Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old April 30th, 2020, 10:40 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Diplomacy

I'll see what I can do for an EOG, may as well start it now.

Pre-Game
AKA the section where I explain why I picked Turkey.

It's not much of an explanation, though. I wasn't sure how much time I'd have to actually play, so I wanted to make sure I didn't get one of the powers in the middle. I didn't think I'd have the time to manage negotiations as intensely as playing Austria, Italy, or Russia would require, and I didn't want to re-play France or England. Of course, playing particularly well would require wide-reaching diplomacy work regardless, but on the way to get there from a starting position of playing badly I decided I could at least settle for playing okay.

Kinseth also posted some pretty helpful early game guides for each power, so I studied up on Turkey and other nearby powers for a bit before the game started.

So here I am in the corner I've chosen, first order of business is to decide whether I should ally with Russia or Austria. I was pretty set on that ally being Austria from a fairly early point. I prefer to side with the underdog, and I didn't like the idea of siding with Russia and having to constantly tiptoe around their southern fleet and the possibility of them selling me out to Italy. This somewhat preemptive choice may have worked against me, but hindsight's 20/20 I suppose.

My initial impressions of everyone:

Austria: We seemed to hit it off early and made some pretty detailed plans. They agreed to working against Russia with me, and also hinted at having had fairly extensive conversation with Italy.

Russia: Was also willing to commit to fairly detailed plans, to the point that I felt kind of bad about the knife I was holding. Still, if Austria had been a bit more reticent I probably would have changed my gameplan to working with Russia.

Italy: Fairly uncommunicative, beyond suggesting briefly that we should team up against Austria together. I became convinced quite early that they were out to remove me as well.

Germany: Seemed like a solid player, and seemed less and less in a position to cause problems for me as the year went on. I would have very much preferred to keep them in the game if possible, but my ability to manipulate England or France was fairly limited.

England: Obviously wasn't having any of my nonsense, and shut down my attempts to nudge them into aggression against Russia or France fairly emphatically. Clearly I wasn't going to make much progress here.

France: Agreed to an alliance of information early on, which I believe was more or less honored for the first few years. Neither of us had anything that useful to give to the other though, other than France letting me know that me choosing my power has got people a little nervous.

One part of 1901 went off without a hitch, as I was able to allay Russia's fears about my Spring move to ARM and get my fleet into BLA in the Fall. Unfortunately, Austria lost TRI to Italy, which was a major hit to our momentum.

I'll do more of this later, hopefully these will get shorter further in the game heh.
Old May 5th, 2020, 04:11 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

I always like to ask, @Dad_Scaper , did you have any questions or thoughts on the game as a whole you'd be willing to share?

Did you real ALL the press, I know in our previous 3 games you have read and sometimes you did not.
Old May 5th, 2020, 05:33 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
I always like to ask, @Dad_Scaper , did you have any questions or thoughts on the game as a whole you'd be willing to share?

Did you real ALL the press, I know in our previous 3 games you have read and sometimes you did not.
I spot read it, to get a sense of how different players are approaching the game, and where I should be looking for fireworks.

Like I said, this was a fun one to watch, because I think everyone (in his own way) was playing to win.

I thought @Knight of Scape , as Austria wrote some very fine, instructive press to EF near the end of the game. I'll comment on that.

KoS explained to EF in group press that he would throw to France, if EF tried to squeeze him out of a draw. It was a strong pitch on three levels, and I'll write about each.

First, he sent it as a group text. That way, both England and France see the threat, and England (who this was essentially directed at) is on notice that France knows what he has to gain by a move against Austria. It's quite clear, following this threat, that Austria is not telling each that he'll throw to the other, because he's said precisely what he's going to do. Making it clear that he's serious.

Second, he picked the right guy. We've since learned that KD didn't think that he, as France, had the tactics available for the solo, but I think, based on how they'd played, he was right that KD was the more likely of the two to seek and to execute a stab for the solo.

Third, I loved how he framed his plea: Sure, France has deceived me a few times, but France has also been a partner in a communication - playing the game - in a way that you were not. My sense was that this came from a place of real sincerity, which is (IMHO) the best way to play.

It's good to be sincere. For most players, actual lies are quite rare. A player isn't constantly choosing between telling the truth and telling a lie. What an experienced player is normally doing is just figuring out which spin the truth should get.

I am really amazed that this was KoS's first game of Diplomacy. Normally, when Austria suffers getting dotted early by Italy, it's a quick doom for both, and not only did he survive, but he made a fine showing of almost squeaking in as the third part of a 3-way draw. With a different set of players - let's say, an EF who don't quite trust each other enough to walk all the way up to the 2WD line - he would have had it.

Like I said, everyone played well. But you asked, KD, what stuck out to me, and it was that AEF press near the end.

Good game, all.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 15th, 2020, 02:52 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Is it too early to talk about next game?

Those who I believe are in

1) kevindola
2) @Kinseth
3) @Ranior
4) @scorpiusx
5) @quozl

That leaves 2 slots if accurate
@MegaSilver @Zetsubo @Knight of Scape @wriggz @Nukatha @All Your Pie
Old May 15th, 2020, 03:55 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nope, I'm still bitter. Heck, I'm going to sit out the next CoN round because life got busy. Still don't have a real job though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old May 29th, 2020, 07:27 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

2 week bump (if your interest is zero for the foreseeable future let me know, I'll stop pinging you)

Is it too early to talk about next game?

1) kevindola
2) @Kinseth
3) @Ranior
4) @scorpiusx
5) @quozl

@MegaSilver @Zetsubo @Knight of Scape @wriggz @All Your Pie
Old May 30th, 2020, 08:23 PM

Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby!

Sorry but I'm gonna have to pass on the next game
Old July 17th, 2020, 10:00 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

2 month bump (if your interest is zero for the foreseeable future let me know, I'll stop pinging you)

Anyone lurking interested in playing or learning the game please give out a shout

1) kevindola
2) @Kinseth
3) @Ranior
4) @scorpiusx
5) @quozl

@MegaSilver @Knight of Scape @wriggz @All Your Pie
Old July 17th, 2020, 11:46 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'm happy to run it again, but I am barely around for the next couple of weeks. Tag me if we get numbers and I'll set it up.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 17th, 2020, 08:14 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
2 month bump (if your interest is zero for the foreseeable future let me know, I'll stop pinging you)

Anyone lurking interested in playing or learning the game please give out a shout

1) kevindola
2) @Kinseth
3) @Ranior
4) @scorpiusx
5) @quozl

@MegaSilver @Knight of Scape @wriggz @All Your Pie
I'm on the fence about it but I appreciate the reminder.
Old September 6th, 2020, 05:09 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Were we ever getting around to another game of this or is everyone still too terrified of @kevindola and me to jump in again?

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old September 25th, 2020, 03:16 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

Right, we can try to get some momentum goin on this again. Based on previous responses we were missing 2 slots, although those original responses are pretty old so probably good to get interest confirmed again. Who would be down for a game
@Kinseth @Ranior @quozl @MegaSilver @Knight of Scape @wriggz @All Your Pie @vegietarian18 @Zetsubo

Anyone else lurking?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games