Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

View Poll Results: Which squad smashed the competition (choose 3)?
San Francisco Giants 3 12.50%
Ogre Clubbers 0 0%
Ogre Brutes 3 12.50%
Mountain Gaints 8 33.33%
Hill Giants 8 33.33%
Hill Goliaths of Goldcrest 5 20.83%
Hill Giant Brute Squad 3 12.50%
Grimm Giants 2 8.33%
Giants of Eberron 10 41.67%
Giants of Barrenspur 13 54.17%
Giant Gruts 0 0%
Fi, Fo, and Fum 5 20.83%
Dead Mountain Ogres 4 16.67%
Blackened Teeth 2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 8th, 2018, 08:46 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Autumn Custom Competition Poll - Vote by October 8

I think there's a rule that you have to vote if you enter, just for future reference.
Old October 8th, 2018, 08:57 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

First, since I forgot, congrats @Arch-vile !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
my favorite power-based resolution is @NecroBlade 's Numb and Dumb. Thematic, connected to the mini, and mechanically novel & effective.
Hey thanks! I'll admit, it took me several re-writes until I was happy with the implications and limitations of the power as you see it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Fi, Fo, and Fum
Naming each member of the squad is a neat touch, but it leads to some confusing wording problems in the powers. For example, I believe that Slow & Steady says that each figure in the squad may use it once per turn, but then Dumb & Numb only works once per turn for the entire squad. The entire card would probably be more immediately readable with a simpler name.
Nope. There's a couple eaches in there. I'm open to suggestions, of course (which, you're probably right, would include not giving them individual names, but I wanted the giants to have giant personality).

Now for the commentary...

San Francisco Giants: Amusing, and I appreciate the effort that went into this unique card. Honestly just not what I'm looking for in one of these custom competitions, though. Besides that, their powers just don't quite work for me. With Pinch Hitter, chances are whatever attack they're replacing was going to be 3 dice anyway. There are corner cases where it can help, sure (range figure's turn trying to attack an engaged Krav [but if the Krav let itself get engaged, it deserves to die ]), but it's highly situational. Home Run probably needs to specify all giants, your giants, or just the San Francisco kind.

Ogre Clubbers: The silly pun theme did even less for me here than above. I'm not a huge fan of the overkill powers like Mob Attack brings to units that already have high attack (5). Club Sandwich I honestly just don't understand what the theme is supposed to be, and generally I avoid "start zone" powers since they can vary very wildly from map to map. Late Clubbing is far, far too strong on a Common Squad with 5 attack at 100 points.

Ogre Brutes: Bigger Than You has a great theme, but is honestly probably a little too strong since most figures will be affected by it. Throw in Giant Bonding and their offense is off the charts for 100 points. Giant's Fortitude is somewhat expected, but much better here than Tough, since they'd fall too fast as a Unique Squad. Overall, this entry has promise as a real unit with a couple tweaks (I'd start by lowering their attack and BTY by 1 each, and raising the points a hair and seeing what happens). @Heroscaper 101 , I've seen several good ideas on your customs and would really love to see you refine some of them into finalized, fully playable units.

Mountain Giants: A couple good powers here, but only 3 attack sunk them for me. On the bright side Knockback will trigger more often, but it doesn't feel very giant-y.

Hill Giants: Love the theme of Slow Swings. With that power and their stats, the HG are off to a great start. Clumsy Attack[ers] isn't bad, but could possibly be abused by going after one target when what you really want free damage on the figure next to it. 5 attack does make them pretty likely to connect, though. I'd also drop the last 3 letters. Overall, pretty solid.

Hill Giants of Goldcrest: Deadly Strike with 3 attack worries me a little, but these guys pay for it at 160 points. Giant Resilience sounds like it only works once, not once for each giant, but given their 5 defense this is probably fine. Some balance between offense and defense, relatively simple powers, and an appropriately high point cost got my vote.

Hill Giant Brute Squad: Rampage is fun, but 7 Defense and Counter Strike against most things is a no-go for me (and thematically not a great fit, either, IMO).

Grimm Giants: Brute Squad is pretty strong, but there aren't really that many figures that help them out. I'd like to see it at +2 max, which would also mean they reach maximum potential on their own. Kill Streak is a neat power, as is Size Matters.

Giants of Eberron: I understand Deadweight/Deadlaunch, but it feels like too much effort for theme to me. Range is also listed before Attack on Special Attacks, officially. 2 Defense and Tough isn't enough to keep a Unique Squad going very long. For me, these just need a whole new set of powers.

Giant Gruts: Points for doing something unique. We really don't need another Orc Champion Bonding Common Squad, though. Swinging Mace I'm pretty sure should be Club, and I don't think it needs the "on a space where it could ends its movement" language, unless it's meant to be that the Grut is on such a space, not the maced figure. Not bad, per se, I'd just like them better as Giants.

Fi, Fo, and Fum: I wrote the design notes, so enough said.

Dead Mountain Ogres: Mountain Strength might make them a tad too strong for 80 points. It's terrain dependent, sure, but 5/3/5/5 is crazy stats for a Common Squad. Dwarf Toss is thematically amusing, but I absolutely don't think it should have unlimited uses. Make it once per Giant per turn and we'll talk.

Blackened Teeth: Stren'th from Flesh is interesting, but you gotta kill something first. And Really Dat Tuff and 0 defense just aren't going to get them there. This will be a dead 80 points far too often. Oh, and I really dislike the power names.

And, of course, the winners, Giants of Barrenspur: At first, they were too simple. But then in their simplicity they didn't fall into any of the traps many other units did. They're probably a little cheaper than the should be, but I wasn't holding a slight miss on points against anyone too hard. Not much else to say other than it's a very solid blend of stats and a single power. Honestly, everyone should try designing single-power cards. They really test your mettle as a designer, and you'd be surprised what cool, fun, and thematic things you can make with the right stats to back it up!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:15 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Hill Goliaths of Goldcrest
I really like Giant Resilience. Giants should be tough, and squads only have one life, and this is probably my favorite work around for that. Unfortunately, these guys are a little too tough (as far as I can see). 5 defense is really hard for some armies to get through, and having to do that twice per turn could prove unachievable. Deadly Strike is neat on these guys, and I like that they have one power to make their attacks feel giant and one power to make them as tough as giants should be.
Overall, I think these guys are close to being what they should be but I'm worried that they are a bit too tough.
Giant Resilience is strong, but these guys are 160 points. It is correct that you need to deal wounds in multiple ways to beat these guys, so you do need somebody that can attack twice, or a squad, or something. Perhaps you're right that it's a bit too strong.

Quote:
Hill Goliaths of Goldcrest
Giant Resilience feels off to me. At first I was wondering why it wasn't simply an automatic shield, and then I realized that it only works once per turn. Why does one giant being resilient suddenly make the other giants less resilient? I know that adding more limitation/clarifications would complicate the power, but I think that it could use some refinement.
Yeah, the theme isn't 100% perfect, but neither is the Mezzo's Exo markers. I think this is even a bit more justifiable than that: if one of your buddies gets conked, you might get distracted and a bit more vulnerable for a short period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Hill Giants of Goldcrest: Double skulls on 3 attack dice makes them appropriately deadly and able to easily squash low defense common squad figures like goblins, while higher defense figures and heroes could survive a few 1 or 2 skull attacks. Giant Resilience is a good way to give a Unique Squad a little more survive-ability. 5 base defense is pretty solid on it's own, with that power protecting them from one defensive whiff per round. That seems thematically appropriate for Giants and mechanically means you can put OM1 & 2 on a full squad with confidence that they wouldn't get wiped out before you can activate them.
It's once per turn, which is much stronger (perhaps I wouldn't have gotten your vote if you had read it right). It's also worth noting that this basically gives one of them per turn a free disengage, engagement strike, or similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Hill Giants of Goldcrest: Deadly Strike with 3 attack worries me a little, but these guys pay for it at 160 points. Giant Resilience sounds like it only works once, not once for each giant, but given their 5 defense this is probably fine. Some balance between offense and defense, relatively simple powers, and an appropriately high point cost got my vote.
I think Giants should hit hard, so that's where I started. 3 attack with Deadly Strike seems appropriately swingy: this way they hit for 0 or 2 skulls half the time (blockable by even most squad figures), but the other half is basically insta-kills on the same squaddies. With 6 attack, 3 skulls becomes the most likely outcome, which again is basically an insta-kill on a squad figure. I totally agree with you about simplicity. My goal was to make the card as simple as possible, and I ended up having the shortest card other than the winning one.

If I had to do this again, I'd probably rework Giant Resilience to something like "Once per turn, if a Hill Goliath of Goldcrest would receive wounds, ignore up to 2 of those wounds." That makes them killable by anything that can manage 3 attack dice, but still gives about the same utility in most situations.
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:27 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Congratulations, @Arch-vile ! Your custom easily won my vote with its focus on simplicity and effective use of stats.

Other highlights to me were the Hill Goliaths of Goldcrest and Giants of Eberron, each of which won me over with their straightforward design and theme, respectively.

I can see the reasoning that 3 attack turned some people off of the Mountain Giants, but I really wanted to make them stand out for being beefy instead of excelling at both. 4 defense with an automatic shield seemed strong enough that I wasn't comfortable with also giving them a good attack, especially since they have potentially fantastic board control with multiple uses of Knockback in a single turn. I also threw in Zogross synergy when I couldn't think of a more fitting class for them and ran with it, playing even more into their role as bulky defenders.

Quote:
Quote:
Fi, Fo, and Fum
Naming each member of the squad is a neat touch, but it leads to some confusing wording problems in the powers. For example, I believe that Slow & Steady says that each figure in the squad may use it once per turn, but then Dumb & Numb only works once per turn for the entire squad. The entire card would probably be more immediately readable with a simpler name.
Nope. There's a couple eaches in there. I'm open to suggestions, of course (which, you're probably right, would include not giving them individual names, but I wanted the giants to have giant personality).
I could've sworn that that extra "each" wasn't in there. I must've misread it; my apologies.
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:54 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

As usual, my entry gets no respect . . .

I actually really liked some aspects of your card. There were so many great cards this go around. I cant believe I missed voting on these. There were so many cards that had at least one over the top ability that was great. Awesome set of customs everyone. I will have to say, the winners card had a simple, usuable, and thematic ability keeping it sweet and simple. Congrats @Arch-vile

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old October 8th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Hill Giants
Slow Swings is a super cool power. I just don't think Clumsy Attackers delivers the theme very well. It ends up being a benefit a fair amount of the time, as long as you don't set yourself up for the negative effects.
Quote:
Hill Giants
Another simple entry, like the Mountain Giants. Unlike the Mountain Giants, is everything else. These guys are really heavy hitters for a common squad, but Slow Swings keeps them in check, quite a bit. Clumsy Attackers is, like froggy said, gonna be beneficial most of the time. I would probably recommend requiring at least 1 skull to be rolled with the attack or something. The class and personality choice here is worth noting, I think, as it makes these guys as synergy-less as possible.
Overall, I really like these guys, but that's probably because they remind me of my custom Gnuk the Smasher (who can be found in my customs thread, but I just realized the card itself was lost when SumoPaint decided to dump my images).
Quote:
Hill Giants
It's interesting how many people made a 100-point squad. There's nothing wrong with it of course, I just find the coincidence to be amusing. As for this unit, Slow Swings 6 is a thematic interpretation, but I feel like it'd also slow down the game to have to roll before every attack. I'd personally prefer to see a reuse of Pel the Hill Giant's Heavy Axe: it conveys the same theme, but is much simpler and easier to deal with.

Clumsy Attackers is interesting, but I think that it might be even better if you could choose the attacking Hill Giant. It reminds me of the Ogre Pulverizer giving opponents engagement strike, but only slightly less harsh and able to be spun off into a positive power for the Hill Giant with careful positioning.
Quote:
Hill Giants: Love the theme of Slow Swings. With that power and their stats, the HG are off to a great start. Clumsy Attack[ers] isn't bad, but could possibly be abused by going after one target when what you really want free damage on the figure next to it. 5 attack does make them pretty likely to connect, though. I'd also drop the last 3 letters. Overall, pretty solid.
Thanks for the thoughts, guys!

My main point of inspiration was actually the trolls from the Hobbit, despite the fact that I stuck with calling them giants (mostly, anyway - I slipped up and referred to them as trolls once in the bio).

I wanted a dynamic where they were strong, but slow, and could be made to work against each other - the interplay between Slow Swings and Clumsy Attackers is meant to capture that.

There is definitely some weirdness in the fact that Clumsy Attackers has a few exploits, and it could often be a positive - though I think it would be kind of tricky for double-spaced melee ground-pounders to work around. And you could do something a little leaner to capture the theme of Slow Swings. If I took a second pass at the card, those are the things I'd be looking at tweaking.

BUT, the basic shape of the card got me really excited when it first occurred to me, and I wrote it up as quickly as I could articulate the mechanics in my head. No second pass taken. I'm still pretty unused to working outside the C3G arena, so I was happy to see them do as well as they did here.

My votes here were for:

a) The San Francisco Giants. Really funny take. I don't think this is the card here that I'd most want to print off and play, but it is the one I most enjoyed reading, and that counts for something.
b) Mountain Giants. Knockback is a long power, but fairly simple in practice, I think, and it's the only involved thing on the card. I'm a sucker for figure-movement powers like this, so I'd be curious to see these guys on the battlefield.
c) Giants of Barrenspur. Already said as much, but the lean and clean approach combined with the solid lore hook won me over here.

Big thanks to Doc Goomonkey for running these competitions, and thanks to everyone who submitted, for the reading material!
Old November 22nd, 2018, 10:30 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Any idea when the next of these might be, @Dr.Goomonkey ?

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old November 22nd, 2018, 03:35 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Ooh, I had been doing them and the equinoxes/sulstices (equini/sulsti?), but I should probably set this one off by a couple weeks considering the holidays. I'll probably set it up for early December and extend the submissions and voting phases by a week or so.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old November 22nd, 2018, 04:48 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
Ooh, I had been doing them and the equinoxes/sulstices (equini/sulsti?), but I should probably set this one off by a couple weeks considering the holidays. I'll probably set it up for early December and extend the submissions and voting phases by a week or so.
That's a wonderful way to do it, actually. But yeah, probably not the best plan for December.
(It's solstices, by the way ).

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 3rd, 2018, 08:33 AM
Hard as ice

Waiting with bated breath!

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 28th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Hard as ice

Any word on when the next of these might be, chap? I'd hate to see them die.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old December 29th, 2018, 01:44 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Any word on when the next of these might be, chap? I'd hate to see them die.
I would give you an answer, but it would become redundant very shortly.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards