Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old November 19th, 2014, 04:42 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
I'm not really gamer myself and will definitely admit that Heroscape is by far the game of choice whenever I get a chance to play anything. I'm really more of a card player who will dabble in poker, black jack, pinnacle or hearts (its been a while) and sometimes play games with my extended family such as The Great Dahlmuti or Sequence.

As for Board Games, a year or two ago Santa picked up Scotland Yard since it was a great game I enjoyed a few times in my youth. Other than that, a rare silly game of Hulk Smash or Loopin Louie gets played around here.

Recently though, I was lucky enough to find a base set of Dice Masters Avengers vs X-men. We've only played two games thus far and it is fun in the fact that it is superhero themed with very little set up. I don't know yet if it is going to get traction because my kids seem more interested in the collectible aspect rather than playing and I don't want to get suckered into useless expenses.

My question however, is with regard to a few other games I decided to "request" from Santa for this year. If I know him as well as I think I do, he'll be bringing the boys Marvel Legendary and King of Tokyo. He is not planning on bringing any of the expansions for either at this time because I'd like to see if either takes hold.

So knowing that we are not real gamers, but absolutely love some Heroscape and all things superheroes... do you think Santa is going to be thanked for those two choices or do you think I have two future dust collectors in shiny wrapping paper? I know they are rated very well but so are games like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Cataan and I don't see any of us actually choosing to play one of those games.
Santa will be thanked. KoT will probably be the bigger hit though & is probably worth getting the Power Up expansion in short order after Christmas as provides evolution abilities that make each monster different & can add to the decisions of the rolls. Legendary is a great game but I struggle to get my kids to want to play it. Set-up is a bit tedious (but I have gotten that down now) as is packing up (make sure when you KO cards you put them in card piles - this saves a lot of time in packing up & setting up next time). But the biggest thing about Legendary (as I believe I said before in this thread) is that the theme doesn't quite fit the gameplay. The premise is fine but it doesn't really match the mechanics of the game, but that is not to say the mechanics aren't good. The mechanics are great & it is a great game.
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:57 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:
I'm not really gamer myself and will definitely admit that Heroscape is by far the game of choice whenever I get a chance to play anything. I'm really more of a card player who will dabble in poker, black jack, pinnacle or hearts (its been a while) and sometimes play games with my extended family such as The Great Dahlmuti or Sequence.

As for Board Games, a year or two ago Santa picked up Scotland Yard since it was a great game I enjoyed a few times in my youth. Other than that, a rare silly game of Hulk Smash or Loopin Louie gets played around here.

Recently though, I was lucky enough to find a base set of Dice Masters Avengers vs X-men. We've only played two games thus far and it is fun in the fact that it is superhero themed with very little set up. I don't know yet if it is going to get traction because my kids seem more interested in the collectible aspect rather than playing and I don't want to get suckered into useless expenses.

My question however, is with regard to a few other games I decided to "request" from Santa for this year. If I know him as well as I think I do, he'll be bringing the boys Marvel Legendary and King of Tokyo. He is not planning on bringing any of the expansions for either at this time because I'd like to see if either takes hold.

So knowing that we are not real gamers, but absolutely love some Heroscape and all things superheroes... do you think Santa is going to be thanked for those two choices or do you think I have two future dust collectors in shiny wrapping paper? I know they are rated very well but so are games like Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Cataan and I don't see any of us actually choosing to play one of those games.
Santa will be thanked. KoT will probably be the bigger hit though & is probably worth getting the Power Up expansion in short order after Christmas as provides evolution abilities that make each monster different & can add to the decisions of the rolls. Legendary is a great game but I struggle to get my kids to want to play it. Set-up is a bit tedious (but I have gotten that down now) as is packing up (make sure when you KO cards you put them in card piles - this saves a lot of time in packing up & setting up next time). But the biggest thing about Legendary (as I believe I said before in this thread) is that the theme doesn't quite fit the gameplay. The premise is fine but it doesn't really match the mechanics of the game, but that is not to say the mechanics aren't good. The mechanics are great & it is a great game.
I feel the same way. The game is great and fun, but it doesn't make you feel like you are a superhero fighting the badguys. It feels to me more like you are a SHIELD higher-up pulling the strings of the heroes to fight the badguys. Which is fine and fun also, but not quite as cool as feeling like you're a hero fighting the badguy.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Pretty soon I'm going to need to box up my games ... 30 days until my move! Any suggestions for securing boxes for the movers?
I've never used movers, but my games always seem to do best in the move when I've Tetris'd them snuggly into boxes. I usually end up using larger boxes because of the few really big game box games I've got (original Descent for e.g.).

But packing it all so that the boxes they're in are practically bricks with how solid they are has kept my stuff fairly safe through multiple moves.
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I will say this about KoT; if they like the game just on its own, they will really like it with the Power Ups Expansion.
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

You guys are all awesome. Thanks for all of the input on Marvel Legendary and King of Tokyo. I've been thinking about the Power Up for KoT as it really looks like it adds a lot to the game but part of me thinks it might be fun to enjoy the base game for what it is and then just as they get bored, surprise them with a purchase of the Power Up.

As for Legendary I am afraid of the missing superhero fight "feel" to it but I think they will be OK with it. the set up scares me a bit too so thanks for the advice on that.

Has anyone played Justice League Axis of Villains? That's a game I got them last year for Hannukah (yes, they are spoiled and get to celebrate both holidays) and they've enjoyed it a few times. It's a simple cooperative game with dice and cards that the boys like a lot. Unfortunately, thanks to video games, they don't ask me to play often but the few times I suggested it, they seemed to be all in. Maybe I'll break that one out this weekend now that the cold air has pulled in.
Old November 20th, 2014, 04:57 AM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

If you are after a superhero game that really captures the feel of being a hero, you can't go wrong with Sentinels of the Multiverse. You play as a unique hero wit a unique deck of cards and fight against a super villain and his minions. The game can feel a bit fiddly and book keepy from time to time and it doesn't have big name heroes, but those are minor as the artwork is great (kind of an old school comic feel), and the heroes are all so unique and fun to play. It is, in my opinion, the best superhero card game available.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old November 20th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
If you are after a superhero game that really captures the feel of being a hero, you can't go wrong with Sentinels of the Multiverse. You play as a unique hero wit a unique deck of cards and fight against a super villain and his minions. The game can feel a bit fiddly and book keepy from time to time and it doesn't have big name heroes, but those are minor as the artwork is great (kind of an old school comic feel), and the heroes are all so unique and fun to play. It is, in my opinion, the best superhero card game available.
Yeah, I agree. Sentinels of the Multiverse is much better of giving you the feeling of playing as a superhero than Legendary.

While it's certainly better than Legendary in those regards, it's more fiddly too with the tokens and keeping track of the order of play with player turns, bad guy, location etc. But once you get used to it, it's easy. Certainly worth it to get the cool superhero feel.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 20th, 2014, 07:23 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidysox View Post
Yeah, I agree. Sentinels of the Multiverse is much better of giving you the feeling of playing as a superhero than Legendary.

While it's certainly better than Legendary in those regards, it's more fiddly too with the tokens and keeping track of the order of play with player turns, bad guy, location etc. But once you get used to it, it's easy. Certainly worth it to get the cool superhero feel.
While I agree SotM does a better job of making you feel your are playing as the superhero, for whatever reason, it doesn't resonate with me or my son. I think I miss the connection to superheroes I know from my childhood. I wish they would create a Marvel or DC licensed version, because there just aren't enough.

Played some Star Realms last night with LoB. We have started using higher Authority levels to begin the game because we games were starting to go to quickly based on early card draw luck factor. We have found it is easier to overcome early Blob or Freighter draws, if you have a little more time to react. This has given us the chance to change strategies mid game and still pull out a victory.

Opened up one of the Shadows of Brimstone core sets that came yesterday. I can't wait to start playing it. LoB wasn't much for it when the Kickstarter was running, but now that he has seen it, I think he's in too.
Old November 20th, 2014, 08:28 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Sentinels of the Multiverse. . . it's more fiddly
For Matt Helm's purposes, it really sounds to me like he made the right choice with Legendary over SotM. He's playing with his kids and the most important priority for him is capturing and then holding their interest. That's consistent with G-O's post, too.

My sense from watching Tabletop is that Wil Wheaton's gaming tastes are (generalizations incoming) similar to the Colby / Vasel type theme-y games, moreso than the Rahdo type heavier Euro games, so I'm interested in his opinion. Here's what he had to say a couple days ago about Legendary: "'Legendary is the best deck building game I've ever played,' Wheaton says. 'And I'm astonished by that. I could not believe that a licensed game was as good as it is, but it's phenomenal.'" That's high praise, regardless of whether you personally would agree about "best ever."

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 20th, 2014, 08:29 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Sentinels of the Multiverse does look cool, but at the same time it's not really a deck builder, is it? Since all the decks are pre-defined?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 20th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

If you're asking me, I have no idea. Don't own either one. But others, above, were comparing the two in response to MH's question. If it's like Yomi with pre-defined decks, that is not a deckbuilder.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 20th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
Sentinels of the Multiverse does look cool, but at the same time it's not really a deck builder, is it? Since all the decks are pre-defined?
You are correct; it is not a deck builder. It is, however, cool.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games