Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old June 8th, 2014, 09:39 PM

Blatimus knows what's in an order marker Blatimus knows what's in an order marker
Gandalf, Strider, Legolas, & Gimli

Today I thought it would be fun to take my favorite four LOTRs heroes against hoards of Orcs.

Last week I made up some cards for my new figures and my son and I faced off in my level FATE'S CHASM. At the end of the game Gimli ended up surrounded by HORNED SKULL BRUTES and BLADE GRUTS.

Gimli Surrounded
Spoiler Alert!

So the results got me to pondering how indeed the heroes could survive. So the next battle was all me strategizing if it could be done.

The cards I made up can be found in my customs along with an explanation giving proper credit to the brilliant designers behind them.

Here are that stats I used on my cards:
Spoiler Alert!

GANDALF, STRIDER, LEGOLAS, and GIMLI take on FATE’s CHASM

The basic idea behind FATE’s CHASM is that you take a group of heroes from one castle door across a short distance to the other castle door, which you break down and escape. You are pitted against some evil fate; in this instance it was two squads of HORNED SKULL BRUTES with endless GRUTS in reserve. FATE's CHASM is the level I made for my Tiamat Encounter and you can see pictures of it there.

Round 1
(Gandalf’s Istari Guidance would be great to move heroes quickly through the level at the cost of slowing Gandalf down. And it is a bit tricky going through a doorway because of the use of adjacent spaces.) The heroes won the initiative and Gimli led the way. Gandalf went through the door with Legolas in tow. Gimli was soon met by the Brutes which inflicted 1 wound. Strider came to the rescue of Gimli with Ranger Of The North. The Brutes turned to Legolas inflicting one wound.

Round 2
(Free of the door Gandalf could do his thing with Istari Guidance moving the heroes along and freeing them from engagement along the way.) The heroes won the initiative again and quickly made tracks. The Brutes bore down on Gandalf who stopped short of the door giving it 1 damage. Gandalf took 5 wounds from the merciless pursuit of the Brutes. Strider took advantage of his Dunedain Traking against the Brutes and slipped around. Strider rescued Gandalf on his next turn with Ranger Of The North. Again the Brutes turned to Legolas inflicting 2 wounds.

Round 3
(Gandalf didn’t look so good so the best bet was to get Gimli to the door to chop it down and go through to win the game.) The Brutes won the initiative but they still couldn’t touch Gandalf because of Ranger Of The North. This stopped the Brutes and Gandalf was able to make one more attack against the door inflicting 1 damage. The Brutes finished off Gandalf. Strider took out a Brute. The Brutes inflicted 3 wounds on Strider and destroyed Legolas. At the last moment Gimli destroyed a Brute.

Round 4.
(With Gandalf and Legolas gone it was up to Gimli to take out the door.) Luckily they won the initiative and Gimli was able to get to the door after clearing the Brute on his last turn, but Gimli took 1 leaving engagement attack as collateral to stepping up to the door. The Brutes destroy Strider and inflict 1 wound on Gimli. Gimli has no luck with the door, but isn’t further harmed by the Brutes.

Round 5
(Gimli has just to break open the door and run to freedom.) The Brutes win initiative, yet Gimli proves that he is Tough. Gimli does 4 damage, then 1 damage to the door. The Brutes manage to wound Gimli again. Gimli breaks down the door, but dies from leaving engagement when he runs through the door.

Conclusion:
That was a pretty fun game and it really gave me a good feel how the team of heroes can really work together. It really seemed to fit the theme of the characters, except I didn't get to use Legolas much because he was mainly in tow. Another strategy I might have tried would be to have them all hold off an attack at the starting fortress using Gandalf and Legolas to pick off approaching forces with ranged attack. But that game would have taken much longer. Once they broke through the door Gimli could have probably fended them off single handedly through the narrow opening. Real strategy sure doesn't seem to serve up an epic ending like in the movies.

Gimli's Last Stand
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Blatimus; June 9th, 2014 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Gimli's Last Stand
Old June 9th, 2014, 01:17 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth
Re: Gandalf, Strider, Legolas, & Gimli

FYI, a character without any visible Hit Zones can still be engaged, and engaged figures can still attack each other. Ranger of the North only protects against Ranged attacks. Thanks for sharing the report! I'm glad you liked the HoME cards enough to give them a try.

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old June 9th, 2014, 03:05 PM

Blatimus knows what's in an order marker Blatimus knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
FYI, a character without any visible Hit Zones can still be engaged, and engaged figures can still attack each other. Ranger of the North only protects against Ranged attacks. Thanks for sharing the report! I'm glad you liked the HoME cards enough to give them a try.
Thanks for the clarification. I think it makes sense if you are standing right next to them you could attack anyway, but I'm still not clear on that. If there aren't any visible Hit Zones, how can you target a figure? Do you have an official example? Or is there a precedent I can refer to if I'm playing with someone and they question it?

I love HoME, you guys are awesome!
Old June 9th, 2014, 05:42 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

I think it's in the SoTM rules?
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:15 PM

brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness brandonwiker wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I forget where the rule is, but I thought it goes something like "sight isn't needed to attack an adjacent target," I thought it was in Rotv rulebook...

Bah, when I get home from work maybe I could fly through the rulebooks to try and find it.
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:17 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth capsocrates is a man of the cloth

Unfortunately I don't have a reference off the top of my head. Maybe Pelloth's book

Your custom probably has too much Defense.

--

A Child of the Risen Lord
--
Oklahoma HS Events - Colorado HS Events
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Maps Customs Trades
Old June 9th, 2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshMEL View Post
I think it's in the SoTM rules?
Found it, SoTM Master Game Guide on page 11:
Line of Sight: To attack a targeted figure, your figure must be able to "see" it from its location. Unlike Range, the Line of Sight is an imaginary straight line between your attacking figure's Target Point and the targeted figure's Hit Zone; it has nothing to do with the spaces on the battlefield. If the targeted figure is (for example) behind the Marrow Hive or a cliff, so that your figure can't "see" it, then no attack is possible. The only exception to this rule is if a figure is engaged with or adjacent to another figure. A figure does not need Line of Sight to attack a figure that it is engaged with or adjacent to...
Thanks IshMEL! Always good to know the specifics.
Old June 9th, 2014, 09:19 PM

nyphot knows what's in an order marker nyphot knows what's in an order marker nyphot knows what's in an order marker

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing!

A little bit of a picky point, but my understanding is that "Istari" and "Wizard" are two words for the same thing. I might suggest Species: Maia and Class: Wizard or Istari? Although technically, I think the Maiar gave up that identification when they became wizards... I'm not sure.

Or you could leave it the way you have it. Whatever you like.

I need you to be awesome. Can you be awesome?

Thanks to AmishBurrito for a promo code and Gulp for sending wound markers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports