Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Old July 25th, 2019, 04:10 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Makwa Bowhunter Public Playtesting

The figure used for this unit is a Scenearama figure from the Native American Hunt Scene Setters set.

(It's the one with the bow and arrow )

NAME = MAKWA BOWHUNTER

GENERAL = AQUILLA

PLANET = EARTH
SPECIES = HUMAN
UNIQUENESS = COMMON HERO
CLASS = TRIBESMAN
PERSONALITY = FEARSOME
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM 5

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 6
RANGE = 6
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 1
POINTS = 25

HUNT OF THE MAKWA
When attacking an opponent's figure, add 1 attack die for each friendly Hunter or Scout adjacent to the defending figure.

SHIELD OF THE GREAT BEAR 11
When a Makwa Bowhunter receives one or more wounds, before removing the figure, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll an 11 or higher, ignore any wounds.

customs/maps/c3v/sov

how to:
make a card/post your maps

google sheets:
ohs link generator/attack outcomes

CVN~ "I highly recommend C3V customs!"
Old August 13th, 2019, 07:43 PM
Online HS Season 11, 13 & 14 Champion

kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun kevindola is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Makwa Bowhunter Public Playtesting

450 Points
Map: Couple of Puddles
Glyphs: Lodin, Dagmar, Wannok

Army 1: Charos, Greenscales x3, Shiori
Army 2: Mohicans x3, Brave Arrow, Rygarn, Interceptor, Bowhunter

Which units survived?
Charos (1 life)
3 Greenscales
Shiori (full)

Mohicans develped very conservatively and got about 6 heightened shots off on Charos and greenscales doing a few wound before the Dragon King arrived and from that point wounds were very hard to put on him, although the scales did start to get thinned out, (but so did the Mohicans)

Rygarn flexed where possible allowing a 2 wound Dive Bomb onto Charos and a Bowhunter to get an attack of 4 for another wound. Brave Arrow got a big 3 wound strike, but the dragon would not be felled as he took out all oncomers.

Rygarn got the big dragon to 1 life, but counterstrike, wannok, and no temporal shifts ended the time traveler.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
-Tribesman got 1 Order Marker (and lost one)
-1 attack had +1 attack to do 1 wound to Charos
-Shield went 3/5

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?
Charos never allowed Mohicans to stay engaged long enough to get the big attack. It also was exacerbated by the Mohicans forgoing attacks on Charos in fear of counterstrike. Shield helped stall some attacks though
Old August 22nd, 2019, 04:41 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Map: Braunglayde Bridge by Flash_19, glyphs of Valda and Wannok

Army 1: Mohican River Tribe x2, Teeth of Makwa x3, Makwa Bowhunter x2, Brave Arrow (450 points)
Army 2: Shaolin Monks x3, Master Win Chiu Woo, Master Lao Xin (450)

Moved the Mohicans out as a strike force so I could move Brave Arrow up and along with him the Makwas. Their initial charge didn't yield much: they took down a couple of monks but the monks podded up on the hill around Wannok and started tearing through the Mohicans as they came. Brave Arrow moved up but went down pretty quick, and then the monks were able to hop over the ruin and start to lay waste on the Makwas that had Hunting Party-ed up onto the road. I moved order markers over to the Makwa Bowhunters in order to continue developing the Makwas while getting some powerful shots off, but it wasn't too effective. The monks were able to just tear thru the hunters and avoid big shots from the bowhunters. At this point the monks started to get stretched out, and Master Xin ended up getting way off where I realized he shouldn't have. Around then I also gave up on the last Bowhunter and started putting order markers on the Teeth of Makwa. The ones that were left started to lay waste to the monks, knocking off Master Xin and then several monks. Eventually the initial advantage that the monks had had at that point came thru and the monks outlasted and took care of the last few Makwas. Master Woo and 2 Shaolin Monks remained.

I put three order markers on the Bowhunters. Their shield was pretty decent, going 2/4 rolls and letting them stick around even when the monks closed in. Every one of their 3 attacks were boosted by Hunt of the Makwa: twice it was a +1 bonus while the last time was a +3 roll on Master Xin that unfortunately was blocked by some lucky defense. They didn't do any damage but were alright for moving the Makwa via Hunting Party. I think the Bowhunters were probably necessary in greater numbers, and required a more developed screen/juicier targets in order to succeed. I would have been better off just putting order markers on the Teeth of Makwa, especially against the monks.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old August 24th, 2019, 02:48 PM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Map: Braunglayde Bridge by Flash_19, glyphs of Wannok and Valda

Army 1: Teeth of Makwa x3, Makwa Bowhunter x3, Sgt. Drake Alexander (395 points)
Army 2: Deathreavers x2, Nottingham Brigand x5, Arthur of Sherwood, Cormin the Dark (400 points)

The Deathreavers moved up both hills, while the Bowhunters did the same, leading the Teeth of Makwa. After the first round I switched order markers over to the Teeth of Makwa, but by then the rats had clogged everything up and grabbed the glyphs. The Brigands and Arthur and Cormin moved up and started knocking out the Teeth. The Bowhunters held up well due to some good Shield rolls, but couldn't contribute much because three attacks was just more effective than one. Eventually the Teeth got through all the rats, and got a couple of Brigands on the way, but by then there were too few of them to put up a fight. Drake went down between Wannok wounds (which I now realize I should have been putting on the Bowhunters cuz they could have ignored the damage and if not they were pretty useless), and also some passing blows from Arthur. The last couple Bowhunters flunked their defense rolls, and all that was left was 3 Brigands, Cormin with 2 life, and full life Arthur.

The Bowhunters were a nice, cheap way to activate hunt of the Makwa early on, but I think I would have rather just had a more useful hero. The Makwa hit pretty hard as it is, so putting an order marker on a Bowhunter to get, maybe a 5/6 attack roll, if you're lucky, is generally just not as good as 3 attacks of 3/4. Setting up a good Hunt of the Makwa is pretty tricky as it is, I couldn't manage to pull one off in this game. Shield of the Great Bear is pretty sweet tho, it went 4/7 with the first 4 rolls all succeeding.

Old September 6th, 2019, 12:12 AM

Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness

From my 2nd round game with Kinseth:

Point Total: 475
Map: Grounds of Ashra
Glyphs: Dagmar and Xipta

Kinseth - Army: Wildwood Monarch, Wildwood Sentinel, Wildwood Runner x5
Toogwick_tuk – Army: Mohican River Tribe x3, Teeth of the Makwa x2, Brave Arrow, Makwa Bowhunter x3

Which units survived? 2 Bowhunter, 3 Teeth of the Makwa, 4 Mohican River Tribe, Full life Brave Arrow

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)
We originally forgot that the Bowhunters couldn’t bond with the Mohicans, but we caught it early on enough to catch it and fix things and keep playing. The bowhunters basically stood back in the start zone the whole time while the rest of the army dealt with the wildwoods. The main reason I did this was because I felt like I needed to get as many attacks in as possible because I didn’t want more Wildwoods to come back. I was pretty lucky and killed both the Sentinel and Monarch in the same turn which sealed the game for me as I was able to clean the woods out the next round.

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Neither of the powers came into play because I didn’t put any Order Marker’s on them.

I find it odd they don’t bond with the Mohicans, but I understand that they were meant to work better with their own tribe. They make sense in a Makwa only build, or just as filler in a Mohican only one. My opinion is that they’d be more fun and interesting if they could bond with the Mohicans, but that would require a price bump and to go backward in the process, I think. It’s a shame the Mohicans don’t get another bonding option with these guys, but a different design can take that place.
Old September 9th, 2019, 02:20 PM

Report from my game yesterday against Dysole.

475 points
Map: Grounds of Ashra
Glyphs: Xipta, Dagmar

Maklar the Silver Prince - Army: Teeth of Makwa x5, Makwa Bowhunter x5
Dysole - Army: Deathreavers x2, 12th Caucasus Rifles x4, Augamo

Which units survived?
6 Deathreavers, 6 Rifles, Augamo with 2 wounds.

I put a couple order markers on the Bowhunters early on to develop the Teeth, then switched over to the Teeth for the rest of the game. Dysole put a rat in all of the bottleneck spots and moved to 12th forward until they controlled the height in the center of the map. I had hoped that the Teeth's high attack would go through the rats quick enough before the 12th put a huge dent in my forces, but that didn't happen, and after a few rounds of grenades and shots I was left with just a few Bowhunters. I was hoping they might run around and get some Shield rolls, but they didn't and they went down fast (although one did get very lucky with a 2 wound shot on Augamo).

I took a total of 7 turns with the Bowhunters: 2 were very much on purpose at the beginning of the game so I could utilize Hunting Party and move a bunch of the teeth. Another time I was forced to move a marker on the Teeth over due to Xipta; being able to move the Teeth with Hunting Party there was nice because it kept that turn from being less of a waste. I pulled off Hunt of the Makwa twice towards the end of the game, each time for a +1 bonus, but each time it was just sort of coincidental. Neither attack yielded any damage. Shield of the Great Bear went 0/5.

The Makwa Bowhunter is pretty tricky to use. A single attack turn is mitigated by their ability to trigger Hunting Party, but still an order marker is generally better off on just the Teeth. I have dreams of using them as a high attack can-opener on a hero surrounded by the Teeth, but a big Hunt of the Makwa can be tough to pull off between moving a bunch of figures around on separate turns as well as the relative non-longevity of the Teeth of Makwa. This army was mostly just outmatched by Rats and Range, although many armies would be too.

Old September 17th, 2019, 12:40 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun Sir Heroscape is a penguin with a machine gun

Sir H VS TAEBLEWALKER
Point Total 475 Point armies
Map: Valledonn Fortress
Glyphs: Valda, Wannock

Sir H Army: Beakface Sneaks x5, Clawfoot Interceptor x2, Quorik Warwitch, Rygarn, Marcu Esenwein
Taeblewalkers’s Army: Mohican River Tribe x3, Makwa Bowhunter x3, Brave Arrow, Raelin (SotM), Marcu Esenwein

Which units survived?
Rygarn (full), Warwitch (full), Intercepter Blue (full), Marcu (full), 1 Sneak
Taeblewalker conceded with Brave Arrow (full), Marcu (full)

Table went out early with Realin to the center while I set up Rygarn and used Sneaks.
Raelin was actually pretty offensively minded and took out a few sneaks and an Intercepter. Meanwhile, I was using sneaks to target Mohicans coming out of the start zone and was able to get some good kills to limit his numbers. By the time he only had about 4 left I then activated Warwitch to start using the special attack to take them out and limiting his attacks. Mohicans were finishing off most of the Sneaks and so I turned to Warwitch to finish them and the Makwa off.

I don't know how often the Bear activated but it protected them a good 3-4 times. Double Attack activated I believe all but 1 time they attacked, and they only got a buffed attack 1 time for a +1 at the very end of the game. I think they killed a good 3-4 sneaks overall, but that was near the end when it was basically just mop-up time.

I'm kinda worried about this design. I was playing AGAINST them this game, and it made me cringe just how useless they seemed to be. I'm not really sure they have a place or a role in much of any army to be honest. Their double attack is better yes, but the OM really just isn't worth what their output is. I really just don't understand the missed opportunity here to add more Tribesman that don't actually have Tribesman synergy. Their abilities would suggest that they would fit right in bonding with the Mohicans because of how they get buffed attacks when scouts are engaged and mohicans just happen to love getting engaged. The tension there is really quite nice because you have to think, do I want a really strong attack from my bowhunter ranging down on the target I've engaged, or do I just want to finish off the target now while I've got the chance. The problem is that there just isn't enough motivation for OM's on these guys because of the extensive setup. Not only do they have to get OM's to get into position, but by the time you want to attack with them, you have to have already developed Mohicans or Makwa enough to get into engagements for them to get the buffed attack. With only 1 current Tribesman option, I think this is an opportunity for the C3V to expand a much needed hole. Honestly, I think the change would be simple: 1) Make them Uncommon and give them 2 life 2) Remove the Double-Attack. Again I really do think this is a missed opportunity not to expand the current Tribesman, and giving them 2 life but Uncommon (to allow them to activate using War Cry), would be sufficient to make them usable. They wouldn't need the double attack to be powerful because the natural synergy would make up for it.

As an opponent against them, I was never worried, afraid or concerned about any OM's on them, and that worries me about the direction of this unit. I'll step down from my soap box now.
Old September 20th, 2019, 02:58 AM

Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness Toogwick_tuk wears ripped pants of awesomeness

From my 3rd round game with Zetsubo:

Point Total: 475
Map: Valledon Fortress
Glyphs: Valda and Wannok
Zetsubo - Snipers and Vipers: Venoc Vipers x3, 53rd North Carolina Sharpshooters x3, Venoc Warlord, Capt. Nathaniel Blount
Toogwick_tuk – Army: Mohican River Tribe x3, Teeth of the Makwa x2, Brave Arrow, Makwa Bowhunter x3

Which units survived? 1 life Brave Arrow, 3 Bowhunters, 4 Teeth of the Makwa, and 3 Mohicans. Zetsubo conceded with a 2 life Venoc Warlord.

It was a bit of back and forth between the mohicans, makwa and the snipers and vipers, but the vipers only got one frenzy and I was able to get rid of them and have continued map control with both of my two squads.

I put one order marker on them, and they put one wound on Capt. Blount adding two to their attack. They were never attacked so their second power didn’t come into play. Just to note it we did not play them with double attack.

I would echo many of the same comment that Sir Heroscape made above. They just don’t seem to be worth the order markers in a Mohican army build and their powers seem to want to have them work with a Mohican build, because I tend to not have Teeth of the Makwa engaged because of their range, so they don’t add to the Bowhunters attack.
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:46 PM

Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Leaf_It is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Map: When Paths Cross

My Army: Mohican River Tribe x3, Makwa Bowhunter x3, Brave Arrow, Raelin (SotM), Marcu Esenwein
Taeblewalker: Marro Drudge x3, Othkurik, Re-Tak-Shi, Iskra Esenwein, Rechets of Bogdan

As per superfrog's directions on page 6 of the tournament, since we had both lost all of our games to this point, the Bowhunters have double attack.

Which unit's survived:
I had: Raelin SotM (3 life), Marcu (full), 6 Mohicans, 1 Bow Hunter.
Taeblewalker conceded with: 3 Drudge, Re-tak-shi (3 life).

I rushed 2 Mohicans turn one to get 2 shots from height onto Othkurik, dealing 2 wounds. Othkurik then rushed in, with Lurking Assault and killed a Bowhunter. Iskra rushed in on TW's 2nd order marker, but didn't engage. I killed Othkurik on turn 3, then put a wound on her. She killed a Mohican to heal back, but failed to summon the retchets that round. Turn 1 of round 2 She flew over to a Bowhunter, and killed it, but now I was able to get some mohicans onto her. Unfortunately she summoned the Retchets. They killed a Mohican, put two wounds onto Raelin, and 1 shot Brave Arrow, which was really big. I then swarmed the Retchets with Mohicans, and killed all but 1 Retchet. At this point I had 2 Mohicans engaged, and I thought they could war cry the Bowhunter. We didn't realize that this couldn't happen, so the last Bowhunter ran onto height, and took 2 shots. The first killed the Retchet, and the second killed Iskra. Then TW pointed out the problem with the Bowhunter. So Iskra, and the last Retchet were alive again. End of that round. I killed them immediately after with Mohicans. The rest of the game was a slow death for TW as I killed Drudge before they could get within range to attack. Re-Tak-Shi had been placed pretty far away from the drudge to facilitate Othkurik's turn 1 Lurking Assault, so they were falling fast, and only rolling 2/2. After killing 2 squads, TW resigned.

Usefulness: The Bowhunters were never technically used, but you can see how effective they would have been. I think that Double Attack is the right idea, but it isn't enough to make the Bowhunter very usable with the Teeth or the Mohicans.

2 possible changes that would make the Bowhunter viable: Give the Bowhunter an ability that adds +2 additional move to Hunting Party so that it's enough to engage the enemy, and/or make the Bowhunter uncommon with 2 life, at like 45 points. I'd love to see the Mohicans get another bonding option, and Brave Arrow already triggers Hunting Party, so it wouldn't be anything new. Without being able to engage the enemy with Hunting Party, the Bowhunter will never be useful with the Makwa. Without being unique/uncommon the Bowhunter will never really be worth using with the Mohicans.

I have concerns with Sheild of the great Bear being an 11 or higher. It just seems really low. I'd feel better if it were even just a 12 or 13. This might just be me, and I've not seen it be game changing, but the Isamu effect is worrying.

I wonder if they're any better with other scouts, like Spiders...
Old October 12th, 2019, 05:21 PM

brak88 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I think they'd be pretty good with spiders since they're cheaper units and are actually meant to engage units and then tie them up with order marker removal.

Also, gladiatrons would be a great unit to use, though blastitrons would be better than bow hunters.

Last edited by brak88; October 13th, 2019 at 09:25 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting