Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

View Poll Results: Which entrées should to make it to our final round? (Pick 3)
Nuckelavee 8 28.57%
Pleocyemata 21 75.00%
Tezig 12 42.86%
Toraideshu 0 0%
Trog & Gort 2 7.14%
Ulag 7 25.00%
Yur Maigan Na 6 21.43%
Zolgues 11 39.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 24th, 2019, 01:18 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
CHOPS Poll (Part Two) - QC3 Autumn Contest - Vote by 11/1

And look at that, you made it to the second poll! I'm sure you're taste buds could go for something to cleanse your palette after all of that nonsense, unfortunately all we have here are more entrées, if you'd wanted a water with a cucumber in it you have come to the wrong place. Didn't I tell you it was BYOW (Bring Your Own Wellspring)?

That has gone on long enough, and it's time for you to vote in the second part of the Chops Entrée Poll! You already voted in the other poll, right? Oh... Well... I guess you can vote here first, but be sure to head straight over to the first part of the poll after you vote here! Here's a link to it, just for you!

Also remember to vote if you entered, and vote in both polls. Just don't vote for your own entry. That would be silly.

Nuckelavee

Pleocyemata

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Tezig

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Toraideshu

Trog & Gort

Ulag

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Yur Maigan Na

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Notes:
Spoiler Alert!

Zolgues

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old October 26th, 2019, 06:43 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: CHOPS Poll (Part Two) - QC3 Autumn Contest - Vote by 11/

I'm noticing that this thread's been neglected when it comes to comments - particularly that @flameslayer commented on the other one but not this. Are people just not noticing it?

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old October 26th, 2019, 06:55 PM
Setting the Table for Super

Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ericth74 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Looks like 20 people voted here and 21 at the 1st poll. So pretty even. No sure why there aren’t any comments though.
Old October 26th, 2019, 10:57 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

As I mentioned in the other poll thread, that one is the more competitive one IMO. Several pretty good and interesting designs that I wouldn't be surprised to see emerge as the winner of the poll. I feel like this poll had a more defined top tier, and the results seem to back that up. A less competitive leads to less discussion.
Old October 27th, 2019, 12:19 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
I'm noticing that this thread's been neglected when it comes to comments - particularly that @flameslayer commented on the other one but not this. Are people just not noticing it?
I havent had the time to review this one yet.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; October 27th, 2019 at 12:20 AM. Reason: Even a quick rundown for 8 figures takes a solid hour lol
Old October 27th, 2019, 01:58 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Tough decision. I’ve looked at them and will vote, but I can’t make up my mind right away. Thanks for sharing these quality designs, all!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 27th, 2019, 02:15 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I’ll start with this one to even things out.

Nuckelavee
I actually like this unit a fair bit. A good mix of offensive tools using recycled or familiar powers. Poison Breath could theoretically take a while to properly resolve if you happen to wound three heroes with it, but that realistically isn’t going to happen any time soon and as is, the 3 attack on it makes it nicely restrained. Of the various “solid but not particularly flashy” units in this set, this one is my favorite.

Pleocyemata
The clear leader, for good reason. A thematic set of powers that paint a very vivid thematic picture, one I can find basically no issue with. My only critique is that Drag into the Deep is a little wonky—should our crab friend here be taking LEAs from the figure it drags? If its already on a water space, does it need to move to get the defense reduction? These aren’t design-breaking questions, though, and they don’t overshadow the simple appeal of a cool crab monster.

Tezig
Rock Throw is a fitting power here. I don’t really get Heart of the Earth though, nor do the Class and Personality really resonate. Not really a standout for me.

Toraideshu
Thematically the design I find most confusing of the set. Is Trident Fire a throwing weapon? A spell? That and 5R 5A give this figure absurdly strong offensive output as well, and for a cheaper cost than Nilfheim. Next to all that, Tot Toss reads like flavor text to me, and I find it a little hard to parse. I think I understand what it’s going for, but the intended mental image doesn’t translate well into mechanics.

Trog and Gort
Fury of the Trees is certainly interesting, and I could go either way on if it’s a fun harmless power or too goofy for me. Little else on the card really comes together for me, though. A wizard with counter strike? A large ettin with 4 life? I don’t follow the thematic thread here.

Ulag
This guy comes just behind Nuckelavee in the “simple but functional” category. The figure’s a bit of an oddball, but I like the placement in Einar and the theme of Hold Still and Finishing Blow. Ultimately, though, I don’t think the design has enough punch to be sitting around the 120 point bracket. Setting up an impactful turn with this unit would be quite tough in practice, so I would want him hitting up in value in order for it to feel worthwhile.

Yur Maigan Na
This design doesn’t do much for me. While the “uneven numbers matter” mechanic unifies all of the design’s trigger conditions, it does nothing to pull together the actual gameplay interactions that they cause. Eldritch Appendages isn’t nearly as complicated as it looks and is actually the power I like more—once you realize that it’s a simple check on all of the given conditions and whether they affect the attacked figure, it wouldn’t be too hard to keep in mind. Ferdraaid Eye, though, doesn’t seem to offer any tactical advantage beyond wacky stat flipping. Since it’s triggered by an opponent’s attack, it’s not something you can proactively take advantage of. I do like the unique statline and point values here though.

Zolgues
This guy’s fun. At first blush Evasive doesn’t look like it fits the figure, but I like it more and more as a design choice that adds character to the mini rather than strictly representing it 1 to 1. And it’s certainly a necessary design element, as without it Gas Canister will be helping enemy range tear your golem to shreds. I really have few complaints here, I like the somewhat oddball choices that the designer made with this one.

Last edited by All Your Pie; October 27th, 2019 at 03:05 AM.
Old October 27th, 2019, 12:03 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Excellent contest!

The rules, for those interested, are here:
Spoiler Alert!

Nuckelavee
I love the power set with this mini. The mini definitely evokes the ideas of poison and a deathly touch. Unfortunately, what it does not evoke is a mighty base stat of Attack 5. I love this design, but I also have to be mindful that Attack 5 was one of the theme ingredients in the challenge, and I regretfully must offer the criticism that today's theme ingredient was just not used optimally here. This is a very Valkrill design, and I love it.

Pleocyemata
Very strong contender. The mini evokes the base stats and the powers. It *looks* like what it is. The stats and the powers blend perfectly with both the theme and the mini, and of course the theme and the mini blend well with each other. I prefer Aquilla to Ullar, which perhaps the designer also considered. I wonder if the price should be just a tick higher, but it's close. And it might be right. Also a quality bio and a nice addition to the biome of Valhalla.

Tezig
Tezig, like Nuckelavee, bumps up against friction with the contest rules. One of the requirements was that the contestant /not/ follow Utgar (or Jandar). This mini really screams Utgar to me. Could it possibly be another general? Sure. But that would have to be justified somehow in the bio or on the card, and none of that works together for me here. I also have issues with the bio. It is poorly written, with punctuation and spelling errors throughout. I have a thread where I offer to help people with stuff like this! Next time, please just ask! But when you have piles of errors in your writing, it makes it look like you did not care. And that is unfortunate, because often a writer *does* care, but then - through unforced errors in his or her own writing - makes the writer's own ideas look sloppier than they are.

The bio also says that the elves "pillage" the forests whenever they feel like it. I'm not sure that that's supported by 'Scape lore, and I am not prepared to buy such a sweeping change to the received game. Finally, "Heart of the Earth" looks like an ability that is essentially forced by (1) the contest requirement for a second power, and (2) *some* connection to Aquilla. But it doesn't work on either level, because it is not clear from the power name or its mechanics what it has to do with the theme of the mini.

Toraideshu
Woohoo, that is a *huge* ranged attack. At range, getting 5 attack dice? I don't see the mini justifying it, as I wrote above (when it was a more justifiable melee attack of 5). How is Tora getting the trident back so quickly that a multi-attack is justified? I get that "it's magic" might justify the single attack every turn, though I wouldn't like it. The multi-attack, though, feels tacked on to generate one of the two powers required for the contest. It's just there, not really justified.

At first glance I thought the "Tot toss" power was a joke. Levity in the competition! That would have been welcome. But now I am not so sure. What in this power has anything to do with tossing tots? Where do the tossed tots come from, and where are they being thrown to? Was the power name supposed to be something else? I'm just lost here. If it was a joke, I don't get it.

Trog & Gort
This is an excellent example of how to take a mini that looks like it belongs with one general - in this case, Utgar - and develops a theme on the card that justifies another general. Good job! I also like the ideas of the powers and the base stats seem appropriate. Ultimately, though, I can't endorse a tree-moving power. It's a map-wrecker, and the delicate balance of a well-designed map should not be so easily disrupted.

Also, "it's" is always short for "it is." Always. If you're using "it's," and you can't substitute "it is," then you meant to use "its" instead.

Ulag
Ulag is a fine design. Modest, even. He looks sort of Utgar, but Keep Still just *barely* hints at a sort of organized attack strategy that I associate with Einar, so I think it works. Though I think a more thematic name for the power (if I understand it correctly) would be something like "Hold Them Down!" Or something like that. Finishing Blow is also thematic. I can't abide what it does to the Deathwalkers, though, and other high defense, low Life heroes.

Yur Maigan Na
Anonymous, eh?

I love this design. It's fresh, it's thematic. But it's just way too much bookkeeping, so I can't endorse it. I do love it, though. I could look at designs like this, that take such a novel approach to theme & design, all day.

Zolgues
There's lots to like here. I like the theme of "explosive gas canisters" for this mini. Valkrill is clearly the right choice for the theme and the mini, as well. There are two missteps, as I see it, that keep the design from feeling finished. First, there is nothing about the sculpt that says "Evasive." That power, it seems to me, is on there (1) to fill out the second power requirement, and (2) to force melee in order to get the most drama out of the gas canisters. But it doesn't look evasive, and a simpler way to capture the same idea would have been a higher defense. That, however, would have left a gap for a second power and would have left more strategic room open for pinging him down from range. I don't accept that either of those is a good enough reason to shoehorn Evasive into a design where it doesn't obviously belong.

I'm also not sure why this is a Golem. The mini doesn't obviously look like a construct, and nothing else on the card hints that it is. Why not something demonic? I don't know and I can't tell. Between issues with "Golem" and Evasive, I won't endorse this one, either.

Conclusion:
So I'll be casting three votes. Pleocyemata, Ulag, and (after some reconsideration) YMN. I think Pleo is the strongest design here, both in terms of responding to the contest rules and in delivering a complete package of theme and mechanics going with the mini. The other two, despite their drawbacks indicated in my notes, are a cut above the rest. So I will vote for them as well.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; October 27th, 2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old October 27th, 2019, 01:31 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

We are so misunderstood. But will we give up? Never!

Last edited by kolakoski; October 28th, 2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old October 27th, 2019, 02:26 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Kolakoski, it was my understanding that this was supposed to be anonymous. Right? Did I miss something? And what if people perusing this thread don't want to *know* the vote count before they vote?

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; October 27th, 2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old October 27th, 2019, 04:04 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Thought didn’t matter at this point but I hear you and apologize.

Last edited by kolakoski; October 28th, 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Old October 28th, 2019, 05:08 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@kolakoski , please edit that post.

Also, sorry all my posts are scolding people for revealing their identities. I thought it was clear that anonymity was to be kept, but if you could talk about entries, including your own, as much as you want. If your entry needs clarification, I am happy to post it in the thread, but it will probably take a day or more for me to see and post it!

Thanks AYP and Dad_Scaper for those review posts, and thanks again to everyone who entered!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards