Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old March 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Diet for Cutting: Advice?

As many of you know, I'm a sixteen year old who has been working out for the past two and a half years. I'm about 5'11 inches tall and 195 lbs. Recently (two weeks ago to be exact), I finally bench pressed 300 lbs.

Now all that there is left to do is to start getting shredded.

I'm not exactly fat (my bodyfat percentage is probably between 12-15%, I don't really have a way to accurately measure it due to the amount of muscle.) However, I'd still like to cut that in order to get a six pack/more defined muscles.

So I was wondering if there was anyone on this site that would be willing to assist me in a diet plan. I guess I could go to a bodybuilding site or something like that, but I don't really feel like registering for an entire forum just to ask a single question.

My current goal is to drop body fat while maintaining the same amount of muscle (I'm not too concerned with ADDING muscle right now, I'm strong enough as is.) I do small amounts of cardio and lift weights on alternating days, with a rest day at the end of the week. Here is an example of my current meal plan:

Meal 1

2 1/4 cups Special K Protein Plus Cereal
1 Cup 2% Milk
1 Slice Wheat Toast
2 Tbsp Organic Peanut Butter
Multivitamin

Meal 2

5 oz Tuna
1 cup Lettuce
1/2 Grapefruit

Meal 3*

2 Whole Eggs
6 Egg Whites
3 Cups Fresh Spinach
1 Orange

Meal 4

8 oz Grilled Chicken Breast
1 Green Bell Pepper

Meal 5

1 Cup Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1 Serving Peanuts

(*On days that I lift weights, this would be 2 scoops whey protein powder, as it would be immediately following a workout.)

Totals to about 1760 calories, 143 carbs, 58 g fat, and 203 g protein.

Any assistance or comments on this would be great. And before anyone mentions it, I refuse to go on a ketosis/atkins diet.

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old March 17th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Diet for Cutting: Advice?

Velenne might step in at some point and prove me wrong, but I really don't think we're the best people to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; March 17th, 2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: My completely un-knowledgable advice? More cardio.
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

p90x. I do a bunch of workout routines from them and other Beachbody stuff my dad is affiliated with. To get better abs I'm starting running and going out for cross country in the fall, and finally I can get outside now that winter's done.

Chinups/Pullups get you ripped. How many can you do? It tests your fitness and athleticism.

I'm joining the Bartendaz (well, getting their workout DVD) to get better "on the bar", I can do some of their crazy moves.

check them out: www.youtube.com

I do more natural things that makes you ripped and fit more than 'big': Push ups, chinups, dips, abs, cardio, running, dumbbells. I'm not good at benching and machinery, but that's just me.
Old March 17th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

It's actually repetitions that will get you ripped. Lots of low weight repetitions (thus why push-up, chin-ups, etc. are beneficial).
Old March 17th, 2010, 04:11 PM

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
It's actually repetitions that will get you ripped. Lots of low weight repetitions (thus why push-up, chin-ups, etc. are beneficial).
I do combinations. For bench press I typically went high weight, low rep, but I don't do that as much anymore. I'll also do a weight, sometimes just the bar, 100 times straight on occasion. But based on what you said, I'll make sure to add more high rep stuff to my regime.

As for pullups/chinups, they are one of the core components of my workout. I do them in all varieties: underhand, overhand, wide grip, behind the head, and weighted. My personal record for underhand unweighted is 17 straight, an 1 RM is 115 weighted. I'll also do a hand peg board.

What I really need is a good lower abs exercise, one that works around the naval and lower.

Thanks for the advice so far, guys.

-scorp

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Do your cardio first thing in the morning. Only drink water before, about a liter. To shred, you have to burn. You can also cut your calories a bit while you are in a shredding phase. But only for about 14 days max. Then back to your normal diet.

Alternating bulking/cutting should be on a 14 days schedule. Bulk for 14 days with high calories - heavy weights/low reps. Then cut for 14 days with low calories - low weights/high reps and tons of cardio. Try that for a couple of months. 14 days seems to be the magic number when your body will start to store your extra calories from the bulking phase as fat, so you stop there and then cut for 14. Repeat.

You seem to have a good handle on your caloric intake and workout regime so as long as you are smart about it, you should be able to come up with something that works for you.
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
Do your cardio first thing in the morning. Only drink water before, about a liter. To shred, you have to burn. You can also cut your calories a bit while you are in a shredding phase. But only for about 14 days max. Then back to your normal diet.

Alternating bulking/cutting should be on a 14 days schedule. Bulk for 14 days with high calories - heavy weights/low reps. Then cut for 14 days with low calories - low weights/high reps and tons of cardio. Try that for a couple of months. 14 days seems to be the magic number when your body will start to store your extra calories from the bulking phase as fat, so you stop there and then cut for 14. Repeat.

You seem to have a good handle on your caloric intake and workout regime so as long as you are smart about it, you should be able to come up with something that works for you.
Good advice, but...doing cardio first thing in the morning is going to be an issue with my age. I have school in the morning, so unless if I wake up at like 5:20 or something, its going to be veeery difficult to do it at that time.

But you're right: For maximum results, I've gotta burn the calories off through cardio. Would you recommend short, high intensity workouts or long workouts? I used to do long workouts all the time, but from what I've read those have the potential to burn muscle off. So I was thinking hammering my body for about 25 minutes and then stop?

-scorp

Old March 17th, 2010, 05:50 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

One of the CrossFit routines I do each week is almost all core.

7 rounds with Pyramid Style reps:

21, 15, 12, 9, 12, 15, 21

The exercises are (all in a row, no rest between):

Knees to Elbows (hang off pull-up bar in harness and raise knees to elbows)
Leg Lifts
Flutter Kicks
Scissor Kicks

Then a .25 MI run on the treadmill

--

In case that isn't clear:

21 knees to elbows
21 leg lifts
21 flutter kicks
21 scissor kicks
.25 MI run on treadmill

15 knees to elbows
15 leg lifts
15 flutter kicks
15 scissor kicks
.25 MI run on treadmill

...and so on through all seven sets.

Run a timer while you do it so that each time you have something to push you a little harder (to beat your best time).

-insert signature here-
Old March 17th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
One of the CrossFit routines I do each week is almost all core.

7 rounds with Pyramid Style reps:

21, 15, 12, 9, 12, 15, 21

The exercises are (all in a row, no rest between):

Knees to Elbows (hang off pull-up bar in harness and raise knees to elbows)
Leg Lifts
Flutter Kicks
Scissor Kicks

Then a .25 MI run on the treadmill

--

In case that isn't clear:

21 knees to elbows
21 leg lifts
21 flutter kicks
21 scissor kicks
.25 MI run on treadmill

15 knees to elbows
15 leg lifts
15 flutter kicks
15 scissor kicks
.25 MI run on treadmill

...and so on through all seven sets.

Run a timer while you do it so that each time you have something to push you a little harder (to beat your best time).
This sounds awesome. I don't have a treadmill, but I do have an eliptical. I'm assuming that would work?

-scorp

Old March 17th, 2010, 10:58 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

If you are looking to just cut body fat you need to do cardio. Ultimately it has to do with the amount of calories out (exercise + basal metabolic rate) vs calories in. That is the biggest single component. If you want to burn fat, you have to burn more calories.

The easiest way to burn more calories is with cardiovascular exercise. The lower the intensity the longer you can exercise AND the more your body will use fat to fuel the exercise. If you have an exercise bike, go at a slower pace. A brisk walk would work as well. The elliptical would work, but really dial down the intensity. Do cardio on 5 days of the week, and shoot for more than a half hour.

As far as diet, the meal plan you posted doesn't look too bad. You might want to move to skim milk. I think that 50% or so of calories in 2% milk come from fat. If you have to, switch to 1% and then skim. I would also suggest maybe changing from tuna to salmon a couple times a week. It still has the protein, but it gives you some essential fatty acids as well. You might want to double check the bread you are using. Is it wheat bread or is it whole wheat bread. If it has enriched flour on the ingredients list, it is just white bread with color added. You also might want to look at more high fiber complex carbohydrates.
Old March 17th, 2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
If you are looking to just cut body fat you need to do cardio. Ultimately it has to do with the amount of calories out (exercise + basal metabolic rate) vs calories in. That is the biggest single component. If you want to burn fat, you have to burn more calories.

The easiest way to burn more calories is with cardiovascular exercise. The lower the intensity the longer you can exercise AND the more your body will use fat to fuel the exercise. If you have an exercise bike, go at a slower pace. A brisk walk would work as well. The elliptical would work, but really dial down the intensity. Do cardio on 5 days of the week, and shoot for more than a half hour.

As far as diet, the meal plan you posted doesn't look too bad. You might want to move to skim milk. I think that 50% or so of calories in 2% milk come from fat. If you have to, switch to 1% and then skim. I would also suggest maybe changing from tuna to salmon a couple times a week. It still has the protein, but it gives you some essential fatty acids as well. You might want to double check the bread you are using. Is it wheat bread or is it whole wheat bread. If it has enriched flour on the ingredients list, it is just white bread with color added. You also might want to look at more high fiber complex carbohydrates.
Alright, I was afraid that if I did too much cardio it would just burn hard-earned muscle tissue (A few months ago I would routinely do 40+ minute 800 calorie workouts.)

As far as the switches are concerned, if I can, I won't have any trouble switching to skim milk. Taste really doesn't matter any more, and after consuming why protein as many times as I have, nothing really seems to bother me.

I would eat salmon, but this is also out of my parent's paycheck, so I try to keep the cost of my food relatively cheap (I think that the complete lack of restaraunt/fast food on my part would constitute the balance of having to buy grilled chicken and tuna for me.)

And yeah...my whole weat bread has enriched flour. I need to make that switch as well. Thanks for pointing that out.

As far as complex carbs go, I eat whole wheat bagels and black beans, but I was afraid that more than a few complex carbs might inhibit my efforts to melt fat away. I suppose that some oatmeal and a few yams wouldn't hurt?

This is great advice.

-scorp

Old March 18th, 2010, 10:39 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpiusx View Post
This sounds awesome. I don't have a treadmill, but I do have an eliptical. I'm assuming that would work?

-scorp
Yep, you can pretty much do anything cardio related in between, treadmill, elliptical, bike...

I have a couple others you might be interested in, I'll post them when I get a chance. It's all stuff my trainer used to put me through (back when I could afford it), now I just do it all on my own.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General