Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old January 5th, 2007, 12:00 AM

xyzchyx has disabled reputation
Character pronunciation guide?

Is there a pronunciation guide for the names of characters anywhere?
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Nothing official of which I am aware. Though I've been informed that rhyming Charos name with that of a certain celebrity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1fCREPBmtw might get you in trouble with some people (ninthdoc, I'm looking at you!)

~Aldin

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:10 AM

whitefish has disabled reputation
I was thinking this same thing today, I might wip one up... but It will have to be a group descison on some of the names

The MIGHTY Cheatriots have FALLEN! Thank you Eli!
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:35 AM

auralerogeny is surprisingly tart
Yeah, I was thinking about that also when I heard truth bring it up in one of the audio interviews...he said something that I was like "HEY! You don't pronounce it like THAT!" Then I thought, wait, what if I'm pronouncing it wrong?!

I say Uhl-are, not Oolar. (are as in "We are")

Uht-gar, not Ootgar.

Eye-nar, not Ee-nar.

Joe-ton, not how a member of my playgroup said: Jottin, as in "we went Joggin the other day." Yeah, Jottin'

Click to see more...
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Gr-ut (rhymes with mutt)
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I'm my own grandpa

Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby! Dennys rolls all skulls baby!
Actually it's Jow-ton if I recall correctly

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment
Old January 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, too.

Shouldn't it be:

Ut-gar (Pronounced like put)

Ul-lar (Pronounced like pool)

Jan-dar (Yan-dar)

Ei-nar (Eye-nar)

Vy-dar (The most obvious)

These pronunciations seem most likely to me since the names are drawn from Norse mythology.

That would mean Jotun would be pronounced Yo-tun since his name comes from Jotunheim, the land of the frost giants in Norse mythology. (Incidentally...the name of the stronghold in Jotunheim is Utgard).

Food for thought.

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:10 AM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
Watch the online videos on the official site for the pronunciation of some names, including Utgar.
Old January 5th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Re: Character pronunciation guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzchyx
It is a good question, xyzchyx. There have been a few discussions, but no guide. Here's one earlier thread:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=1202
Old January 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM

SilverBlade has disabled reputation
pronunciation

OK this completely derails my whole pronunciation regime. It took years to train myself to stress the last syllable of Krav Maga

The Code:

Let the strong protect the weak.
Let the weak revere the strong.
In all things uphold honor, charity, and justice.
And may fear have no place in the hearts of men.
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Character pronunciation guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzchyx
It is a good question, xyzchyx. There have been a few discussions, but no guide. Here's one earlier thread:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=1202
Yes, it is indeed a good question. (I have never thought to say Yan-dar)

Perhaps we need a pronunciation guide for your name xyzchyx as well! How ironic.
Old January 5th, 2007, 11:36 AM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Ray-LEEN! Ray-LEEN!

It bugs me to no end that people say RAY-lin. Makes her sound like some kind of man-woman.

And even if we get a pronunciation guide, I'm never changing how I say things--too deeply embedded! Still, it's a good idea for new players.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion