Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old July 15th, 2010, 10:35 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
New Guy's Soldiers, HELP WANTED!!

OK, I am probably gonna hate myself in the morning for this but, I need help making an easy to use but effective army for a new player. The map will be randomly made and points are likely gonna be at the 400 or 500 point mark. I have lots of single commons too which makes a huge 4th Mass army unusable. I also have a wide variety of figures(but again in singles). What do you guys say?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:43 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: New Guy's Soldiers, HELP WANTED!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
OK, I am probably gonna hate myself in the morning for this but, I need help making an easy to use but effective army for a new player. The map will be randomly made and points are likely gonna be at the 400 or 500 point mark. I have lots of single commons too which makes a huge 4th Mass army unusable. I also have a wide variety of figures(but again in singles). What do you guys say?
There are a couple of threads on "Teaching Armies" which might help but....your best bet is to make him an army with figs from the Master Sets...

Raelin (ROTV) 80
Krav Maga 100
Stingers x2 120

are a good start....
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:53 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks Onacara, that one should be a good base. Any more suggestions?

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:56 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Thanks Onacara, that one should be a good base. Any more suggestions?
Give him Q9 and Isamu..or Q10 and Tarn
Old July 15th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Use a simple army that runs on its own like-

80 Raelin
180 Krav
320 Sonlen
420 Wyvern
500 Kumiko or something else

Pretty easy to play, with only 5 people OM's shouldn't be that hard.
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:04 PM
I could go

So far these are some good suggestions. I can't remember the last time when I cracked open my box and pulled out Sonlen to be used.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thorgrim-80
Finn-160
Eldgrim-190
Krav Maga-290
x3 Knights of Weston-500 (Proxy!)

With this army, he will see the cool things that bonding can do. He will run the Knights up with the various Champions who will end up dying. Take those spirits, which if he wants to put them on another Viking, caution him against the move, and put them on the Krav. You will have 7 Move, 7 Range, 4 Attack, 4 Defense Krav. Nasty Nasty.....

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:14 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post
Thorgrim-80
Finn-160
Eldgrim-190
Krav Maga-290
x3 Knights of Weston-500 (Proxy!)

With this army, he will see the cool things that bonding can do. He will run the Knights up with the various Champions who will end up dying. Take those spirits, which if he wants to put them on another Viking, caution him against the move, and put them on the Krav. You will have 7 Move, 7 Range, 4 Attack, 4 Defense Krav. Nasty Nasty.....
New guys dont want to proxy...well mainly they shouldnt proxybecuase it will confuse them more.
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:29 PM
I could go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post

New guys dont want to proxy...well mainly they shouldnt proxybecuase it will confuse them more.
My thoughts exactly, but I was lucky to get a second squad of knights. I'll just replace the third squad with...I don't know, the Drow maybe? One common squad isn't good, but the drow should do the trick. Now to find them.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old July 15th, 2010, 11:41 PM

wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker wbdhoc knows what's in an order marker

Sonlen did recieve a Codex award in a fairly competitive year and for good cause. In newbie drafts, Sonlen provides ample contingency - auto-wound, healing, range. Plus, as far as "gateway drug" sessions go, he is quite the showboat.

Big Dragon, Little Dragon:

Sonlen - 160
Othkurik - 140
Stingersx2 - 120
Bacon - 80

... And what newbie doesn't love fielding a dragon? "Out of the gate," newbie will probably wanna show the opponent his "O" face, balancing OM on Raelin for maximum min-maxing. Sonlen will bring a "hump game" heal to either Othkurik or Raelin (depending on how soon one wishes to break out the marro) and Stingers clean up from a respectable endgame vantage.

Dragon, Drops and Denial - Oh My!

Sonlen - 160
Stingersx2 - 120
AE - 110
Syvarris - 100

Archer and Archmage truly are a winning pair of range pains. Place the third OM ever so gently on Sonlen for the first several rounds to protect your long arm's glass jaw. When the drop happens, discourage the grenade and then smile when newbie can't resist the temptation ("ah to be a young player again"). Once again, Stingers should buzz kill any melee cleaners with denial (remember to stop for teachable moments) or general range mayhem.

Below is a link of newbie versus veteran drafts though with a smaller collection most of the suggestions (including yours truly) will fall on deaf blisters.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=25829

In case these drafts don't appeal, the insertion of Marvel units could also prove formidable. I've seen many a newbie wipe tables with veterans with either of the following drafts:

One S.H.I.E.L.D. to Rule Them All:

Iron Man - 240
Sonlen - 160
KMA - 100

Sometimes newbie gets confused with more than three Army Cards. This "point and shoot" affair should strategize itself so long as Sonlen stays back for clutch heals on Tony (four life is always only one whiff away). KMA often prove the best "lead" but the benefit of the draft is even when (not if) a newbie overspreads the OM, there's enough range to circumnavigate ill-thought tactics.

Smash and Spawn:

Hulk - 370
Bacon - 80
Marro Warriors - 50

Hulk and Raelin will likely take point to "jump right in" to squad swarms and start taking just enough heat to whollop cheerleaders in a single OM. Newbies tend to charge into a fight without fully digesting possible contingenice and this draft embraces that impulse nearly as much as a gladiator army with a Glyph of Dagmar in its side pocket (codpiece?). Marro warriors stand in back and deliver endgame range menace or simply re-spawn for attrition.

BANJO WILL GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO MONEY. MONEY CAN'T GET YOU THROUGH THE TIMES WITH NO BANJO.
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:16 PM

FieldMarshal Woo who?

I agree with everyone else...starting off with units from the Starter sets always seems to be a good option with beginners, such as Q10, the Krav, Sonlen, Drake Alexander etc. They seem to be solid, well rounded units that don't recquire too much intimate knowledge of the rules and game to use effectively.
Old July 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Try getting a small group of your units (25-35) and using only those units as a draft pool. Don't include anything extremely cheap (25 or lower) or extremely expensive (190 and higher).

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion