Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Notices

Old March 21st, 2013, 12:03 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
The Book of Cathar Spearmen

The Book of Cathar Spearmen

Vydar's Betrayal - C3 - Pikes and Fey

The figures used for this unit are Confrontation figures from the Griffins set. They are available in the Griffin Spearmen Unit Box (8 figures) and the Confrontation Starter Set (8 figures). The name of the figure is Spearman.

REACH
If an opponent’s figure is within 2 spaces of a Cathar Spearman, and its base is no more than 3 levels above that Cathar Spearman’s height or 3 levels below that Cathar Spearman’s base, that Cathar Spearman may add 1 to his Range when attacking that figure.

BRACED SPEAR 16
If an opponent’s figure moves adjacent to a previously unengaged Cathar Spearman, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, the opponent’s figure receives one wound.

IMPALE
When attacking a non-adjacent figure, a Cathar Spearman receives an additional attack die.

Character Bio - (Insert character Bio)

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • Q: If a Cathar Spearman attacks a figure 2 spaces away using its REACH Special Ability, does the Reach-ed figure receive the Defense Bonus from Jungle Trees and Brush?
    A: Yes. REACH gives a Cathar Spearman a normal ranged attack with vertical limitations. A Reach-ed figure defends against a normal ranged attack, including any bonuses to its defense which it would normally get under those circumstances. This also means that melee attack-bonuses (such as those offered by Finn the Viking Champion and Sir Gilbert) cannot modify an Attack made using REACH.
  • Q: If a figure is thrown/pushed/knocked back into an unengaged Cathar Spearman, do you still have to roll for Braced Spear?
A: Yes, moving and placing are the same, and the figure was placed next to or moved next to the Spearman.

Q: If a Cathar Spearman is engaged with one figure, and that figure is replaced with a different figure, can that Spearman roll for Braced Spear 16 on the figure that replaces the previous one? (Examples of how this could happen include: 1) a Horned Skull Brute uses Barge into Battle to switch places with a figure engaged with the Spearman, 2) Arashara Goshiri uses Shifting Sands to switch a figure engaged with the Spearman with a different figure, or 3) Tor-Kul-Na Trample Stomps a nagrub which is engaged with the Spearman. Other situations also exist.)
A: No. The Spearman is considered continuously engaged, so the Spearman does not meet the "previously unengaged" requirement to use Braced Spear 16.
-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Leadership
    As Soldiers, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER LEADERSHIP movement bonus.
  • MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Attack Enhancement
    As Soldiers, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT.
  • COUNT RAYMOND: Devout Leadership
    As figures with the Devout personality, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Count Raymond's DEVOUT LEADERSHIP movement bonus.
  • COUNT RAYMOND: Maneuver 9
    As humans who follow Einar, Cathar Spearmen may benefit from Count Raymond's MANEUVER 9 power to ignore leaving engagement attacks.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • N/A
-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-
  • N/A
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Ranking
Tough on melee, particularly non-bonding melee, but their numbers, toughness, and reach make them effective in a wide range of situations. A

Last edited by superfrog; January 18th, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:25 PM
No good deed goes unpunished

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Book of Cathar Spearmen

You probably want to add the clarification about Knockbacks, Throws, Shield Pushes, etc.

Tournament Armies Played - C3VRP - Customs - Trades

I'm Krug in the Paradox Keep and Augamo on the Sacred Tundra.
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:41 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

x2 Cathar Spearmen 150
x2 Redcoats 300
Marcus 400
AE 510

Sound like fun, anybody?
Old March 21st, 2013, 12:44 PM

greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness greygnarl wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nope. I'd go Cathar x4 or 10th x4. Mixing just doesn't work.

Old March 21st, 2013, 12:56 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Well, I was thinking of just throwing the Cathar out as a screen, seeing as they could hold the line pretty well, especially against opposing melee. Position the redcoats directly behind the spearmen and drop enemies as they approach.

It's a very defensive tactic, I know, and it would probably be best used in a defensive scenario.
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:20 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by greygnarl View Post
Really? I think that would be a rather good build. It reminds me of the following build of which I've done quite well with:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

Total: 460

I've played about a dozen games with that army and I've only lost once.
Old March 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Will Paint For naGrub...

orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla orgsbane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvenwizard9 View Post
x2 Cathar Spearmen 150
x2 Redcoats 300
Marcus 400
AE 510

Sound like fun, anybody?
I definitely like that one! Plus, if your lucky, you can drop them in, wreak havoc, and have plenty of time set up your defensive line. Pretty sweet.
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Sweeney View Post
Quote:
Really? I think that would be a rather good build. It reminds me of the following build of which I've done quite well with:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The Cathar can't bond with Marcus though so you have to waste time positioning him and them instead of just both at the same time.

Old March 21st, 2013, 02:22 PM
...continue to abuse you with my mod powers (until Jim bans me).

Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun Joseph Sweeney is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The Cathar can't bond with Marcus though so you have to waste time positioning him and them instead of just both at the same time.
Hmmm, yeah, your right. I forgot about the bonding factor.
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The argument I see against using a tough melee screen with redcoats is that the redcoats can function as their own melee force, quite effectively. Thus, trying to protect an able-bodied force means you waste points on unnecessary figures and don't get enough Brits.

I would try Cathars with anti-range units. Allowing the spearmen to go toe-to-toe with melee is likely key to their success against tough armies.

Cathar Spearmen x3- 225
Krav Maga Agents- 100
Marcus Decimus Gallus- 100
Marcu Esenwein- 20
Marro Warriors- 50
500 points, 21 hexes

Send the Krav after the ranged units, then move the Cathar in to deal with the melee squads.
Old March 21st, 2013, 02:50 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

The argument I see against using a tough melee screen with redcoats is that the redcoats can function as their own melee force, quite effectively. Thus, trying to protect an able-bodied force means you waste points on unnecessary figures and don't get enough Brits.

I would try Cathars with anti-range units. Allowing the spearmen to go toe-to-toe with melee is likely key to their success against tough armies.

Cathar Spearmen x3- 225
Krav Maga Agents- 100
Marcu Esenwein- 20
Marro Warriors- 50
500 points, 21 hexes

Send the Krav after the ranged units, then move the Cathar in to deal with the melee squads.
The thing is both these armies are order marker nightmares. You've got plenty of places to put markers on both armies thus they have to be spread out. An army with fewer cards would completely wipe the floor on these.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old March 21st, 2013, 03:21 PM
Middle Earth's Saddest Plumber

Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death! Son of Arathorn is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscaper Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Arathorn View Post
Quote:
Quote:

AE 110
Marcus 100
x2 Redcoats 150
x2 Romans 100

Cathar Spearmen x3- 225
Krav Maga Agents- 100
Marcu Esenwein- 20
Marro Warriors- 50
500 points, 21 hexes

The thing is both these armies are order marker nightmares. You've got plenty of places to put markers on both armies thus they have to be spread out. An army with fewer cards would completely wipe the floor on these.
Not necessarily. You'd really only be using 2 of those units at a time. Marcus is a passive unit for his leadership ability, so he only needs OMs once in a while, Marcu is either saved for the end or goes after a glyph, and the Marro Warriors are a cleanup force, meaning you keep 'em back until the end of the game.

Really, order markers in my army just get shared between the Cathars and Agents.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs