Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Notices

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:26 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSparkleInYourWater View Post
I'm interested in trying this game out, but want to ask about the reinforcement packs.

I know that you can only have X amount of each card in your army, so all the reinforcement packs do is give you different options for it. This is kind of off putting to me since that's more money. The game can really pile up with it's cost without the addition of the reinforcements.

What do you guys value the reinforcement decks at gameplay wise? And are there going to be multiple reinforcement packs for each faction or just the one? I don't want to get myself into something that's going to be a big money pit (that is assuming I like it, but I can just see how this could end up badly for my extra cash funds and if that's the case I'd rather avoid it than get hooked).

Thanks.
Summoner Wars, more than other customizable games, really has the advantage of having really decent base set armies. You can easily have tons of fun or even go to a tournament and win with just a base faction (Jexik has done this on multiple occasions). I am also OCD so I must have everything but honestly you could do fine with just the regular stuff. The reinforcements give you more options, but for a lot of the factions the choices aren't much better if at all than what the base sets give you. Guild Dwarves and Cave Goblins for instance are quite fine by themselves.

Right now there is only one reinforcement pack per faction, so it's pretty easy to keep it cheap if you only care about certain factions. You can also do just fine with a single reinforcement pack as well. There is a possibility that you would really want 2 packs worth of a certain common but honestly IMO there is only 1 unit (Thwarters for the Tundra Orcs) that would be worth that, and even then that is highly debatable between other SWers.

Bottom line is that if you want to have a fun, complete game, and possibly even competitive in tourneys if you are into that, then buying just the master set(s) would be fine. Get the reinforcements if you really want to, but try the game out first to see if you see a reason too.
Old November 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Eh, I don't think it's much of a money sink. With the exception of the Master Set (which is a great value anyway), all the releases have been two factions or renforcement packs at a time. At full price of $11ish each or online discounter at $7ish, it's really not that big an investment each time there is a release.

As for the reinforments packs themselves. I have everything to this point, but have yet to bust them out. I'm having too much fun with the base cards for each faction. At some point they'll get used but I think that says a lot about the base armies.

-insert signature here-
Old November 7th, 2011, 09:20 AM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

Remember also that each reinforcement pack provides reinforcements for 2 specific separate factions as well as providing mercenaries that can be used with any faction.

Last edited by Targanth; November 7th, 2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: fixed the wording
Old November 7th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

If you were to pay full retail for each of the base factions so far...

It'd come to:

2x $25 for the two starter sets (PE/TO and GD/CG)
1x $50 for the Master Set
4x 10 for the Faction Decks (FK, VG, CL, JE)

That's 140 bucks.

There are only 4 Reinforcement packs out so far, which would bring it up to 180.

You can multiply that figure by about 70% if you pick it up from online discounters, so about... 130 bucks. Not bad if you ask me.

I wouldn't start with that though. Grab a master set for 35 bucks from some e-tailer (or send $50 Colby's way and grab a promo with it), and see if it's worth your while.

Deck building/army construction is much much less important than in games like Heroscape or Magic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:06 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Although army building is one thing I love about Heroscape and other miniature games, for some reason I am turned off by deck building for Summoner Wars as it seems like more effort than it is worth an honestly a waste of $. This is because, unlike heroscape where I can use each figure in some army, most of the time I would not use 90% of the cars in reinforcement decks or second starter/master sets. I guess it is kinda like if you got Heroscape waves in exact multiples just to get the desired number of the most needed squad, such as getting 5 of each Wave 9 pack just to get 5 of the 10th, you would have 4 of each hero pack and some extra commons you are wasting - similar to getting reinforcement packs.

I bought 1 each of the starter sets, master set, and faction decks, but I bought them all at Origins and Gencon so got a good deal with no shipping and including promos and 100% of the $ went to PlaidHat. I could afford the reinforcements but figured it is not for me and have enough fun with it.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The reinforcements mostly address weaknesses in the original decks, or offer different playstyles, or address weaknesses vs. certain factions.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've skipped on the reinforcements for now as well. The deckbuilding didn't appeal to me either. I figure I will pick them up if I ever get to the point that a specific faction has become boring to me. But until then, there is enough variety in the 14 or so factions out that I don't need them yet.
I also like the ease of just picking up a deck and playing with no army building.
Old November 7th, 2011, 12:57 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
I also like the ease of just picking up a deck and playing with no army building.
I think that's why I've yet to open up mine at this point.

-insert signature here-
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
I've skipped on the reinforcements for now as well. The deckbuilding didn't appeal to me either. I figure I will pick them up if I ever get to the point that a specific faction has become boring to me. But until then, there is enough variety in the 14 or so factions out that I don't need them yet.
We have customized Jungle Elf and Vanguard decks. We just keep them as they are - customized - and grab them instead of the ones that came in the boxes ("Hot Jungle Death!") instead. I'm glad to have put away all but one of the Vanguard archers in favor of the Mounted Knights; who wouldn't want knights on horseback?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Previous Version : lafleurhero

Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness Cyborgs Gaming wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Wow, a lot of conversation since I posted about my sell out yesterday. I ended up selling off my personal Summoner Wars collection because I was out of starter sets at the time and I figured enough of my customers were into it to cover the demo's of it for me. If I could afford to get it again I would most likely just get the master set and nothing else. That still has something like 36 different ways to play (I'm sure someone around here knows the exact number).
Old November 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Master Set Alone: 6*5 = 30 matchups
Master + Starters: 10*9 = 90 matchups
All Factions (no reinforcements): 14*13 = 182 Matchups
All Factions (w/ reinforcements): 14*13*[4-1000]* = 728+ Matchups

*Not sure how to calculate some of the factions having deck combos, but realistically there are probably only 3 or 4 different decks you would want to play. For most people the Master and starter sets are enough.

Heorscape had even more matchups. Lets say (218!)^2, = 2.247 * (10)^833, which is more then Skewes' number.
Old November 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I might be the only person alive that likes the deck building for summoner wars. I think you just have to realize that the reason you do it is a bit different than for other games.

I'm of the opinion that each faction has a certain "feel" to it, and functions best when played with that "feel" in mind. Most, if not all, of the starter decks already do this. So the reason to deck build from there is to enhance that feel if possible, or to just get rid of a crappy unit. For instance, with Guild Dwarves I always nix the Engineers in favor of something else - they're just a bad unit usually. Same with the Deep Dwarves Miners. I don't think either unit works as well with the "feel" of the decks as their other faction counterparts.

Another thing to decide is if you want to go "bland", meaning loading up on 1 or 2 choice commons, or "splashy", meaning playing some of all of them. There's been quite a bit of debate about which is better. I'm usually a bland player because I feel I can plan better for what's coming. However, factions like Cloaks and Fallen Kingdom especially reward splashy styles.

Lastly deck building can allow you to change a faction to fit your playstyle or address a certain weakness. I normally don't like to do thy because j feel like it makes the deck sub-par, because I feel the factions are all better at doing what they were meant to do. For instance, I've tried to play an agressive Vanguard deck with Angela and Cav Knights and such, and just did terrible. It can be done, though.

I could write a while article on this...

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games