn activation. He is easily the best Tribesman giving a long ranged attack that can be activated with War Cry and he makes the Teeth and Mohicans work together really nicely. Most of his abilities are niche and most of his value comes from the left side and his stats but they are always going to be nice to haves.

I probably win this game if Cyprien doesn't manage to go from 0 wounds to 6 in two turns while sitting on a shadow space. Even with that, I still could've pulled it out if the other members of my team hadn't also decided to collapse.

~Dysole, revivifying
Old September 28th, 2021, 05:35 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 2 until 10/4

Apologies for the late Battle Report. I played Captain Stupendous a week ago and well here is how it went.

This was by a great deal the most chaotic game mentally for me to keep track of.
Besides playing a deeply descriptive synergized team, there were several occasions where the rules of the game itself changed for me with rules I had learned incorrectly, very much skewing the results of what could have been a more interesting game flow. Regardless there was much to analyze on the playtest units in play.

I'd like to list the occasions of which the rules changed for me, what effect it had and why I had improper information. The first happened right off the bat being Ornak's Red Flag Aura. The heroscape wiki for whatever reason has a prototype card which allows the use of this ability on OM3 rather than OM1. This did not affect things much, just startled my foreseeing of Round 1's flow.

The second of mistakes, another Heroscape Wiki misinformation which I see 'KnightofLight" was also affected by in his game, that Large and Huge double based figures could benefit from shadow being on only one shadow space instead of needing to be on two.
This hiccup actually felt more significant to the game as I engaged Torin head on with my Lizardfolk heroes, thinking they would do quick work with him. Only after the 3rd or 4th roll with +1 defense did I question why he was getting the bonus.
By this time, my heroes were locked up in combat unable to move because of Ataraxis Terror Field.

To note: My attack rolls were bad enough and his good enough that his defense rolls were all blocked by an excess of 2 anyway.

After these two instances, I was pretty flustered by the turnout and a bit upset with the wiki.

For the remaining mistakes of my own making. I didn't pay attention to Etiana's ability update since I didn't think I'd end up playing her, but this team seemed like it would be fun and I had some previous experience with some of the characters.
The other misplay was not using C'Rik's Holographic Projector during the earlier phase of wound trading. Perhaps it may have helped a bit or may have not been in sight. And I believe it was overlooked because of all the other chaos going on.

Now to describe the rest of the match and Unit thoughts.
C'Rik during all of this was the most useful and was the only one who was able to move around and do some damage. Killing Ornak and Torin (losing Torin an OM). I really like C'rik, though I was worried about his low survivability.

For a minute, things looked almost favoring once the hill top was cleared of Ataraxis. For some reason I had believed Ataraxis could only Phylactery to a nearby undead like with her necrotizing wormhole and was thus dead for good, and thought that Captain Stupendous putting her on Maekor was a joke.
Once Isamu finally slew Maekor who I carelessly brought out to 1v1 (Maekor being Jandar) (Isamu vanishing twice), Ataraxis came back essentially ending the game.
I had Etiana full health left sitting on Wannok and he had, Isamu, Ataraxis and Iskra all full health.

We had some discussion on the playtest units after the match.
Ataraxis applying her own ranged attack with the terror field for -1 defense felt a bit strange to me thematically and was another of the numerous bits to her kit which caught me by surprise.

Etiana was useful again as a body shield next to Janos. I still enjoyed her with her change, but really wanted to give C'Rik a turn with her. Her late game felt a bit more interesting as her positioning felt more important and her range actually felt like it could be useful.

Janos rolled some pretty bad defense but stayed long enough to provide a decent amount of bonded turns. His positioning was not the greatest, partly due to the whole lockup situation.

Maekor and Bambina I've playtested before at home and I really enjoy their designs as counterparts to eachother. Maekors Company defensive is extremely useful and fun themeatically.
In this game they spent most of their time trading with Torin. Maekor did however manage to get a couple clean Arc Blades killing some blade gruts which was nice and may have been the one to kill Ataraxis.

C'Rik. I thought he was the more odd player in this team at first and not having the bonding with Etiana was amiss to my favoring. Forgetting his holograph did not help, but he certainly dished out some damage getting behind the engagements. His theme had me somewhat wanting him to have range at first, but his 2x separate hits of 2x was plenty when used well.

As are the Elves to play for the first time, such a combination can get pretty complicated to keep track of. I think this wouldn't have been as much an issue in real world play and with finalized cards, but in the scenario of this match being online, not having finalized cards, having the freaking wiki mess you up multiple times, etc, this team for this match was an absolute nightmare. I hope it does not come off that I'm complaining a bunch, but hope you can understand my frustrations. Would like to forget about this one, but look forward to playing any of these again in the future under a new light.
Old September 28th, 2021, 10:12 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just finished with Vegie Dad.

Fun game; Kalagrith got a chance to shine (albeit in a loss).

I spent an early OM to develop Sonlen, which I think was a mistake as it let Vegie Dad charge in quick with 1 Basher + goblins (aided by Valda). I was able to kill the Basher, but not until the turn after he killed Raelin, which was a poor opening trade for me.

I had Kalagrith + greenscales on the hill protecting wanok most of the game after that, and Kalagrith killed a ton of goblins but was never able to kill the 2nd basher. Vegie Dad slowly killed Sonlen and the greenscales and eventually brought down Kalagrith (who had been dancing between the central 4 heights) with attacks from below. Vegie Dad won with 5 goblins, a full life basher, and a 2 life Urk (who did nothing but take a wanok wound).

I think that early Sonlen OM was the biggest mistake I made, since Raelin likely would have lasted most of the game without it.

gg!

Thoughts on testing figures:

Kalagrith - I like Kalagrith's SA a lot; it was fun and challenging to deploy (having to avoid hitting your own units, maximizing # of attacks while protecting the dragon, etc.). The dragon lasted a long time this game, even without Raelin, probably longer than it should have, but attacks of 2 aren't very high to do much damage with and the dragon had height most of the time. With the 7th life though survivability feels good (long, but not overpowering). I thought the figure played well, although I'm not sure where I'd slot it yet on a dragon power ranking list.
Playstyle wise, it feels most similar to Mimring with needing to avoid hitting your own screen with the SA, but definitely different enough to feel unique.

Ziggo - Ziggo hit his first Environment suit to avoid taking 3 wounds from a Kalagrith SA, which let him survive for a lot longer than he would have without it. After that, Ziggo mostly just held a high ground spot until he was used as expendable rabble for the last basher. Taunt wasn't super useful, but that's partly because I was using mostly SAs and didn't have a ton of greenscales for normal attacks.
Old September 29th, 2021, 01:43 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
I played Shiftrex last Friday. I had his Kala/crypto/MW army, he had demons, corvor, and Caylus.

I moved Kala up early, but I forgot that Caylus boosts not just attack but move with Brutal Taskmaster, so shiftrex got three engagements I thought I was safe from. However, her defense held from the high perch, and it ended up being a beautiful mistake when I triple disengaged and fragged all three cultists (plus a hit on Caylus). The move glyph makes Kalagrith pretty amazing.

Corvor got out and held out for a very long time, killing Kalagrith and a crypto and taking another crypto down to 1 life. However, I was thinning out the cultists the whole time, and Corvor had 2 or 3 no-wound turns to take out Cultists for me. Shiftrex resigned when it was a 1-life Corvor, Johnny, and a wounded Caylus against 2 cryptos (one nearly dead) and the Marro Warriors.

Caylus was solid this game. Once Corvor is out a Caylus OM isn't worth the investment, but he's solid both in early game and, potentially, in late game too. The taskmaster boost was big and so was the one time Kala got enfeebled.

Kala was great. I had to take a big disengage to get the big hit in with her, but I like that risk/reward aspect to her play. She doesn't just sit behind a screen like the boring dragons do, she wants to mix it up.
Not much more to say here.

My perception of Kalagrath is much the same as it was last round. She is very good if she gets movement, I rolled pretty poorly on attacks vs her when I got the surround with 4a on my cultists early game and only got 1 for an LEA. That being said, the game showcased how she is a good risk vs reward investment.

I will echo the feeling on Father Caylus, he definitely is not worth an order marker while Corvor is on the field. Perhaps with a weaker demon but I'm not sure that you would want to rely on a weaker demon when their failure spells -1 cultist for you.

Enfeeble is good but Caylus being a melee figure means that you give up so much to use it, even being garunteed, that I don't think I'll use him often aside from early game or late game if my demon gets killed.
Old September 29th, 2021, 08:34 AM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Format: 550 points / 24 hexes
Map: Jabberwock

Glyphs: Valda, Wannok

Vydar_XLIII Army: Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the Kolbjorn moon? Mohican River Tribe x3, Teeth of the Makwa x 3, Brave Arrow, Kolbjorn
KnightOfLight Army: Marcus Decimus Antus Red Ants of Aunstrum x4, Kaemon Awa, Amberhive Queen, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Gen. Simon Fraser, Marcu Esenwein

Battle Report:
Spoiler Alert!

Surviving Units:
KnightOfLight Surviving Units: 5/16 Red Ants of Aunstrum, Kaemon Awa (3/4 wounds), Amberhive Queen (0/4 wounds), Marcus Decimus Gallus (0/6 wounds), Gen. Simon Fraser (0/3 wounds), Marcu Esenwein (2/6 wounds). 338 points surviving.
Vydar_XLIII Surviving Units: Brave Arrow (3/4 wounds), Kolbjorn (4/5 wounds). 28 points surviving.

Playtest Unit Statistics:
Spoiler Alert!

Additional Thoughts:
The Amberhive Queen didn’t do anything this game. Literally, no turns, no powers. No change in opinion.

Kolbjorn was really good with the Mohicans. Ranged bonding is good, no surprise to anyone. I wish I had more Mohicans and no Makwa this game. The idea of using the Makwa as a bonding screen didn’t really work well in practice since the MRT needs to be engaged to get the bonding. Kolbjorn got a few attacks off of war cries early until I brought in Brave Arrow to tie up Kaemon (which he failed at damaging for 3 rounds, but I digress). Giant Hunter would have been used in this game had KoL used the Amberhive Queen at all. After the game, KoL did say that the Giant Hunter power did scare him and made him play without her. So I guess it was indirectly helpful. Call to the Hunt is interesting in theory, but in this game the time that I would have swapped to Teeth came at the end of a round. I maybe could have done it a turn earlier but I don’t see it making much difference to the outcome. I’ll echo Dysole’s thought that this power is likely better with a late-game Hunter hero rather than the Makwa.

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old September 29th, 2021, 11:32 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 3 until 10/18

Important Round 3 Announcement

If you and your opponent BOTH have 2 losses, please play your Round 3 games with the following changes:

Any set of players that would like to use these modifications for their match even if they do not have 2 losses we encourage to do so, but ONLY if both players agree to use these mods prior to army selections.

Spoiler Alert!

Round 3 is on Battlefield 23 (Dagmar, Holdir, Treasure Glyph x2).

The KnightofLight (2-0) v. BodaciousBlood (2-0) pool of armies is:
* Vortex spears : cathar spearmen X3, Altias of the Deep, Count Raymond, Byrikon the hiveless
* Marcus Decimus Antus : Red Ants of Aunstrum x4, Kaemon Awa, Amberhive Queen, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Gen. Simon Fraser, Marcu Esenwein
* Undead Legion.... IN SPACE! : Skeletons of Annellintia x2, Ataraxis, Cyprien Esenwein, Marcu Esenwein, Isamu
* Lizardfolk.... IN SPACE!: Greenscale Warriors x3, Maekor, Bambina, Etiana, Siiv
BodaciousBlood chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, KnightofLight chooses who places first.

The dok (2-0) v. Vydar's Girlfriend (2-0) pool of armies is:
* Arby's new Bacon, Rats, and Lizard special: deathreavers x1, Janos, Bambina, Rygarn, Maekor, Raelin (RotV)
* Sci Fi Double Feature: Greenscale Warriors x3, Goblin Slashers x2, Altais of the Deep, Ziggo, Kyntela Gwyn, Bol
* The Golden Queen: Greenscale Warriors x4, Kalagrith, Kaemon Awa, Eldgrim the Viking Champion
* The Bee Queen: Amberhive Protectors x4, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Major Q10, Siiv
dok chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Vydar's Girlfriend chooses who places first.

Please contact Vydar_XLIII to schedule games with Vydar's gf

The Knight of Scape (2-0) v. shiftrex (1-1) pool of armies is:
* The Guild of 90ish Point Heroes (+Ninjas): Janos, C'Rik, Rygarn, Etiana, Wastewalker Gage, Byrikon the Hiveless, Isamu, Otonashi
* Skeletons in Space: Skeletons of Annellintia x3, Ataraxis the Starlich, Marcu Esenwein, Iskra Esenwein
* The Court of Flames: Crypt Guardian x4 , Drow Chainfighter x2, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Eldgrim, Marcu Eldgrim
* Peaceful Missionaries: Acolytes of Vorganund x5, Corvor, Johnny Shotgun Sullivan, Master Caylus
Knight of Scape chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, shiftrex chooses who places first.

The S1R_ART0R1US (1-1) v. superfrog (1-1) pool of armies is:
* Buzz-killers: Amberhive Protectors x4, Byrikon the Hiveless, Amberhive Queen, Sujoah
* Fire From Above: Greenscale Warriors x4, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Syvarris
* Null and Void: Greenscale Warriors x4, Altais of the Deep, Raelin (RotV), Marro Warriors, Isamu
* Rebels with Causes: Capuan Gladiators x3, 53rd N. Carolina Sharpshooters x3, Crixus, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Bol
S1R_ART0R1US chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, superfrog chooses who places first.

The kevindola (1-1) v. Captain Stupendous (1-1) pool of armies is:
* Acolytic Corverter: Acolytes of Vorganund x6, Corvor the Tainted One, Master Caylus, Marcu Esenwein
* Hunter's Moon: Mohican River Tribe x5, Kolbjorn, Van Nessing, Bol
* Not the Boss of Me!: Capuan Gladiators x3, 53rd N. Carolina Sharpshooters x3, Crixus, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Otonashi
* Greil Mercenaries: Janos, Maekor, Bambina, C'Rik, Etiana, Maltis Tez
Captain Stupendous chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, kevindola chooses who places first.

The Dysole (1-1) v. Muskie (1-1) pool of armies is:
* Hit Me Baby one More Tribe: Mohican River Tribe x3, Teeth of the Makwa x 3, Brave Arrow, Kolbjorn
* Wherever I May Rome: Romans Legionnairres x4, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Azurite Warlord, Theracus
* Booooo!: Specters of Aldornx4, Ataraxis, Iskra, Rechets of Bogdan, Marcu Esenwein, Bol, Isamu
* Fire from above: Nhah Scirh Cultistsx4, Greenscale Warriors x1, Kalagrith
Muskie chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Dysole chooses who places first.

The Blue Trails (1-1) v. Sir Heroscape (1-1) pool of armies is:
* Never Doubt a Man Named ""Innocent"": Acolytes of Vorganund x3, Master Caylus, Skull Demon, Cathar Spearmen x2, Count Raymond, Marcu Esenwein
* Away Down South: Armoc Vipers x3, 53rd North Carolina Sharpshooters x2, Azurite Warlord, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Guilty McCreech
* Come at me Bro: Goblin Slashers x5, Bugbear Basher x3, Ziggo
* Alien Abduction: Children of the Dark Star x4, Gräbermund, Raelin (RotV), Swaysil, Marcu Esenwein
Blue Trails chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Sir Heroscape chooses who places first.

The Vydar_XLIII (1-1) v. vegie's dad (1-1) pool of armies is:
* Would you like to make Janos your default browser?: deathreavers x3, Janos, Bambina, Etiana, Maekor
* Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the Kolbjorn moon?: Mohican River Tribe x3, Teeth of the Makwa x 3, Brave Arrow, Kolbjorn
* Ziggo and the Blashers: goblin slashers x 5, bugbear bashers x2, Ziggo, Urk
* Big dragon, little dragon: Greenscales Warriors x2, Kalagrith, Sonlen, Raelin
vegie's dad chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Vydar_XLIII chooses who places first."

The vegietarian18 (1-1) v. AgentWard (0-2) pool of armies is:
* Why do the stars take so long to die?: Zombies x4, Zombie Hulk x2, Ataraxis the Star Lich, Marcu, Isamu
* Expeditious: Greenscales Warriors x2, Maekor, Bambina, Janos, Rygarn
* Sneaky or Tricky ?: Goblin Slashers x3, Nottingham Brigand x4, Master Caylus, Ziggo, Elaria, Arthur of Sherwood
* Z'THOTH!!!!!!!: Children of the Dark Star x4, Z'Thoth, Gräbermund
vegietarian18 chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, AgentWard chooses who places first.

The SchismaticSounds v. Chris Perkins pool of armies is:
* : Blade Gruts x2, Ataraxis, Isamu, Marcu, Iskra, Ornak, Bol, Torin
* Treacherous Deviants: Children of the Dark Star x2, Gräbermund, Death Chasers of Thesk x2, Gothlok, Guilty Mcreech
* God Save the Queen: Amberhive Protectors x5, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Eltahale
* Choose (Your Dragon) Wisely: Greenscale Warriors x4, Altais of the Deep, Othkurik the Black Dragon
SchismaticSounds chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Chris Perkins chooses who places first.

The Heroscaper Guy v. mtl1998 pool of armies is:
* : Children of the Dark Star x4, Z'Thoth, Gräbermund, Bol
* : Goblin Slashers x3, Nottingham Brigand x4, Bugbear Basher x2, Ziggo, Elaria
* : Acolytes of Vorganund x4, Caylus, Corvor, Kaemon Awa
* : Greenscale Warriors x3, Altais of the Deep, Krav Maga Agents, Sentinels of Grax
Heroscaper Guy chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, mtl1998 chooses who places first.
Old September 30th, 2021, 08:03 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
The SchismaticSounds v. Chris Perkins pool of armies is:
* : Blade Gruts x2, Ataraxis, Isamu, Marcu, Iskra, Ornak, Bol, Torin
* Treacherous Deviants: Children of the Dark Star x2, Gräbermund, Death Chasers of Thesk x2, Gothlok, Guilty Mcreech
* God Save the Queen: Amberhive Protectors x5, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Eltahale
* Choose (Your Dragon) Wisely: Greenscale Warriors x4, Altais of the Deep, Othkurik the Black Dragon
SchismaticSounds chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Chris Perkins chooses who places first.
Playing Saturday (10/2) @ 10 am Eastern.
Old October 2nd, 2021, 11:37 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Vegie Dad posting
Round 2 playtest game against Chris Perkins. He played my Kalagrith/greenscale army. I played the Slasher/Bashers and Ziggo.
The matchup was both of my armies and I wanted to see how much Kalagrith could kill with the scorched earth power. Kalagrith did not disappoint for kills, but did disappoint on durability. The slashers were constantly moving away from Kalagrith and giving her free reign to scorch. A normal army would crowd the dragon and force LEAs. I think Kalagrith needs to be able to take LEAs without punishment. This would improve the dragon quite a bit. If C3V wants a C dragon leave powers as is. If C3V wants a B+ dragon give it stealth flying.
The other figure that was tested was Ziggo. He pairs well with the slashers as nice range support. I used the Bashers as bonders more often. I was able to pull off and expendable rabble with the Bashers using Ziggo that freed up a height attack on Kalagrith. That was Ziggo's highlight. I would rate him at a B support figure.
Old October 2nd, 2021, 12:26 PM

Just finished up a crazy game with SchismaticSounds.

I opened fairly conservatively, building a screen of bees around the queen (who moved forward just 1 turn to cover most of the middle of the map with her auras). Schismatic also moved slowly, trying to keep the children & death chasers relatively even and together across the map.

I took a few initiative risks with +1 for Byrikon & +8 Dagmar. All the initiative risks paid off, but the corresponding normal attacks (I was sending bees outside of the auras to get heighted attacks) mostly missed, just killing 1 death chaser. I lost about 6 bees through these risks, as they were unable to retreat after missing most of the 2 v 2 attacks and still being engaged when the next round started.

The middle game consisted of children & death chasers charging my position around the queen. Most turns I was bonding with Byrikon for a ranged attack and then taking 1-2 bee SAs and 1-2 bee regular attacks. I was using SAs into children and regular attacks into death chasers mostly. I lost a lot of bees quickly though without killing a ton (dice weren't with me, I was at 37.74% attack at this point and Schismatic was at 63.16% attack and 42.86 % defense). I was focusing on getting both squads at/below 1 full activation though and despite not having much dice I eventually removed 4 children & 4 death chasers. I had lost about 12-13 bees at this point and had a wound on the queen.

Grabbermund then moved slowly around the right side of the map, grabbing Dagmar, while my remaining bees & Byrikon fought Gothlok and a few DCs/children on the left side of the map. Gothlok was a tank, taking over a round for me to get any wounds through at all, but once the wounds started to land Gothlok fell in just 2 turns to Byrikon + bee regular attacks from height. The remaining DCs managed another wound on the queen while Guilty came forward, but he wasn't able to do much. The queen quickly chased him down and Guilty died after 1 attack each from her & Byrikon. The children were all dead & 1 DC was left.

Grabbermund used this opportunity to sneak into my SZ and kill a full life Eltahale in just 1 turn via the SA. The 2nd attack did 1 wound and Grabbermund then rolled a 19 (+1 for the wound) to swallow Eltahale. Yikes, that SA hurt there.

I had the Queen (2 life), Byrikon, & 2 bees v. Grabbermund & 1 DC at this point.

I had one bee on Holdir, and the Queen charged Grabbermund, dealing 3 wounds, while a bee finished off the last DC. Grabbermund killed the Queen in 1 turn though via the SA. Grabbermund also killed the one bee near him. I then got a Byrikon heighted attack with Holdir off on Grabbermund that did 3 wounds and positioned my last bee as a blocker between Byrikon and Grabbermund.

Grabber won init and killed that last bee. Byrikon grabbed the Scarab of Invulnerability glyph and put 1 more wound on Grabber. Grabber then moved onto height and took the SA. The 1st attack did 1 wound, the 2nd would have done 2 more but the Scarab hit a 20 to ignore both of them. The 3rd & 4th attacks did 1 combined wound, leaving me with a 1 life Byrikon.

Byrikon then took an attack up at Grabber that did 1 more wound, putting him to 7 wounds total. Had the old version of Grabber been in play, he would have died, but with his 1 extra life it wasn't over yet. Grabber then tried another SA into Byrikon, but did 0 wounds across all 4 attacks (amazing luck for me there).

I won init the next round, moved Byrikon on even ground, and killed Grabber with a 1/3 -> 0/3 roll to end the game. Had that attack failed, Byrikon would have had his 1st chance to use 'Rapid Response', but it didn't end up being needed.

I won with a 1 life Byrikon in a super close endgame.

gg Schismatic!

Thoughts on testing units:

Amberhive Queen : Allowed for over 10 frenzy opportunities (I lost track of the exact # but I think it was 10-12) and I hit 2 or 3 of them. Only once did it allow me to kill something that I otherwise wouldn't have. I got a ton of SAs in, mostly via the Queen's aura, but they didn't do much this game. Again only approximate #s, but the SA from the bees was roughly 3 / 9 for doing any damage. The queen did some wounds on her own in the late game though into DCs, Guilty, and Grabber (the latter with the aid of the Holdir glyph). Her 6 move flying let her catch those stragglers easily enough and the 4 defense held everyone off except Grabber.

Byrikon : MVP of the game. He blocked 2 attacks in the mid-game with 2/2 defense rolls (lower defense b/c children or Gothlok aura) and then did most of the big damage to Grabber in the late game. He also put a few wounds on Gothlok mid-game and killed a few DCs / Children with his ranged attack. I very much used him as a ranged bonding hero throughout the game, trying to keep him relatively safe and alive as his attack is more than the bees can throw out on their own. He definitely over-lived what he should have done, especially late-game v. Grabber, but Byrikon put in a ton of work. Would have had a chance to use 'Rapid Response' on the last turn if I had needed the 2nd turn. was in range for the init boost throughout the whole game until the queen died but that +1 never would have changed the init outcome. Personally I liked the +2 better with a pure bees build, but I can see how it might be too strong when he's actually taking OM1 turns in a non-bees build.

Grabbermund : Scary figure. That 19 that swallowed a 5-life Eltahale was crushing and would have lost me the game if Byrikon hadn't been so insanely good after it. I'm not a huge fan of figures with that much built-in variance (a certain NGS mind shackle from ScapeCon comes to mind), but he was definitely a force I had to work around the whole game. I kept most of my bee hive away from his threat range almost the whole game, which forced him to take some moves without any attacks but also let him flank around to get Eltahale. Clamber might be his most useful power though on the whole, as I was unable to really kite with Byrikon in the end-game because elevation didn't stop Grabber from catching me right away. Generally a ranged figure can kite a 2-hex non-flying figure well via terrain denial, but not Grabber.
Old October 2nd, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I think Kalagrith needs to be able to take LEAs without punishment. This would improve the dragon quite a bit. If C3V wants a C dragon leave powers as is. If C3V wants a B+ dragon give it stealth flying.
I agree that Kalagrith needs some help with mobility.

Stealth flying is one option, but allowing you to pick which hexes you fly over get hit by the dragon breath (so you don't burn your own screen) would be another possible change that would solve some of the same issues.

That may not be the thematic design you're going for, but I wanted to suggest it as a possible alternative to stealth flying.
Old October 2nd, 2021, 01:32 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Janos had an extremely dominant win today in my game with AgentWard. I won with only three wounds on Maekor and one wound on Bambina, no other casualties. It was a repeat matchup of my two armies, who also faced last round:

AgentWard: Zombies x4, Zombie Hulk x2, Ataraxis, Marcu, Isamu
vegietarian18: Greenscales x2, Janos, Bambina, Maekor, Rygarn

I went R1OM1 Greenscales to develop them up before I had any targets in range. Then, with the help of Rygarn, I fired off four consecutive Janos Expeditions R1OM2 R1OM3 R2OM1 R2OM2. The sheer offensive output of that completely melted through the twelve Zombies and their Hulks. Maekor's Plasma Blade landed two bonus kills on Zombies, Bambina was doing great with her ranged attack and occasionally Grav Hammer, and of course Janos was tearing things up with consistent Tracking Fire shots. I was on fire for skulls but it was a ridiculous showing. On the other side, the Zombies weren't able to do much at all, since I got into Onslaught denial locations, and the Ataraxis aura was completely offset by Company Defensive Formation. I barely used the Greenscales, one of them eventually got to Holdir but that was just for killing Marcu faster. A couple others took the long way over to knock a Zombie off Dagmar. After the initial quadruple Expedition it was really just cleanup, and I ended things in Round 4 or 5.

One thing I will say is I love playing this Hybrid Merc army. But I think it's too good.

Janos: Before I was hesitant because the army is so fun, but after this game I think I can confidently say he needs to be toned down. The offensive output he gives is just ridiculous. I know there's been some talk of a price increase, but I'd rather see a nerf to Tracking Fire. I think he should be relatively cheap so the Mercs can be playable below 600. So, I think reduce Tracking Fire to base attack 2, second attack 3 if on same figure. Probably remove the Rygarn synergy as well.

Bambina: The best showing I've seen from her. Grav Hammer was nice to throw Ataraxis into a hole when it was time, but just a good game for her normal ranged attack of 2. She very often got height and killed Zombies. This build more than others asks for a conservative Bambina since she also boosts the Greenscale attack. She's the crux of this army and makes it work, but I think this build is pretty cool, and she's not that OP. Maybe lower defense to 4 if you want to weaken her, but I would leave her as is.

Maekor: Great game for him too. He got the Heroic Rune Treasure Glyph which made his Plasma Blade lethal. Company Defensive formation was important as always. I would like to see Plasma Blade nerfed into the traditional Cleave, to make it easier to play around. There is not much you can do against a ranged Cleave. Did not use Lizardfolk War Cry but it's amazing as a way to make Janos not an Ulginesh figure. If Janos dies I still have bonding between my heroes.

Ataraxis: Not a whole lot she could do when her forces lost by so much. AW used Necrotizing Wormhole to move her up faster than I did when I played the army, which is cool but it sends a Zombie back into your startzone, costs you Zombie development. Her aura has felt a little small to me actually, but she's been going against a powerhouse build. Estivara has a 6 range aura, I think that could be appropriate here. The LEA lockdown was irrelevant. I tried to make this army a good place for her to repeatedly come back, with multiple Zombie Hulks and Marcu and Isamu. But Zombie Hulks just are not good, and you can easily ignore Ataraxis until the Hulks are dead.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting