Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

View Poll Results: Who will be the Champion and crowned 'Best 4 Species Army'?
A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar... 17 50.00%
Lamentation 2 5.88%
Incredibly Creative Army Name 12 35.29%
Should Have Been from Kinseth 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 8th, 2014, 03:53 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Competitive Army Challenge 3: kevindola wins

Champion: A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar… - kevindola

Roman Legionnaires x3, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Me-Burq-Sa, Cyprien Esenwein, Marro Warriors

Runner Up: Incredibly Creative Army Name - dok
Deathreavers x3, Nilfheim, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents

#3) Should Have Been From Kinseth- awesomeunleashed
Greenscale Warriors x2, Nilfheim, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents

#4) Lamentation - Kinseth
Deathreavers x3, Nilfheim, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents

#5) Come Eat at Q’s - flameslayer93
Major Q9, Nakita Agents, Laglor, Black Wyrmling x4

#6) We Can Kill This Thing Together, Standing Strong Forever, Nothing’s Gonna Stomp Us Now– Dysole
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents

#7) Death of Fresh Air- weebaer
Death Knights of Valkrill x4, Dumutef Guard x4, Air Elemental x3, Krav Maga Agents

#8. Monsters & Men– Arch-vile
Ashigaru Harquebus x3, Ornak, Krug, Fen Hydra, Isamu

#9 ) Monkey in the Middle– mcorriga
Goblin Cutters x4, Krug, Laglor, Krav Maga Agents (sit 1 goblin cutter)

#10) #justOPthings<3– Foudzing
Greenscale Warriors x2, Braxas, Krav Maga Agents, Heirloom, Isamu

***Remainder listed alphabetically***

a Robot and his Beasts – jetjake
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x1, Mimring, Krug, Major Q10

Beastmasters – Taeblewalker
Arrow Gruts x3, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Ice Troll Berserker, Raelin (SotM)

Blades/Claws/Fangs – Owlman
Zombies of Morindan x2, Maarden Hounds x1, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Elite Onyx Vipers, Kozuke Samurai, Isamu

C’MON, HIT ME – elvenwizard9
Marro Stingers x3, Torin, Fen Hydra, Zettian Guards, deathreavers x1

Diversity of Utgar – mtl1998
Ornak, Brunak, Frost Giant of Morh, Mimring, Marcu Esenwein, Isamu

Gimme Your Soul – yamissflash
Shades of Bleakewoode x2, Kaemon Awa, Fen Hydra, Ne-Gok-Sa

Gorillas in the Mist – patyoda
Gorillinators x2, Nakita Agents, Red Wyrmling x4, Warriors of Ashra x2, Otonashi

Hairy and Ugly – Belgarath
Anubian Wolves x3, Dumutef Guard x4, Warden 816, Gurei-Oni, Otonashi

M.O.O.C Squad – kurhan
Marro Stingers x2, Death Chasters of Thesk x2, Torin, Ogre Warhulk, Swog Rider x1

Rats in the Jungle– Ixe
Deathreavers x3, Marro Stingers x2, Raelin (SotM), Sgt. Drake Alexander (SotM)

Ready to Resubmit– Vegietarian18
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents

Relentless Frenzy – IshMEL
Death Knights of Valkrill x2, Air Elemental x2, Venoc Warlord, Sir Hawthorne, Aubrien Archers x2

Spidergirl and her Disgusting Friends – fomox
Fyorlag Spiders x4, Wyvern x1, Estivara, Raelin (SotM), Drow Chainfighter x2, Marcu Esenwein

Stereotyped Arrow Gruts – Not User Name
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Krug, Raelin (SotM), Isamu

The Green Arrow – kolakoski
Greenscale Warriors x2, Braxas, Syvarris, Ana Karithon

There Will Be War – Aldin
Roman Legionnaires x2, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Ne-Gok-Sa, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents

Coolest Army: A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar… by kevindola

Playoff Matchups
Spoiler Alert!

Format Summary

Spoiler Alert!

Maps:

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by kevindola; January 22nd, 2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old December 8th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Competitive Army Challenge 3: Species Diversity (Due 12/

Oooh, fun.

I put together two I think are quite good very quickly---both are types of armies I'd usually think about for competitive play and only needed a little tweaking to hit the criteria. I imagine I'll have dozens that I have to then pick one of by the time I've done musing.

Thanks for running this!
Old December 8th, 2014, 11:00 PM

weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby! weebaer rolls all skulls baby!

Cool, I have submitted.

I went for a few style points using figs that aren't played much in competition.

There are some very obvious bonding armies that consistently do well in competitive play that fit right in to the format, but I chose not to go that route.
Old December 9th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Does interesting things to common squads. Looks like fun!

~Aldin, thinking there are two "obvious" armies to him

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 9th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

I'm in!

A format for Heroes and Unique Squads!
Old December 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Lol at the 85 points limit in order to not have Raelin as a must pick...

Well played Kevindola, you are a smart guy.

Old December 11th, 2014, 02:36 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post

Well played Kevindola, you are a smart guy.
I noticed that as well. These formats are interesting in how they can shift certain effective costs. Many of the highly competitive units are so good because they are inexpensive for their value, but this army building restriction means that you must weigh their point total against what else you must draft to include them in your army in the first place, as well as maintaining necessary space for the rest of your units.
Old December 11th, 2014, 02:55 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foudzing View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about.....

Alright, I'm sure it's pretty transparent that it's there to eliminate Raelin who would have been in 95% of the armies. Also there to eliminate using Gwyn/Marcu/Isamu/Oto as qualifying species with minimal investment.

I know some people don't like restrictions and really don't like specific restrictions like points limits per XYZ. But really there isn't much point to doing a species minimum format without making Raelin difficult to get in there. (I also feel if you are trying to do a rainbow format too (multi-general), you have to put in a minimum points per general or you will just have standard tournament armies with lots of general filler)
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I thought Raelin cost 120

~Aldin, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth-ly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 13th, 2014, 09:56 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I've submitted mine!

Old December 15th, 2014, 10:33 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

Some stats so far:

-16 entries

-22 different species

-The most used species is in 10 different armies. 2nd most used is in 7 armies and then 2 species are tied at 3rd most used with 6 times. (dropoff after that)

-The most used figure is in 6 armies. Of the top 6 most used army cards we have 3 unique heroes, 1 uncommon hero, and 2 squads.

-There are 21 different army cards used in multiple armies and 16 different species used multiple times.

-5 armies used 6 army cards (which is the most)

-Fewest number of figures in an army: 6
Old December 18th, 2014, 03:55 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

Last Day to Get your army in. I plan on posting armies tomorrow morning around 9am central. We currently have 26 armies in. Here is the breakdown of usage by species:

A = number of different armies that contain that species
C = number of different army cards for that species in all of the armies

Some of the interesting data buried in that

5 armies used with 5 different Undead.

I also laughed to see 7 armies using a Kyrie, but it's only 1 army card. Turkey bacon?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion