Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old June 27th, 2011, 01:42 PM

Su-Bak-Na Jr. is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
The Hive- Used or not?

Well, my first post. Sorry I had to start a thread with it...

Does anyone actually use the Hive? The only time I ever find myself using it is is massive two player games with hundreds of figures on both sides. Is there a way to justify taking up 160 points out of your army to use the Hive? What are the best strategies? Any help appreciated.

Please excuse this user's apparent ignorance - he started playing HeroScape several years later than you!
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Hive- Used or not?

Yes, pair it up with many of the cheap Marro units. Best choices are probably Stingers or Drones. Stingers have range to help with the hives range limitation and Drones need the extra survivability that the Hive offers them.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Everything gets used in my house, every now & then. Including the Hive.*

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; June 27th, 2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: * not including most of the Marvel guys. Sorry, Doctor Doom.

Su-Bak-Na Jr. is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Yes, pair it up with many of the cheap Marro units. Best choices are probably Stingers or Drones. Stingers have range to help with the hives range limitation and Drones need the extra survivability that the Hive offers them.
I dont think an army of just the Hive and Stingers/Drones would have a chance... Especially Drones. But then again, read my sig.

Please excuse this user's apparent ignorance - he started playing HeroScape several years later than you!
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

You can easily justify taking the hive by taking as many of your Marro commons as you can at once. In a 500 point game, you can fit:

Hive 160
Stingersx4 400
Drudgex2 500

There you get 18 marro figures and the other 6 spaces are taken by your hive. And because 500 points is a typical rule of thumb as a point guide, this army should do well. Keep the Stingers and Drudges in your Hive's range, and your picking up a maximum of 18 attacks per OM. That is huge.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I've posted this elsewhere, but I'll repeat myself rather than try and find it.

As others have said, to get the most out of the Hive you want Marro commons that it can activate and rebirth. In particular, you want (at least) two units with different flavours to maximise the activation flexibility. Range and melee are the natural split. Stingers are one of the strongest units in the game, so they get the ranged slot. My pick for melee slot is Dividers. They are stronger than drones. You cannot rebirth them, but that's OK: make sure you lead with a Kamikaze stinger or two and you'll have plenty of Stingers to use with rebirth. So that gives an army that looks like:

Hive: 160
Stingers x2-4: 120-240
Dividers x2-4: 100-200
Total: 480-500pts, 24 hexes.

This is near the top of my list to take to a tournament next time there's a format that suits it.

Flameslayer93: 18 attacks per OM?
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dividers' Card
The Marro Hive cannot rebirth Marro Dividers with its Marro Rebirth special power.
Cheater.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; June 27th, 2011 at 02:06 PM. Reason: *ack* I didn't read the whole post. I'm so embarrassed.
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dividers' Card
The Marro Hive cannot rebirth Marro Dividers with its Marro Rebirth special power.
Cheater.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
...You cannot rebirth them, but that's OK: make sure you lead with a Kamikaze stinger or two and you'll have plenty of Stingers to use with rebirth...
I know reading is a tricky skill. Keep trying, one day you'll master it.
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:11 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

I've found that, in general, Stingers are the only unit that's really worth drafting the hive with. Stingers have a much larger threat range (12 clear sight + 5 range) as opposed to the drones that have just have a threat range of 12. The units you'd really *like* to rebirth are the units you're prohibited from bringing back (e.g., Marrden Hounds, Grok Riders).

In a close-quarters map the drones might do okay because when you hit the D20 you can really swarm. If it's a big map your supply lines are so long that your sad little rebirthed drones are strung out like a little line of ants to the Ant Bait

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades

Last edited by LilMoochie; June 27th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

= =
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:23 PM

i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness i_r_beej wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is good. We're just now getting additional Marro squads that we haven't had before (drones) that would make the hive really interesting to play.

We'll have to give it a try sooner rather than later.

My sale/trade/wants/haves.

Also spend my free time drawing robots:
Instagram @robotoftheday
Old June 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Keep the Stingers and Drudges in your Hive's range, and your picking up a maximum of 18 attacks per OM. That is huge.
18 attacks per order marker?.....I think you are doing it wrong.

Or....I am too much of a simpleton and misundestood your point.

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Last edited by R˙chean; June 27th, 2011 at 02:42 PM. Reason: however, I bet it is the former

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles