Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old August 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Piawak has disabled reputation
How much do the glyphs affect your choices?

As the title asks, how much do the available glyphs for a map and/or tournament affect your choice of figures to play with?

The friends that I usually play with tend to have games without any glyphs as we feel that they are mostly overpowered. I feel that this makes some units less desirable than they would be with glyphs, such as the rats and sentinels. I have noticed that we pick units that have special attacks more often than the lists of competitive armies here suggests others do. Has anyone run a tournament without any glyphs that can comment?
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:54 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: How much do the glyphs affect your choices?

I have played in both and really like both. Glyph tournaments will always see more of certain units (ie "glyph grabbers") like Deathreavers for obvious reasons. I think tournaments without glyphs usually provide more variety in unit selection.
Old August 12th, 2008, 01:50 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I've never played in a tournament without glyphs, but I have found that it's not a good idea to build an army that heavily relies upon certain glyphs to be effective. That's one of the hidden strengths of the Vydar Ranged army; it really doesn't need glyph support to be dominant. While the value of Deathreavers and similar units would decrease in a no-glyph environment, I think they'd still be worth it.

I like glyphs because they can add points of interest and contention to a map if placed carefully, but I've also lost and won games where it seems like an attack or defense glyph is almost entirely to blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 12th, 2008, 02:44 AM

Piawak has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I've never played in a tournament without glyphs, but I have found that it's not a good idea to build an army that heavily relies upon certain glyphs to be effective. That's one of the hidden strengths of the Vydar Ranged army; it really doesn't need glyph support to be dominant. While the value of Deathreavers and similar units would decrease in a no-glyph environment, I think they'd still be worth it.

I like glyphs because they can add points of interest and contention to a map if placed carefully, but I've also lost and won games where it seems like an attack or defense glyph is almost entirely to blame.
That's similar to the way my friends and I felt. When we first started playing and used glyphs a lot it seemed that the person who got the +1 attack glyph usually won.
Old August 12th, 2008, 09:12 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness

We used Glyphs when we first started playing and found that they weren't really for us. In my experience they can turn the game into a take and hold and either slow it down or just completely unbalance the play. I like my Scape raw.
Old August 12th, 2008, 11:40 AM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!

Glyphs have a very large affect on my army choice second only to the maps the army will fight on.

Nilrend/Summoning glyphs means my army is very unlikely to have any unique units in it.

Attack/Common attack means my army is very likely to based on units that get 4+ normal attacks per turn or units that have special defensive bonuses (Krav/Ashra Warriors) or units that have no defense anyway.

If someone lost their mind and included Thorian in a tournament my army would be based on figures with strong special attacks such as Nilfheim or Q10.
Old August 12th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

The way me and my scaper friends up here play is simple: when play testing a brand new army build for competitive reasons (or just because we want to see if it works) glyphs are removed from a tournament board.

Now when we play smaller games (1v1 or 2v2) we put 2-4 glyphs on the table to help prevent turtling simply because the game would take too long. When we play our huge games (6 -8 people) we load the map with almost every glyph we own (except for Thorian and Range) to help speed the game up and incentive to move.

As for glyphs in tournaments, glyphs are placed in a strategically horrible spot (usually edges and very low) making one or both players have to really want the glyphs to even think about going after them. I've been in several tournament style games where the glyphs were on the board but never used by either player.

I agree that glyphs could unbalance a game, but isn't that their point? The player who takes the time and effort to control and use a glyph is like a person who takes the time and effort to develop some kind of new weapon in a real war. Its just another way to gain a strategic advantage.
Old August 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM

Rifier_Ace is surprisingly tart

When I play with my friends we do a combination. It really has to do with the map we are playing on and what mood we are in for that Scape day. For tournaments that we occasionally do we always use BoV maps with glyphs on them but when we are not doing tournaments it is a mixture. We probably use glyphs 30-35% of the time and no glyphs 65-70% of the time.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion