Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Notices

Old July 20th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun
Heroes of Fiction: Playtesting Thread

Current Playtests:
Simon Belmont Proxy - Playtest 1, Playtest 2
Doctor Who Proxy
Agent J Proxy

Much of this information has been taked directly from C3G's awesome playtesting procedures. They deserve all the credit.

HERE IS AN EMPTY PLAYTESTING FORM TO FILL OUT

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF A COMPLETED PLAYTEST FORM

FAQs

Q - What is Play-Testing?
A - Play-Testing is a term used to describe what people do to "test" a new game or game component simply playing the game through a series of prescribed tests to check for brokenness or game compatibility.

Q - Who can Play-Test?
A - Anyone can Play-Test.

Q - How do I know what to play-test?
A - The current list of figures ready to playtest are linked to the top of this post.

Q - How do I play-test?
A - Here is a detailed list on how to play-test each Design type.
Spoiler Alert!

Q - Are there any hints, tips, or guides on how to Play-test?
A - This post can be very helpful in listing a few things that you should look for when Play-testing.
Spoiler Alert!

Q - How do I document my play-test results?
A - Here is a LINK to a download. This download is a form that should be filled out when playtesting units.

Q - Where do I post my Feedback Form when I have completed it?
A - Post your results in this thread.

Q - Do I need to use Order Markers and other conventions of the game (like initiative rolls) when I do Heavy Hitter and Squad tests?
A - You need to play both the Heavy Hitters and Squad tests like a normal game. Meaning, you don't just roll for initial initiative and then just go back and forth alternating turn. You use OM's like normal. So if the tested unit had the last turn in one round, if he wins initiative, he can have first turn in next round.

Q - How in depth should my feedback be?
A -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Playtester Hahma from C3G
I keep a notebook with me when testing and I write every turn down when testing. You don't have to, but you should at least jot down a note here and there to acknowledge certain points during a test that might be important. If either team wins because of winning most of initiatives to get advantage, that's worth noting. If either team rolls unusually good attack or defense, that's worth noting. Anything that might be worth the readers of the test sheet needing to know to get a better idea of the events during the test can be noted. If nothing else, keep some notes so that if someone questions your test results, you can go back and say, "well this happened that was unusual or that happened, or so in so had height advantage throughout the game or whatever." That can help people judge test results better.
Also, here is a Document that can help organize your playtests and keep track of each event.

Q - Is it possible to play-test on my own without an opponent?
A - Yes. See below.
Spoiler Alert!

Feel free to ask any questions on Playtesting, as we will be dealing specifically with the ins and outs of Play-testing here.

Again, I want to thank C3G for putting together this comprehensive and easy to use Play-Testing turtorial. You can find a list of all of their figures here.

Last edited by Balantai; August 10th, 2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old July 27th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Heroes of Fiction: Playtesting Thread

Do we still want to playtest these figures? If not, we can send them over to A3n for carding.
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balantai View Post
Do we still want to playtest these figures? If not, we can send them over to A3n for carding.
I think we should get some playtesting done before we card the figures. Testing is the best way to make sure the points are correct.
I'm working on some TrekScape projects then should have some time to do some tests. I was even able to pick up the Phantom Knights to have some undead to test Simon Belmont against.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:50 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
I think we should get some playtesting done before we card the figures. Testing is the best way to make sure the points are correct.
Agreed.

I am hoping to get some game time in this weekend. I'll give Simon a go around. I don't have any undead, but hey, that is what proxies are for, right?
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Proxies are absolutely fine for playtesting. I was hoping Hidicul was going to playtest for us, also, but he seems to have dissappeared a bit.
Old August 6th, 2010, 11:47 PM

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Here are all the cards completed for the Heroes of Fiction project as of 11/7/2011
Spoiler Alert!

Here's a link to the Photobucket album for the Hi-Res Heroes of Fiction cards.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; November 7th, 2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added Hi-Res versions of all cards 11/7/2011. Added link to album.
Old August 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very nice card for Simon mac...heres the temporary one I made up. Includes the hitzone for my current proxy..the drow chain fighter. I love playing scape but I dont have a lot of time to play that often so I am hoping to get to play this coming weekend.

Old August 9th, 2010, 09:50 AM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

OK, I am not totally finished playtesting Simon yet, but since I probably won't get to play again for at least a week and a half I will go ahead and post what results I do have. I tested him several times against each opponent just to minimize "luck-of-the-roll" as much as possbile.

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Simon Belmont

-THEME TEST: Pass

-MIRROR TEST: Pass

-BONDING TEST: Pass

-SYNERGIES TEST: Pass

-POWER CHECK: Not sure yet.

-FUN TEST: Pass

-FUN COMPETITIVE TEST: Not sure yet

-DRAFTING TEST: Not sure yet

-USAGE TEST: Pass

-STRATEGY TEST: Pass

-HEAVY HITTER OR MID-LEVEL HERO
TEST 1
Map: Quasatch Playground
Units: Simon Belmont vs. Cyprien Esenwein
Simon wins on turn 2 of round 2 with no wounds. Cyprien wiffed quite a few defense rolls and didn't get Chilling Touch on any of his turns.

TEST 2
Units: Simon Belmont vs. Cyprien Esenwein
Cyprein wins on turn 2 of round 2 with 7 wounds; a very fun and very close game.

TEST 3
Units: Simon Belmont vs. Cyprien Esenwein (one more time)
Simon wins on turn 2 of round 2 with 2 wounds

TEST 4
Units: Simon Belmont vs. Tandros Kreel
Tandros wins on turn 2 of round 2 (are you noticing a pattern here) with 4 wounds.

TEST 5
andros wins on turn 3 of round 2 with 4 wounds

TEST 6
Tandros wins on turn 2 of round 3 with 2 wounds. Simon wiffed every attack roll for round 2.

SQUAD TEST
TEST 1
Map: QP
Units: Simon Belmont vs. Stingers x2
Gee, take a guess who won
Stingers win on turn 1 of round 2 but Simon did take out a full squad first

TEST 2
Units: Simon Belmont vs. KOW x2
KOW win on turn 1 of round 2; Simon took out 2 knights

TEST 3
Units: Simon Belmont vs. Zombies of Morindan x2
Simon wins turn 1 of round 3 with 4 wounds

TEST 4
Units: Simon Belmont vs. Zombies x2
Zombies win on turn 1 of round 2 with only 1 zombie destroyed. I changed strategies for this game and they tore Simon up.

TEST 5
Units: simon Belmont vs. Zombies x2
Simon wins on turn 1 of round 3 with 1 wound. I tried the same strategy with the zombies as in Test 4 but I saw a hole in it and Simon slipped through that hole and decimated the zombies.

Conclusion so far:
Against undead Simon rocks! The Sense Undead ability is an awesome advantage. It almost didn't matter who won initiative. With both Cyprien and the Zombies, strategy was the winner of the day so I think he is well balanced against them. Simon definitely is worth his points against them each, especially against Cyprien who is 150 points vs. Simon at 120.

What keeps him at 120 even though he can beat Cyprien in a match up is that he isn't all that great against non-undead; at least not yet. he didn't win a single match-up against non-undead units. So far this makes him a great counter draft hero.

For the army test these are the armies I will be playing when I get a chance:
Simon Belmont 120
KOW x2 140
4th Mass x2 140
400 points (can anyone say All Valiant Defense Bonus)

vs.

Cyprien 150
Zombies x2 120
Stingers x2 120
Isamu 10
400 points

I will post results for that test when I get a chance to play it.
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:05 PM

Nice job, LC!
I've done some squad tests with Simon and will hopefully be able to finish the rest and do some hero tests this evening.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Old August 9th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Great work. I'd +rep you guys if it would let me.
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM

Only squad and hero tests so far.

NAME OF THE TEST UNIT: Simon Belmont

(Test results subject to change after army tests)
-THEME TEST: Pass

-MIRROR TEST: Pass

-BONDING TEST: Pass

-SYNERGIES TEST: Pass

-POWER CHECK: Conditional Pass. I don't see a problem here, but I am in no way a Heroscape scholar. There may be something I've missed.

-FUN TEST: Pass

-FUN COMPETITIVE TEST: Pass

-DRAFTING TEST: Pass and Fail. Pass vs. Undead and Fail vs. Living

-USAGE TEST: Pass

-STRATEGY TEST: Pass

Battlefield: BoV Fossil
Test 1: Simon vs. Phantom Knights
Simon wins easily taking only 1 wound.
Spoiler Alert!

Test 2: Simon vs. PK's x2
2 Squads of Phantom Knights win with 2 figures remaining.
Spoiler Alert!

Simon vs. PK's x2 - the rematch
Simon wins with one wound to spare.
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts: Simon is extremely tough against Undead, but not invulnerable. Vampire Hunter all but makes it a sure kill, but swarming squads can overwhelm him. Not sure he's playing up to 120 pts. Tests against a Non-Undead squad may shed more light.

Simon Belmont vs. Nakita Agents
Nakita win losing only 1 figure.
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts: Simon, like many melee heroes falters against ranged squads.

Simon Belmont vs. Agent Carr
Agent Carr wins with one life remaining
Spoiler Alert!

Simon vs. Carr – the Rematch.
Agent Carr wins with 1 life remaining, again.
Spoiler Alert!

Simon vs. Cyprien Esenwein
Cyprien wins with one life remaining.
Spoiler Alert!

Thoughts: So far, Simon Belmont seems worth his 120 points against Undead figures. He lost to Cyprien, but with a 30 point advantage, that should not be unexpected. He split the 2 games vs. the Phantom Knightsx2. I would definitely draft him if I knew I was facing Vampires or Zombies. Against the living, Simon will most likely watch from the sidelines.

Powers:
Sense Undead very thematic and useful. Whip came in handy when trying to avoid engagement. Vampire Hunter definitely a great ability against Undead.

If we want Simon to be a counter against the Undead, we're on the right track. If we want Simon to be a more "well-rounded" figure, we're going to have to tweak the stats. Maybe a double attack in exchange for a reduction in the Vampire Hunter to 1 less defense die (just a thought).

Hope to have at least one army test done tomorrow evening.
Well, that didn't happen. I'm trying to carve out some time to finish this playtest and hope to have the army tests done by this weekend.

Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List

Last edited by mac122; August 12th, 2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Since there's not a huge amount of enthusiam for playtesting, let's only require two playtests per custom. Anyone else that chooses to playtest can choose The Doctor or Agent J.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum