Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old January 14th, 2018, 12:12 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Then I played a 5 player game of Scythe with the Wind Gambit expansion. I brought my 6x4 table so we could us the larger side of the board with the extension. It was fun and I got to try out some of the new coins I got for it. I got both the $2 and $50 coins, but never got into the $50's. So with the 1's, 2's, 3's, 5's, 10's, 20's and 50's, there are plenty of cool metal coins for use with other games as well. The resin resource pieces are also great.

Glad your wife likes Splendor If my wife liked any games, I'd play them anytime she wanted, but she is total non-gamer. I like Splendor, and it doesn't take that long, so you have plenty of time for other games as well in a game night.
Hey Hahama, sorry to drag this up again but I was wondering what you think of Scythe after having for a while? I am still trying to find that next game that my wife will like. I have put Splendor on the back burner and am looking very strongly at either Five Tribes or Scythe.

Five Tribes - I have wanted this one for quite some time. It looks very interesting and fun to me. I think that maybe she would like it too.

Scythe - This one also looks very interesting to me, plus, my wife used to love Risk and was pretty good at it. So I was thinking that an area control game like Scythe might be to her liking. I know that it is technically an engine-building game but it seems to have an area control element to it also.

My worry is that either, or both of these games might be too complicated in the beginning and might turn her off before she even learns to play. I know that both games are considered middle to heavy-weight games. Thoughts?

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; January 14th, 2018 at 02:34 PM.
Old January 14th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

I'll have to get back to you @keglo . The wife and kids just wanted to start watching some iZombie on Netflix. It's our jam, so I can't pass it up.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 14th, 2018, 03:10 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
I'll have to get back to you @keglo . The wife and kids just wanted to start watching some iZombie on Netflix. It's our jam, so I can't pass it up.
Hah! Take your time. It will be a few weeks before I buy anyway. Please, enjoy your iZombie

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old January 14th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Quote:
Hah! Take your time. It will be a few weeks before I buy anyway. Please, enjoy your iZombie

Okay. we have watched a few and the wife is iZombie'd out for now

I still love Scythe. I have never played it two player and think it might be too wide open in that there would be little interaction or much threat of battle. The fewest I've played it with is 3 and that was several times with my daughters, when they were still into playing games.

Scythe isn't that difficult to play actually. It takes a bit of time to set it up and explain it the first time, but after a few rounds, it's easy to catch on. There's some engine building to it, area control, resource management. It's not a war game, and I have seen some people on BGG that were a little disappointed that with all the Mechs and such, that it's not a war game. It's more of a cold war type tension, and there are some battles to be sure if people choose to attack, but the essence of the game isn't fighting. Now the threat of battle is a neat element that adds tension, because by winning a battle, whether attacking or defending, you get to place 1 of your 6 stars. You can only place 2 stars from winning a battle, except for Saxony because that's their faction's special ability. There's a track at the top of the board that has a spot that represent all of the ways you can place one of your stars, and everyone can have their star go on the same spot, so it's not locked out or anything. Whenever a player places their 6th star, the game ends immediately and you score it. The ending is something that may bother some people, as you don't finish the round out after someone places their 6th star so everyone gets equal numbers of turns. It can come suddenly, but part of the game too, is to pay attention to other player's player boards, because you will be able to get an idea of how close they are to completing certain things in order to perhaps lay down 2 stars in a single and final turn.

There are 5 factions and each has their own faction board and each has their own abilities. Each has 4 Mechs that can be placed onto the board, with 2 of them basically being the same all around. The Speed Mech getting placed allows all your other Mechs and character figure move an extra space when they take a move action. Then there is the Riverwalk Mech, but while each player will have a Riverwalk Mech, they each will cross rivers to different terrain type combinations. So one might allow your mechs and character to cross a river to a forest or mountain, while another player's will allow to cross onto tundra and farms. Then each player will have 2 mechs that are unique to their faction.

Then there are 5 different player boards where all the wood pieces start out in their own little slotted spaces. The boards are split into 4 sections and each having a top and bottom action that you can take. On your turn, you place your action pawn on one of those sections and then you can take either the top, bottom or both actions, but if you take both, you have to take the top one first. You can't take the same action space twice in a row, so you will have to move your action pawn to another one, unless you are Rusviet, who's faction ability allows them to use the same action space more than once in a row. All the bottom row actions are the same type from left to right as the other player boards, though they will have different costs and bonuses for the actions. The top row actions, while everyone will have the same actions, they are not in the same order from left to right. So players will have different combinations of top and bottom row actions should they choose to take both.

Often, the combination of your faction and player board will determine some of the direction you will go, because factions start in their own unique parts of the board and have their own combinations of resource hexes near them. Top row actions generally cost money and when you get more workers out, then you will start having to pay in popularity and power when taking the production top action. The bottom row actions will cost resources. It cost oil to use upgrade action, iron to use deploy action (deploy mechs), wood to build structures, food to enlist. So based on your player board and where you start out, you may choose certain paths because the cost in materials for bottom row actions lines up better with what's easier for you to get. Of course, you can always use the top row trade action to get resources otherwise hard to get, but not as efficient as using the production action.

You can place a star for upgrading 8 times, deploying 4 mechs, building 4 structures, reaching the top of the power track though bolster actions, reaching the top of the popularity track by various means, enlisting all 4 pieces, winning battles (up to 2 stars unless Saxony, where it's unlimited) and completing one of the two objective cards you get dealt at the start of the game, though Saxony can get 2 stars by completing both. So there are many different ways for players to go to get stars. Also, there are encounter tokens in various parts of the board. When your character ends their move there, you draw an encounter card and read it. There is a great piece of art on the card that tries to tie in with the 3 choices of rewards you can make. All players can only choose one reward, except Polonia, who gets to take two rewards. Usually there is a good guy reward, neutral reward and kind of bad guy reward. So depending on what you choose, you might get a little something for being a good guy, may be able to do a certain thing or get a certain thing for neutral guy, or get something better but cost you popularity or something else for being a bad guy.

Each faction will start on a certain spot on the popularity track and that track has 3 tiers. You will all start in the lowest tier. Basically, each tier on the popularity track has multipliers in columns to the right of it for end game scoring. So the higher the tier you end up, the higher multiplier you will have for how many stars you have placed, how many areas you control, how many resources you have control of. All of that is added up at the end of the game and players are given those points in money. So add that to any money you already had and that's your final score.

There is more to it than that of course, but that's the majority of it. The base game has that 6th star placed immediate ending rule. Their latest expansion, The Wind Gambit, with the airships, has a bunch of various ending condition cards/pieces, and you will choose one randomly to give you a different game end condition. It will certainly add more variety to play styles and player tastes. But that has only just come out, as I only recently got it. So my friends and I have enjoyed this game as it was with the base game for all this time.

I've played Five Tribes a couple times and like it. But I think it is harder to learn right away and more AP prone. You pick up pieces from one tile and have to move as many spaces as pieces and drop off the pieces as you go. It gets pretty tricky in having to plan where you want to go or can go, as it's kind of puzzly. Also, you really can't plan your turn much in advance because the player before you could totally mess up what you wanted to do and now you have to rethink and count spaces vs pieces picked up and the reward that you will get for where you go.

It's hard to say which one your wife would like better. With Five Tribes there is always player interaction due to someone taking pieces you were going for, though not that they did it to screw you on purpose kind of interaction. With Scythe, the more players, the more interaction because the board gets tighter and more competition for things and more threats of battle. With only 3 players, people can not have any conflict or interaction, as people can just stay to certain parts of the board and try to build their engine and end the game on their own conditions. You can still have battles of course, and the tunnels on the board allow for sneak attacks, so there is still the threat. Also, with regard to battle, you don't lose pieces if you lose a battle. Your pieces just go back to your home base in your starting area and are certainly usable to move out and do their thing again.

Sorry for the incredibly long post. I sometimes....okay, often...have a hard time answering or describing things in a quick manner. One of my twin daughters got that from me too, so it takes her all through dinner to tell us how her day at school was, whereas the other one is quick and non-detailed. I've gotten better (in person) because the guy I primarily work with had ADD, so I've learned that if I don't keep it short, he loses focus and is on to other things.

TLDR: Yes, I still like Scythe a lot. I like Five Tribes as well but have only played it twice and think it would be a little more difficult to learn at first.

Old January 14th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry for the incredibly long post. I sometimes....okay, often...have a hard time answering or describing things in a quick manner. One of my twin daughters got that from me too, so it takes her all through dinner to tell us how her day at school was, whereas the other one is quick and non-detailed. I've gotten better (in person) because the guy I primarily work with had ADD, so I've learned that if I don't keep it short, he loses focus and is on to other things.

TLDR: Yes, I still like Scythe a lot. I like Five Tribes as well but have only played it twice and think it would be a little more difficult to learn at first.
Please don't apologize for that very detailed response. I really appreciate it. And it will help me make a decision I think.

I had all but decided on Five Tribes when I was reminded of Scythe. I have been watching videos on both and I have started leaning more towards Scythe. Both games look incredibly interesting to me and probably would to her too. But again, she is a hard one to figure out. I am a little worried regarding your concerns about 2-player Scythe. We have a third person a fair amount of the time, but often it is just the two of us. If I can I'll get her to watch a couple of videos, although she is less than enthusiastic about doing that.

I have already watched Rodney Smith do his thing on "Watch it Played" with both games. And I am in the process of reading through both rule books trying to get a feel for the games and their respective difficulties. I'll figure it out soon enough. I plan on having them both at some point anyway. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:34 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:

Please don't apologize for that very detailed response. I really appreciate it. And it will help me make a decision I think.

I had all but decided on Five Tribes when I was reminded of Scythe. I have been watching videos on both and I have started leaning more towards Scythe. Both games look incredibly interesting to me and probably would to her too. But again, she is a hard one to figure out. I am a little worried regarding your concerns about 2-player Scythe. We have a third person a fair amount of the time, but often it is just the two of us. If I can I'll get her to watch a couple of videos, although she is less than enthusiastic about doing that.

I have already watched Rodney Smith do his thing on "Watch it Played" with both games. And I am in the process of reading through both rule books trying to get a feel for the games and their respective difficulties. I'll figure it out soon enough. I plan on having them both at some point anyway. Thanks again for the help. I really appreciate it.
Glad I can help some Keglo

I don't often get to play games that play up to 4 or 5 with only 2 players. Usually if there are only 2 players for a game, it's more than likely going to be a 2 player game I'd play, just because it's so hard to get those played at game night with 15-20 people.

I'm guessing that Five Tribes would be better 2 player than Scythe.

I have played Guild Hall 2 player and that was fine, though it plays up to 4. Same with Suburbia, that one is good with 2 players. Eminent Domain should be fine 2 players.

I really like Concordia and it plays 2-5 and has 2 sides of a game board, one side is more spread out for 4-5 and the other is more of a 2-4 player, but it's still a bit open for only 2 players. Part of what you do is building cities and getting into different territories, but with fewer people, the less you have to build into each others built cities, which would cost more to do. They do have the Germania/Britannia expansion which I have. Germania is for more people, but Britannia is smaller and I've played it several times with 2 players, though it's still a little open. I just ordered the Creta/Aegyptus expansion that is supposed to be really good for 2 players. I also ordered the Salsa expansion, but that's just because it's a cool over all expansion that adds a lot.

Old January 14th, 2018, 10:37 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Quote:

Scythe is one of my favorite games. I've played at 2, 3, and 4 players and I think it works at each count. The dynamic just changes and it's obviously more congested and prone to conflict the higher the player count, but it is still competitive at 2 and 3 because you're trying to keep pace with the other player(s) and build your engine as efficiently as possible. I've played the game five times so far and have no desire to add expansions yet, other than the first expansion that adds two more factions to the game. Changing the win conditions/adding the airships sounds cool, but I just feel there is still a lot to get from the base game before I want to begin changing or adding elements.

I've introduced Scythe to a few people who have gone on to purchase it, which is about the highest rating you can give a game. The rules say the game will be approximately 25 minutes per player, which sounds right, but not until everyone knows what they are doing, which would take at least a couple plays (not to grasp the game, that happens fairly quickly, but to get to the point where you're not stuck contemplating all the options in front of you and can keep the game moving from player to player).

There is another Stonemaier game that I also enjoy a lot called Viticulture. It has some similar elements, but is more a straight worker placement engine builder without the area control. Like Scythe it is well designed, has wonderful components, and gives you a lot of options and always contemplating what your next best play is. I specifically mention this game because it scales well too. It's all about wine making, which is a fun and different theme if you enjoy wine or just the idea of making a fine wine and profiting from it. You start out with very little and you've got to plant grapes, expand your operation, and ultimately sell wine to gain victory points. It was a hit this Christmas when I was able to break it out a few times with my wife, sister-in-law, and 13 year old daughter. Less outright conflict, but very competitive as the number of available spaces to place your workers decreases with the number of players.

And since I'm stuck on Stonemaier, there is also a new Stonemaier worker placement game called Charterstone that adds a legacy component where new surprises/components/mechanics are unlocked as you play multiple games leaving each owner of the game with their own, unique final game and board that is fully replayable. My friend got this for Christmas, but I have not played it yet. I just expect very good things from it being a Stonemaier game and there is a lot of positive buzz about it right now.
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:52 PM
Who Bummed Woo

rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla rym is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

keglo, have you looked at or given any consideration to Dice Forge? Interesting game where you get to physically change the dice faces as the game progresses to get more powerful dice to get more coin to buy better upgrade faces or destiny cards that score you victory points at the end. I've played it 2,3 and 4 players and it plays well at each level. 2-player actually plays in about half an hour or so (assuming there isn't much AP going on, lol). Fun game and very enjoyable.

"Chewie should move 6, lumbering or not. He's got long-ass legs"-
Old January 14th, 2018, 11:54 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
I am still trying to find that next game that my wife will like.
What games does she like and what does she like about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Glad I can help some Keglo

I don't often get to play games that play up to 4 or 5 with only 2 players. Usually if there are only 2 players for a game, it's more than likely going to be a 2 player game I'd play, just because it's so hard to get those played at game night with 15-20 people.

I'm guessing that Five Tribes would be better 2 player than Scythe.

I have played Guild Hall 2 player and that was fine, though it plays up to 4. Same with Suburbia, that one is good with 2 players. Eminent Domain should be fine 2 players.

I really like Concordia and it plays 2-5 and has 2 sides of a game board, one side is more spread out for 4-5 and the other is more of a 2-4 player, but it's still a bit open for only 2 players. Part of what you do is building cities and getting into different territories, but with fewer people, the less you have to build into each others built cities, which would cost more to do. They do have the Germania/Britannia expansion which I have. Germania is for more people, but Britannia is smaller and I've played it several times with 2 players, though it's still a little open. I just ordered the Creta/Aegyptus expansion that is supposed to be really good for 2 players. I also ordered the Salsa expansion, but that's just because it's a cool over all expansion that adds a lot.
Thanks again Hahma. Some of those games I have never heard of. I'll look them up. I am still heavily leaning towards Scythe. There is just so much that I find appealing about that game. I have been reading opinions about 2-player Scythe and most speak favorably about it. I have also seen it mentioned more than once that some like to mix in the Automa deck for a third player. Have you messed around with the Automa deck much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post
Scythe is one of my favorite games. I've played at 2, 3, and 4 players and I think it works at each count. The dynamic just changes and it's obviously more congested and prone to conflict the higher the player count, but it is still competitive at 2 and 3 because you're trying to keep pace with the other player(s) and build your engine as efficiently as possible. I've played the game five times so far and have no desire to add expansions yet, other than the first expansion that adds two more factions to the game. Changing the win conditions/adding the airships sounds cool, but I just feel there is still a lot to get from the base game before I want to begin changing or adding elements.

I've introduced Scythe to a few people who have gone on to purchase it, which is about the highest rating you can give a game. The rules say the game will be approximately 25 minutes per player, which sounds right, but not until everyone knows what they are doing, which would take at least a couple plays (not to grasp the game, that happens fairly quickly, but to get to the point where you're not stuck contemplating all the options in front of you and can keep the game moving from player to player).

There is another Stonemaier game that I also enjoy a lot called Viticulture. It has some similar elements, but is more a straight worker placement engine builder without the area control. Like Scythe it is well designed, has wonderful components, and gives you a lot of options and always contemplating what your next best play is. I specifically mention this game because it scales well too. It's all about wine making, which is a fun and different theme if you enjoy wine or just the idea of making a fine wine and profiting from it. You start out with very little and you've got to plant grapes, expand your operation, and ultimately sell wine to gain victory points. It was a hit this Christmas when I was able to break it out a few times with my wife, sister-in-law, and 13 year old daughter. Less outright conflict, but very competitive as the number of available spaces to place your workers decreases with the number of players.

And since I'm stuck on Stonemaier, there is also a new Stonemaier worker placement game called Charterstone that adds a legacy component where new surprises/components/mechanics are unlocked as you play multiple games leaving each owner of the game with their own, unique final game and board that is fully replayable. My friend got this for Christmas, but I have not played it yet. I just expect very good things from it being a Stonemaier game and there is a lot of positive buzz about it right now.
Thank you. I well certainly check out Stonemaier's other games. As stated above, I am still leaning towards Scythe so I'm glad to hear that you like it so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rym View Post
keglo, have you looked at or given any consideration to Dice Forge? Interesting game where you get to physically change the dice faces as the game progresses to get more powerful dice to get more coin to buy better upgrade faces or destiny cards that score you victory points at the end. I've played it 2,3 and 4 players and it plays well at each level. 2-player actually plays in about half an hour or so (assuming there isn't much AP going on, lol). Fun game and very enjoyable.
I have. And I have it on my wish list already. It does look like an interesting game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
I am still trying to find that next game that my wife will like.
What games does she like and what does she like about them?
She likes Kingdom Builder and Risk. As to why, she says "I don't know", whenever I ask her.

Old January 15th, 2018, 11:40 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

@keglo 2-player Scythe is good with the Automa deck. There is an app (Scythekick) that makes Automa even easier, but I like having the deck. I have used it to run 2 Automa in a solo game, and the app works well.
Old January 15th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Prickly Cactus

@keglo

Seems like it can be good with 2 players after all. That’s cool! I just hadn't had that experience and didn't want to say it was good if I hadn't tried it. I just knew that as with Concordia on bigger maps, there can be less competition in certain aspects of the game because of so much openess. But there are other things to do and compete for to apparently make it still good. That's great, and then you still have a nice game that you can always add more players to and get different experiences.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games