Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old December 27th, 2016, 01:39 PM

Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker
Grade for Prototype Hatamoto Taro

I'm curious to hear the community's opinion on Hatamoto's power ranking as the prototype version. I imagined around a B- whils a friend believes he's still an F.

Thoughts?
Old December 27th, 2016, 01:41 PM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Grade for Prototype Hatamoto Taro

Prototype version?
Old December 27th, 2016, 02:36 PM

Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker Grimnak knows what's in an order marker

I'm honestly not sure how to link the pictures but Hasbro orginally made slightly different versions of the flagbearers that were never released. If someone could link the card I'd really appreciate it.
Old December 27th, 2016, 02:53 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnak View Post
I'm honestly not sure how to link the pictures but Hasbro orginally made slightly different versions of the flagbearers that were never released. If someone could link the card I'd really appreciate it.
Try here.

Old December 28th, 2016, 11:09 AM

bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmon wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow. This is so much better! It would be really great to understand why this isn't the version we ultimately got.

I only have 3 house rules, but I think this version will be my 4th house rule moving forward. Thanks for bringing to my attention!
Old December 28th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Wow. This is so much better! It would be really great to understand why this isn't the version we ultimately got.

I only have 3 house rules, but I think this version will be my 4th house rule moving forward. Thanks for bringing to my attention!
Out of curiosity what are the 3 house rules?

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old December 28th, 2016, 01:36 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

See also the Competitive Unit Congress (CUC) card below (Prototype card but with 2 attack). I give this card about a B+, but I usually play with my CUA versions of Ashigaru Yari and Kato Katsuro or C3V Tomoe Gozen, so the ranking is with those, as I would either play with either Kato/Ashigaru or Unique Samurai build.
CUC Designed Card (150 DPI):

My Design (300 DPI):
Old December 28th, 2016, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Out of curiosity what are the 3 house rules?
I try to keep house rules very minimal and try to stay true to the original design, but I've implemented the following....

---------

1) Zettian Guards

Rule: Zettian Guards are a COMMON squad, rather than the designed UNIQUE squad.

Reason: These guys are already an expensive 2 squad unit. Additionally, because of Zettian Targeting, they really benefit from having more presence. Making them COMMON allows for this, yet keeps them at a significant investment of points. I only make 3 squads available for my players to draft.

2) Expensive Common Squads

Rule: The highest point value a COMMON squad of 3 figures can cost is 110. This is a cap that affects 3 squads: Templar Cavalry (120), Grok Riders (130), and Einar Imperium (140).

Reason: These COMMON squads are already overpriced. Worse than that, they become even less desirable when playing via army drafting since these units are too easily countered by units such as Braxas, Zelrig, or any other COMMON squad killers. With every game at my house being played via drafting, this cap helps ease the risk in drafting them.

3) Shadow Tiles

Rule: For every 25 points used to draft a unit that benefits from shadow tiles, a shadow tile can be placed by that drafting player on any empty space on the map. The point value is rounded up. Tile placement is done just prior to unit placement. Reminder: Shadow tiles cannot be placed on other zero-height tiles (water, lava, etc).

Reason: I never design maps with shadow tiles. This rule is to keep the units that benefit from them viable.

-----------

I've actually brought the third one up before on this site to get extra opinions on it. (You even commented, @wriggz )...

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=52957

Pretty minor adjustments. The shadow tile rule is the one that is most often applicable and it works out great. The others are subtle card changes. I don't intend to use a bunch of altered cards, but this Hatamoto Taro prototype card just feels right. The flag bearers see some decent use at my house. I'd like to keep HT viable amongst them.
Old December 29th, 2016, 01:18 AM

Speaking of flagbearers, we've implemented a hugely successful method of incorporating them in games. When drafting, all players are given a choice. They are allowed to draft whatever they want up to the given point total; however, those that drafted units all from the same faction receive that faction's flagbearers for free.

This is beneficial for two reasons:

1.) Those who want to play their favorite units/armies can draft them as they please.
2.) Those who remain within the limited pool get a consolation prize.

We do play with the prototype Hatamoto. We also play with the prototype Laglor (costs 10 more points - if he's not given out for free), and a house-ruled Acolarh (our only houserule - we roll 12 dice for his ability and it still never works).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles