Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla
Architects of the Realms of Valhalla Discussion and presentation of the maps approved by the ARV.

Old April 9th, 2020, 05:39 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: NEW CONTEST - The Spartan Scrolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Aaaaaaand we're closed! What a turnout at the end there! Thanks everyone for participating. It was a slow start there, but we ended up finishing with 19 submissions!!! That may be one of our largest contests yet! Thanks to all who jumped on this contest...cause it will well be worth it for the winner.

Next Steps:
  • Judges will score each map individually.
  • Top 10 scored maps will be posted in a public poll by Saturday and it will last for 1 week for the community to vote on the best map!
  • Contest winner will be sent a custom set of ARV Dice
  • The Top 10 maps will be "accepted" for review by the ARV judges who will playtest them for balance and tournament worthiness. Maps that pass will be inducted into the ARV Archive
  • Maps that do not get selected in the top 10 or don't make it past the playtesting phase are encouraged to be workshopped in the ARV Workshop thread if the designer would like feedback and assistance in getting the map tournament ready.

All designers please PM me your .hsc Virtualscape build files so I can generate an HD image for each map for the final Top 10 selection if you are selected. @WarBeast @heroscaper2010 @Leaf_It @All Your Pie @Yodaking @superfrog @Owlman @NecroBlade @wumpis @Ulysses @Cleon @Herofly @Longy418

thanks to all! stay tuned!!
Yeah that was awesome to see a bunch of maps come in at the end. This was a lot of fun and got me back on virtualscape regularly. Stoked to see the reviews!

PM sent with the downloads.
Old April 9th, 2020, 09:49 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
That was awesome to see all those maps fly in at the end! Thanks so much everyone for the effort you put into designing them!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Last edited by IAmBatman; April 10th, 2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old April 11th, 2020, 01:02 AM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Oooft, I do not envy the judges! There are so many fun maps here!
Old April 12th, 2020, 03:40 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Top 10 are posted... go and VOTE!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old April 20th, 2020, 10:59 PM

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Triple-Play Frenzy Results

We recognize that these results from our previous contest have been a long time coming, and appreciate your patient anticipation. Two of the maps submitted have been added to our ARV Repository Thread - a thread dedicated to maps that typically won't be used in tournaments, but that we have playtested and found to be balanced. That thread can be found here.

Once again, we want to thank all those who participated in this contest: @Leaf_It , @Br1an , @Ulysses , @JaesShurrig , and @Yodaking

Accepted Maps

The Cirdan Garden by Leaf_It
Requires 1x RotV, 2x TJ, 2x RttFF

Reviews:
Spoiler Alert!

The Cursed Stone Table by Br1an
Requires 1x RotV, 2x FoA, 2x RttFF

Reviews:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps That Were Not Accepted

We appreciate the effort that was put into creating these maps, but we didn't find that they were balanced enough to be accepted into the repository. Please feel free to utilize our workshop thread located here. We would love to help you improve your map and then reconsider it for addition to the repository once it is more polished!

Spoiler Alert!

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Last edited by Flash_19; April 21st, 2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old April 21st, 2020, 04:26 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm so glad these are up! Awesome work judges! I've used Cirdan Garden a couple times to show new players the game and it's played really well. I haven't had a chance to play Cursed Stone Table, but I have built the map. Br1an's build files are gorgeous with the attention to detail and classic rulebook scenario formatting.

I certainly agree with the reviews of my submissions and it's a little embarrassing looking back on them I had played Ringstrasse a handful of times when I was building it, but haven't come back to it after the competition due to the issues the judges have illustrated, though now with some more builds and many more games under my belt I may pull it up and tinker with it. Looking at it now, some things are so obviously broken that they look easy to fix.

Thanks for all the hard work everyone put into designing and testing these maps!
Old April 21st, 2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
I certainly agree with the reviews of my submissions and it's a little embarrassing looking back on them I had played Ringstrasse a handful of times when I was building it, but haven't come back to it after the competition due to the issues the judges have illustrated, though now with some more builds and many more games under my belt I may pull it up and tinker with it. Looking at it now, some things are so obviously broken that they look easy to fix.
Lol - I know exactly what you're talking about. Some of my old maps are shall we say... decent at best. So way to get better at map designing!

Please do! I don't think it would take too much to open things up a little more. When you're ready, just head on over to the workshop thread to get more feedback, and officially resubmit it when you're ready. And it usually helps if you tag us too.

Good luck!

Old April 21st, 2020, 06:19 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Ringstrasse is good, it just needs a 1 - 2 hex break in the middle of the wall and it would be much better.
Old September 14th, 2020, 01:46 PM
The Road Not Taken

Br1an rolls all skulls baby! Br1an rolls all skulls baby! Br1an rolls all skulls baby! Br1an rolls all skulls baby!

Sorry I haven't been on here in so long, so I didn't see this until just now, but I am incredibly humbled that my first submission to a contest was accepted into the ARV. Thank you all for the kind words and I'm glad that you enjoyed the map!
Old August 26th, 2021, 08:27 PM

Thank you to all the judges who put so much time and effort playtesting and reviewing the submissions! I’ve had a lot of fun playing many of these maps and congrats to @Cleon for his induction with Parallel. I am very excited to see what the ARV cooks up next for all the cartographers out there.
Old September 12th, 2021, 11:43 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
NEW CONTEST - Marvel Scrolls

NEW CONTEST:

All right everyone, COVID threw things into whack, but we're back!! This time, with a fun twist. We’re calling on all map builders to come up with competitive, tournament worthy maps and to submit them here for scoring. In the end, 10 maps will be chosen as the best and of the 10, #1 will be given a very high quality prize. And believe me, you don't wanna miss out on this! We've designed and prepared custom ARV DICE for the winner! Here are the 2 options the winner will be able to choose from. The set will be a full set of 12, 6-sided dice.

Option #1:

Option #2:

Why are we doing this?
It's time to have another contest and keep the excitement going with new and fun maps. Specifically we want this contest to challenge map makers to be lean and deliberate with every terrain piece. Requiring one of your expansions to be a Marvel set can be quite difficult at times when trying to make a balanced map for tournament play, and we don't see the Marvel set used too often. Now, we will!

Submissions Accepted Starting...
October 4th, 2021
Submissions will be due...
November 1st, 2021 @11:59pm MST

Guidelines
  1. This map contest will have a few changes from our normal guidelines in the OP:
    • Map submissions MUST use the Marvel set (either as an expansion, master set or the extra one). Your submission can contain 1 EXTRA Marvel set.
      ex. BftU (MS), RttFF (Exp), Marvel (Exp), Marvel (Extra)
    • Submissions can be previous maps you've built
    • Maps MUST have a backstory as you submit the map. Help us envision being there, and the story behind it. It can be as simple as a couple sentences or much longer, but we want to see more than just the map itself.
    • Remember to keep map design focused on the theme. This theme is fairly vague because we'd like to see some unique creativity with this one.

Scoring

ALL maps submitted will be revised and scored according to the following Rubric:
  • Aesthetics/Creativity(originality of build/looks good): 10pts
  • Balanced (doesn't favor one build over another): 20pts
    Maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. range, flying, etc.)
  • Fits Theme & Good name: 10pts

Total: 40pts

*The sitting judges scoring the maps:
@Sir Heroscape
@heroscaper2010
@Nomad
@Flash_19
@Robber
@TREX (Emeritus)
@Tiranx (Emeritus)
@BiggaBullfrog (Emeritus)

*Each map will have a rubric filled out, one from each judge. All the scores will then be averaged for one final score for that map.

*At the end of the deadline, the top 10 maps will be chosen and posted. A PUBLIC POLL will then be opened for the community to vote on the best map out of the top 10. The map winner will be posted after a week long poll and the prize awarded.

Map Building Tips for Competitive Design (from the judges)
1. avoid putting Power Glyphs on height (exceptions may be made depending on the build)
2. Double-spaced figures must be able to access all glyphs
3. Glyphs should not be able to be reached turn 1 by 5 or 6 move figures
4. avoid too much elevation close to the start zone (exceptions may be made depending on the build)

Map Building Checklist: For Competitive Balance
Take into consideration:
  1. Does Raelin break this map?
    Look for spots she can fly to on turn 1. Can she get onto a single-hex height position? Can she get next to a jungle bush? Can she protect a glyph holder, or two glyph holders for that matter? Can she remain on height on an easily defendable position? These are types of things you want to look for
  2. Does a Dragon build break this map?
    Can a Dragon fly and turn 1 attack the opponents startzone? Not always unbalanced, but can be if the position is easily defendable or on height. You also have to consider how dragons fly and shoot. Could a dragon fly from perch to perch and remain unengaged while shooting an opponent?
  3. Do rats break this map?
    Look for choke points. Are there any areas where 1 or 2 rats could block an oncoming army and virtually lock the board down without much of a contest? Are the glyphs too easily obtained/defended by rats?
  4. Is it impossible to place the hive in the start zone?
  5. Is it too easy for pods to set up?
    There are many competitive builds that are played by finding a position and simply holding it while the opponent advances to attack. Consider finding areas where an army could easily set up their pod without being contested by an opponent, or where a position is too easily defendable from height.
  6. Is it too easy to defend/control glyphs?
    Generally speaking, you'll want at least 2-3 positions where an opponent can attack a glyph holder and even better if from height. Glyphs should be in a spot relatively equidistant from each startzone and in a fairly weak position. Glyph holders should be at a disadvantage.
  7. Is there elevation in the start zone?
  8. Can move 5 or 6 figures reach glyphs on turn 1?
  9. Are there too many choke points?
    Basically what was stated on the rats question. Look for too many narrow areas where map flow could get clogged down and hinder an army's ability to move and develop.
  10. Are you unable to develop armies quickly?
    This is harder to describe...but basically maps should allow your army to reach midmap at least by turn 3. Maps that hinder movement so much that fighting doesn't happen till Round 2 will make games slow and arduous. Develop maps that figures can move through without too much restriction. Too many elevation changes can cause problems with development.

If you can answer yes to 2 or more of these questions, you’ll likely want to revise your map. For more details on the above list, refer to Biggabullfrog's recent article on 10 Tips for Map Building
Prizes
ARV custom dice set (pick 1 option)!
Spoiler Alert!

Known Mapmakers
@TheSparkleInYourWater @Cleon @Skylord163 @TheEpicAlpaca @capsocrates @Tornado @Dad_Scaper @Colorcrayons @Dignan @All Your Pie @Annerios @arp12 @Bengi @BiggaBullfrog @Blodshogams @Browncoat @Buddy Lee @Cavalier @cavie @dok @Eclipse @Elstree @nyys @Fedex worker @Filthy the Clown @GaryLASQ @GeneralRolando @Hahma @Nadi @Hex_Enduction_Hour @hivelord @j-Bird @Jexik @killercactus @Killometer @kolakoski @kriegskeks @Lamaclown @legoboy @lonewolf @mad_wookiee @master4sword @MegaSilver @Mooseman @NecroBlade @Obsidian @ollie @pauldragon @peteparkerh @quozl @rednax @Retlaw @robbdaman @Robber @R˙chean @rym @Ryougabot @'Scaper94 @Shades fan @Sherman Davies @skyknight @Scapemage @srmalloy @stubobj @SuperflyTNT @Swamper @Taelord @tannergx @The CEE @tom @twilkerson @Typhon2222 @Viegon @Warlord Alpha @Wind Lane @Yodaking @zanter
@A3n @vvildeyedjoker @heroscaper2010 @Herofly @Dr.Goomonkey @Leaf_It @rednax @TheTravelingScaper @GaryLASQ @Flash_19 @antmarchingroves @majofa @Ulysses

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22

Last edited by Sir Heroscape; October 4th, 2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old September 13th, 2021, 02:51 PM

Re: NEW CONTEST - Marvel Scrolls

I am very excited for a new ARV contest! I do have one small, not at all selfish, proposal. Would the judges allow 2 Marvel sets in lieu of of a master set? Hear me out, 2 Marvel sets combined still comprise of fewer terrain pieces than a single RotV and are nearly neck and neck with SotM. Also, if the goal is to dust off the old Marvel sets and get them on the tourney table, this doubles the fun (and the dusting, yay!). Okay, yes it is for selfish reasons . One map I'd like to submit is 2 Marvel, 1 BftU, and 1 TJ, so not too egregious, but I understand that the rules are there for a reason. I figured it never hurts to ask. Thank you judges!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Architects of the Realms of Valhalla