Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old May 19th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhydderch
Glad to hear you have a smoke object already. I suppose you might have an issue with glyph missions since a grenade thrown on one could prevent units from holding the glyph. Maybe you should change it so that the grenade cannot be thrown onto a glyph to prevent abuses of the ability for games that require each player to land on an enemy glyph or other such goal.

One alternative would be to make the player roll a 20 sided die at the start or end of every round. If they roll over 12 (or whatever number you choose) the smoke screen stays. If not all three are removed. That would replicate the randomness of the wind blowing away the smoke.
You can only throw the grenade on an "empty" space, so no tossing on glyphs is allowed as written (or at least that was the intent).

Right now the way it is written, they only throw one grenade, but I may make it 3. That may not be clear in the wording. I did not know if so many LOS blocking objects appearing would be problematic.

I thought about making the smoke vanish after a certain number of rounds or rolling, as you suggested, after 12 rounds or something. These are all possible. These guys definitely need some playtests to work these things out.

I saw your thread and was the first one to reply. Strange, because by this time of day I'm usually far from the PC. I'm glad I caught your post early.
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Master Custom Creator

Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker Annerios knows what's in an order marker
Here are some shots of the 3-D representation of the smoke grenade.

Notice the height and how it can be placed to block LOS.

These markers can be painted to represent different things:

Poison Gas, magic portals, flames, smoke, tear gas etc. A lot of possibilities. . .
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Rhydderch has disabled reputation
LoL! Thats a *very* creative use of pillow stuffing. I never would have thought of that. I don't see a base. Do they actually stand on their own or are the bases hidden by the plumage of smoke?

As for the number of grenades I think one is enough, at least as long as the Familiars are a common squad. I think three grenades per squad would be painful if a player drafted 3 squads of these guys and placed all 3 turn markers on them first round. With 9 smoke screens they could potentially lock down a linear path. For instance a figure with 4 move might not be able to cross a bridge at all if it was filled with smoke since they would have to end their move on the bridge.

Still the figures with flying, stealth leap, carry and summon might counter that problem. I guess you would just have to try it out. Mostly I just think the ability to permanently change the landscape needs to be balanced since there are certain scenarios (not all but some) which could become highly unbalanced.

The sight blocking itself creates less of a balance problem since a hand or foot will inevitably stick out on some figures and in HS that's all you need =P I did have one question: if you can see a part of a figure through the wisps of the smoke (pillow stuff) does that count as line of sight? I would guess the smoke acts like any other obstacle in HS so that you would be able to attack that figure through the smoke but let me know if you had intended otherwise.

Finally not sure how much you try to copy the official wording on HS cards but you might want to add the "(or cards if your opponent has more than one common card for that figure)" text from Dund since a player could have more than one card for a common hero.

Anyway thanks for posting the smoke screen pictures. I got a bit of a laugh since they're pillow stuffing as well as a bit of a awe - since its pillow stuffing =P

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Terry Pratchett, Discworld
Old May 20th, 2006, 10:13 PM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker
Wow, those clouds are straight genius. Good work.

And Annerios - incredible work man. Love the GI Joe guys as well, can't wait to see the unveilings.

I love being a nerd LOL.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Master Custom Creator

Quote:
LoL! Thats a *very* creative use of pillow stuffing. I never would have thought of that. I don't see a base. Do they actually stand on their own or are the bases hidden by the plumage of smoke?
They could stand on their own, but I used some white glue to attach the pillow stuffing to a Heroclix base. That allows it to remain lightweight and yet not able to fly off the table. I concealed the base with the stuffing and it if sticks out, I just paint the base to hide it.

Quote:
As for the number of grenades I think one is enough, at least as long as the Familiars are a common squad. I think three grenades per squad would be painful if a player drafted 3 squads of these guys and placed all 3 turn markers on them first round. With 9 smoke screens they could potentially lock down a linear path. For instance a figure with 4 move might not be able to cross a bridge at all if it was filled with smoke since they would have to end their move on the bridge.

Still the figures with flying, stealth leap, carry and summon might counter that problem. I guess you would just have to try it out. Mostly I just think the ability to permanently change the landscape needs to be balanced since there are certain scenarios (not all but some) which could become highly unbalanced.

The sight blocking itself creates less of a balance problem since a hand or foot will inevitably stick out on some figures and in HS that's all you need =P I did have one question: if you can see a part of a figure through the wisps of the smoke (pillow stuff) does that count as line of sight? I would guess the smoke acts like any other obstacle in HS so that you would be able to attack that figure through the smoke but let me know if you had intended otherwise.
They are common and what you mention is the exactly the kind of unbalancing I was afraid of. It is unlikely that I would field more than 2 squads of these guys, but even 6 markers could be troublesome.

From a visual standpoint only one of the figures actually has the grenade in his hand, so I made it 1 to kind of account for that feature of the physical figures. These guys did not bring enough supplies when they got summoned

The pillow stuffing is more dense than cotton, so you can't see through it unless you stretch it to make it so you can peek through. It is more likely that due to its amorphous shape you will be able to see an occasional hand or foot sticking out more than with the hard plastic trees.

Quote:
Finally not sure how much you try to copy the official wording on HS cards but you might want to add the "(or cards if your opponent has more than one common card for that figure)" text from Dund since a player could have more than one card for a common hero.
Thanks. Good point. I do try to stick close to the official wording. I think I missed that because originally I only made the power affect "unique" heroes. Then I thought, why limit it? Maybe that sticking point was in the back of my head the whole time.

Quote:
Anyway thanks for posting the smoke screen pictures. I got a bit of a laugh since they're pillow stuffing as well as a bit of a awe - since its pillow stuffing =P
Yes, it is kind of ridiculous, but it works.

Cotton and pillow stuffing has been used for a long time by historical gamers to simulate smoke, etc. I always found that interesting and went on a bit of a quest to make fire markers some years ago to place them on cars, tanks and other vehicles to indicate that they had been taken out during battle. The pieces worked quite well, so I kept them for HS.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Master Custom Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikkRikk
Wow, those clouds are straight genius. Good work.

And Annerios - incredible work man. Love the GI Joe guys as well, can't wait to see the unveilings.

I love being a nerd LOL.
Thank you.

It is good to see some new blood hanging around these parts.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:53 PM
Master Custom Creator

Quote:
I decided to scale it back to unique heroes. It just does not make sense that one common hero gets hit by a stun baton and another one across the board loses the turn too. This makes this guy a little weaker too, which is fine.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:12 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Annerios is their a figure that goes with Roland of Gilead

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Master Custom Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Templar
Annerios is their a figure that goes with Roland of Gilead
We have been using stand in HS cowboys, but I am working on a mod of one.
I've just been indecisive with what I want to do with him.

I kind of go with the flow with my figure creation and if my mind is not into it at the moment I wait until inspiration hits. I'll get a photo of the figure up when I get him done.

The next figure I'm going to finish is Violet from the movie Ultraviolet.
She is proving to be a bit of a pain to do, but coming out ok.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
I look forward to seeing your Violet. I'm just gonna wait for Horrorclix and mod one of those...

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:07 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annerios
Is it different from the Ultraviolet card I already saved from your previous thread, I think?
And what mini are you using? The Horrorclix one?
Whatever you do, I give a big for the attempt.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Master Custom Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reapersaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annerios
Is it different from the Ultraviolet card I already saved from your previous thread, I think?
And what mini are you using? The Horrorclix one?
Whatever you do, I give a big for the attempt.
The card is Doc_Savage's work. My wife liked the card too, so I decided to mod a figure for it.

The figure mod is a bit of a "Frankenstein" creation from various figure's bits and pieces. If it comes out decent enough, I'll probably enter it in Cupidart's contest.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards