Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old May 6th, 2016, 11:28 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Free 3D print templates! (Need printer)

Not sure where else to put this, but for anyone with access to a 3D printer, pretty cool news for proxies or for custom 'Scape!

https://3dprint.com/115440/3d-printed-dandd-monsters/

This guy made models of over 200 different D&D creatures/characters, and released the print files for free. Glancing through them, most seem to be great quality. Though obviously they'd be unpainted.
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:39 AM

Teazia knows what's in an order marker Teazia knows what's in an order marker
Re: Free 3D print templates! (Need printer)

It'd be cool if the set could be broken down with an eye for HS proxies!
Old May 6th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teazia View Post
It'd be cool if the set could be broken down with an eye for HS proxies!
This is the link in shapeways: D&D Models

You'll need to make an account to download, but this is just an incredible resource!

It's the whole Monster Manual plus NPC characters, so there's a lot of good stuff and a lot of proxy stuff.
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:46 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Dropbox of all D&D 3D models
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:17 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Considering material cost and all, how cost effective is it to print your own figures and terrain? I am just curious as I have NO experience with 3D printers.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; May 7th, 2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old May 7th, 2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Considering material cost and all, how cost effective is it to print you own figures and terrain? I am just curious as I have NO experience with 3D printers.
Filament for a human-sized figure costs $.25 to $.50 each. There's a cost for wear and tear to the machine, but I'm not sure how to estimate that. When I print for others, I usually charge about $.50/hour for machine time--but I know Shapeways charges a LOT more than that.

As for drawbacks:
1) Unless you have a good printer with water-soluble support material, you'll need to print in pieces and glue together or add support material that needs to be cleaned away after printing (and can get difficult to remove sometimes without damaging the part).

2) Shapeways has high fidelity printers, so they get good details on the figures, but most home 3D printers (less than $1000) have average quality--so you'll lose detail on faces. And the figures will have rough surfaces (unless you use ABS and have an acetone vapor bath setup). Also, tolerances are not perfect, so the hexes I make are a little loose (on purpose) to prevent lots of sanding to make them fit.

3) They are unpainted, so you'll need to paint them.
Old May 8th, 2016, 02:29 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

Not the best photo as it doesn't do justice to the mini. This was printed with a Witbox 2 (1700€), 0.02mm layers, 5h 30min for a 45mm high mini.

This is the best I can get from my printer. The figure is really good and high detailed, which is not easy to find among free models.

However this has it's drawbacks. The light marks you see, specially on the left of the yeti, are from removing the support material. As White Knight said, it can be troublesome.

Old May 8th, 2016, 02:54 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks for appeasing my curiosity. It is so cool that this sort of thing can be done in our own homes. I’s all quite fascinating to me but I don’t think that I’ll be investing in a 3D printer any time soon.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MementoMori View Post
Not the best photo as it doesn't do justice to the mini. This was printed with a Witbox 2 (1700€), 0.02mm layers, 5h 30min for a 45mm high mini.

This is the best I can get from my printer. The figure is really good and high detailed, which is not easy to find among free models.

However this has it's drawbacks. The light marks you see, specially on the left of the yeti, are from removing the support material. As White Knight said, it can be troublesome.

That's quite some detail--much better than mine! But I guess the trade-off is more printing time. My printer would probably finish that figure in an hour.
Old May 8th, 2016, 05:16 PM

MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby! MementoMori rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
That's quite some detail--much better than mine! But I guess the trade-off is more printing time. My printer would probably finish that figure in an hour.
I have some factory presets from which I can choose. 0.3mm, 0.1mm, 0.02mm. This is what Cura (the slicer) says, although actual times vary a bit.

At 0.3mm - 23min
At 0.1mm - 1h 8min
At 0.02mm - 5h 21min

I don't need to say that I rarely print at such a high resolution. It takes a lot of time and few models deserve such a detail.
Old October 15th, 2016, 12:05 PM

Smurf_Scape is surprisingly tart

@MementoMori do you think you could print your Yeti figure or another at all three settings and post a couple pictures to compare them. Interested to see at least how your printer does with detail at the various Levels. Would appreciate it mate.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to make a thread with pictures of all the different models with pictures and specific links to said models? Kind of like a gallery. I guess shapeways does have that down, but when trying to navigate infant ever seem to find a specific mini.
Old October 15th, 2016, 01:49 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Filament for a human-sized figure costs $.25 to $.50 each. There's a cost for wear and tear to the machine, but I'm not sure how to estimate that. When I print for others, I usually charge about $.50/hour for machine time--but I know Shapeways charges a LOT more than that.
3D Print HQ has a page on the cost of running a desktop 3D printer; there are other consumable costs -- painter's tape or glue stick for bed prep, lube for the printer, etc. -- which are generally minimal, but the biggest component of the cost is the depreciation on the printer. As the article describes, most financial institutions use a five-year depreciation for equipment, so if you figure how many hours per day you run your printer, then the purchase price of the printer divided by the aggregate use hours over five years will give you a cost per hour for printer depreciation, which in the calculation in the article worked out to about a third of the overall cost.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion