Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old May 9th, 2022, 08:36 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!
Anybody printing in brown resin?

I'd like to find a brown resin that would be good for printing basis, but looking on Amazon, brown seems to be a rare color. There are plenty of bottles that look brown but actually contain beige resin. So far all I've found in brown is the Rich-Opto brand, and it seems to have a lot of scary 1-star reviews.

So... any success stories here?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old May 11th, 2022, 12:57 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Anybody printing in brown resin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
I'd like to find a brown resin that would be good for printing basis, but looking on Amazon, brown seems to be a rare color. There are plenty of bottles that look brown but actually contain beige resin. So far all I've found in brown is the Rich-Opto brand, and it seems to have a lot of scary 1-star reviews.

I've printed tons of minis in resin but don't know why you'd want to print heroscape bases in resin. They are so flat and uniform that it's much easier to print them in filament flat on the bed rather than try them on a resin printer. Much better luck finding brown pla than brown resin. The only brown resin I know of, that's been used for resin bases is the stuff that yodajunkie used to use in a pour mold. The only other tidbit I could offer you if you had to print them in resin would be to just spray them with a rustoleum rattle can brown that is close to the color. Hope that helps.
Old May 29th, 2022, 01:04 AM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Two reasons I want to try printing bases in resin:
1. Most of the filament-printed bases I see in various photos have really obvious layer lines around the edge.
2. I don't have a filament printer.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old May 31st, 2022, 11:38 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

My dad and I also use colored resins and weren't able to find any brown. Not sure why. We print out bases in gray and use them like. I guess you could paint them brown if it really bothers you. Not a very high skill paint job. Personally I have no concern with looking exactly like official scape and I think the gray looks nice without stickers.

One thing about resin bases is that they can be kind of annoying to scrape off the build plate.
Old September 25th, 2022, 07:46 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post

I've printed tons of minis in resin but don't know why you'd want to print heroscape bases in resin. They are so flat and uniform that it's much easier to print them in filament flat on the bed rather than try them on a resin printer. Much better luck finding brown pla than brown resin. The only brown resin I know of, that's been used for resin bases is the stuff that yodajunkie used to use in a pour mold. The only other tidbit I could offer you if you had to print them in resin would be to just spray them with a rustoleum rattle can brown that is close to the color. Hope that helps.
Any recommendations on which brand and color PLA would be a close match for the brown used on Heroscape bases and tiles?
Old September 25th, 2022, 08:59 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I use this. Its a little darker, but barely enough to notice unless you're specifically looking for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old September 26th, 2022, 01:54 PM

Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Good Pig is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks for the tip and the photo comparison.
Old September 28th, 2022, 01:20 AM

UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun UtahScott is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
I use this. Its a little darker, but barely enough to notice unless you're specifically looking for it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Barely enough to notice is the key. I play with standard bases, differently brown bases, black bases, sharpie colored bases. You pay attention to the figure first, then the sticker and terrain color as background. The thing you absolutely do not see is the base. It's black on stage in the theatre, or white on a printed page.
Old September 28th, 2022, 07:58 AM

So I ended up purchasing this PLA from Ziro
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086JJ1P8C...t_details&th=1

It's a little lighter than the Heroscape brown. I wouldn't be so picky about it if I was just trying to print off bases, however I want to 3d print some terrain that will match.

On the Thingiverse details page the author recommends Light Brown from Inland. Going to return the first one from Ziro and try that next.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing