Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old October 16th, 2018, 08:54 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 10/16/18: Demon Samurai]

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
This is a lot better. I'm still skeptical that him also protecting adjacent figures fits the theme as well as it could. But it is a lot better. I'm curious what others think.
I was actually tempted to give Burning Spite a higher roll and make it also ignore wounds, but I felt that this would inhibit the theme. As it stands, he will absolutely let the Samurai die, but if they just so happened to be guarding him (since all other Samurai have higher defensive potential, it makes sense for them to cluster around him), then he might lash out at the attacker to punish them for the inconvenience.

Since the protection that he offers Samurai is only mechanical (encouraging the opponent to target something else for fear of retribution), I think that it fits the whole theme of terror and him also frightening his own allies, who know that he won't save them from death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
About the name, "Tero" isn't really traditional Japanese-y. It's literally "terror" modified to fit in the Japanese alphabet, and the meaning has more to do with modern "terror" (as in terrorism) than what you're going for, I think. If you want the more traditional word, that would be "osore," ”shingai," or "kowa" could work too. And while I'm on the subject, "Akuma" is okay, but with Akumaken in the mix I think it could stand to be a bit more unique (though that may just be me, and I don't even think it's a huge deal, just worth mentioning). Personally, I'd suggest "Masha Shingai" for the name, meaning "evil being" and "terror." Or "Shuten Douji," who is one of the more famous individual oni (if you want to name it after something, though I don't think he would work with samurai), or any mix thereof that makes you happy.
Thanks for the suggestions! I was hoping that someone would have more knowledge of the language than Google Translate (which, hilariously enough, told me that Masha Shingai means Tea Shrine ), and you've given a lot of good suggestions. I do recognize the name Shuten Douji, but a quick skimming of Wikipedia leads me to agree that it doesn't work well with the Samurai theme, so I'll stick to a unique name.

"Akuma" was actually added to strengthen the tie to Akumaken (and because I couldn't find anything better), since Aura of Terror is an extension of the Mask of Terror. I'm fine with dropping it if the thematic connection is apparent enough without it, and I do like the sound of Masha Shingai.
Old October 20th, 2018, 02:21 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 10/16/18: Demon Samurai]

I did a quick playtest with Masha Shingai (Tero Akuma's new name) with Leo earlier today in preparation for National HeroScape Day. He didn't have a great impact due to the untimely appearance of a certain hydra, but it was interesting to see his aura affecting such a powerful figure.
Old October 20th, 2018, 11:11 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 10/20/18: Black Hart Squad]

BLACK HARTS
Dedicated Teammates

A Divided Alliance - Black Harts (1/2)

The figures used are various Black Hart miniatures from the game Battleball. Each box comes with enough figures to make two squads. The Black Harts are single-spaced figures.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • BRUTUS : TEAM LEADER
    As an Athlete Squad that follows Einar, the Black Harts may benefit from Brutus' TEAM LEADER activation synergy.

• LINEBACKER : ATHLETE ENHANCEMENT
    As Athletes, the Black Harts may benefit from a Linebacker's ATHLETE ENHANCEMENT attack and defense bonus.

• COUNT RAYMOND : MANEUVER 9
    As friendly human figures who follow Einar, the Black Harts may benefit from Count Raymond's MANEUVER 9 when they receive one or more wounds from a leaving engagement attack.

• STALWART : PULL TO SAFETY
    As friendly athlete figures, the Black Harts may ignore wounds after a successful roll for Stalwart's PULL TO SAFETY.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • IRON WOLVES : REINFORCE THE LINE
    As athletes, the Black Harts may aid the Iron Wolves after being wounded to trigger REINFORCE THE LINE.

• HATAMOTO TARO : ADJACENT TOUGH 1
    As figures that follows Einar, the Black Harts may aid Hatamoto Taro with his ADJACENT TOUGH 1 defense bonus.
As always, any comments or feedback are appreciated.

Last edited by Astroking112; May 31st, 2020 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Updated links.
Old October 24th, 2018, 02:51 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 10/24/18: Mecha and Pilot]

STALWART
Genius Pilot

A Divided Alliance - Heroes of the Field (1/4)

The figure used is one of the Iron Wolves miniatures from the game Battleball. Stalwart is a single-spaced figure.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

• IRON WOLVES : VYDAR ATHLETE BONDING
    As an athlete who follows Vydar, Stalwart may benefit from the Iron Wolves' VYDAR ATHLETE BONDING activation bonus.

• STALWART THE FORGE : EJECT PILOT
    Stalwart must be placed on the field with Stalwart the Forge's EJECT PILOT ability.

• IRON JUDGE : FIELD PASS
    As a Vydar athlete, Stalwart may move with the Iron Judge's FIELD PASS movement power.

• LINEBACKER : ATHLETE ENHANCEMENT
    As an Athlete, Stalwart may benefit from a Linebacker's ATHLETE ENHANCEMENT attack and defense bonus.

• AGENT SKAHEN : COVER FIRE
    Being a Vydar Tricky figure, Stalwart benefits from Agent Skahen's COVER FIRE power.

• COMMAND COURIER : COMMAND DISPATCH
    As a Medium Vydar Unique Hero, Stalwart may take a turn due to a Command Courier’s COMMAND DISPATCH ability.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • PULL TO SAFETY:
    As friendly athletes, the following figures may ignore wounds after a successful roll for Stalwart's PULL TO SAFETY:
  • STALWART THE FORGE : PILOT
    While Stalwart has not yet been placed on the field, instead of taking a turn with him, you may take a turn with Stalwart the Forge.

• IRON WOLVES : REINFORCE THE LINE
    As an athlete, Stalwart may aid the Iron Wolves after being wounded to trigger REINFORCE THE LINE.

• EBON ARMOR : ANIMATED MATERIEL & ETERNAL WAR
    As a Unique Human, a destroyed Ebon Armor you control may be placed on Stalwart's Army Card to replace Stalwart upon his own destruction.

• OTONASHI: TRICKY SPEED 4
    Since Stalwart has a Tricky personality, if Otonashi starts her turn adjacent to him, she may add 4 to her move.

Last edited by Astroking112; May 31st, 2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Updated links.
Old October 24th, 2018, 03:10 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 10/24/18: Mecha and Pilot]

STALWART THE FORGE
Ultimate Invention

A Divided Alliance - Heroes of the Field (2/4)

The figure used is the Stalwart the Forge miniature from the game Battleball. Stalwart the Forge is a double-spaced figure.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

• STALWART : PILOT
    While Stalwart has not yet been placed on the field, instead of taking a turn with him, you may take a turn with Stalwart the Forge.

• TALINGUL : MASTER OF GREAT CONSTRUCTS
    As a Large Construct Hero, Stalwart the Forge may benefit from Talingul's MASTER OF GREAT CONSTRUCTS by taking a turn along with one other Large/Huge Construct Hero instead of Talingul.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • STALWART : EJECT PILOT
    Stalwart must be placed on the field with Stalwart the Forge's EJECT PILOT ability.

Last edited by Astroking112; May 31st, 2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added Talingul synergy.
Old November 5th, 2018, 08:40 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 11/6/18: Masha Shingai]

After his jaunt through the Pre-SoV Workshop, I've made some substantial changes to Masha Shingai, or the demon Samurai. His figure also just arrived in the mail today, so I figured that now was a good time to seek some feedback on his most recent changes:

Changes:
  • Aura of Terror was changed to Awakened Fear. Now it only functions when there is at least one revealed Order Marker on Masha, which forces players to consistently use him in order to prevent turtling. It also leads to some really interesting tactical decisions on when to activate the aura, since it nerfs nearly all of the Samurai as well.

• Awakened Fear also only affects Squad figures now. This gives opponents more holes to exploit in his aura, and Tomoe Gozen is really the only Samurai who benefits from this change (although she certainly did appreciate it in my games). Kaemon and Hatamoto were much less likely to be affected anyway.

• Burning Spite was changed to False Slumber. Now it only functions when there are no revealed Order Markers on the card, which means that the two powers will never simultaneously be in action. This forces the player to choose between which power is more important in the moment, and since it relies on Order Marker placement, they have to think ahead. Since it is in play less often, the roll has been decreased slightly to 7.

• Since the False Slumber and Awakened Fear combo is significantly worse than Burning Spite and Aura of Terror (which were always in play), his move has been increased to 6 to compensate. This encourages him to be used more aggressively, giving him a longer reach.

• His points were dropped to 85 (from 90). This doesn't have a large effect on army-building, but it makes it a little easier to work Tagawa Samurai Archers or the Ebon Armor into Samurai builds, and the only other 85 point option in the game is the Ice Troll Berserker.

I believe that this version is a lot more dynamic than the previous one, rewarding careful planning and reading your opponent far more than turtling. I've already playtested an interim version of this (updated to Awakened Fear but still using Burning Spite instead of False Slumber), and the Order Marker management really added a lot of interesting tactical weight to using him.

My main concern is in the change to False Slumber, since it could be seen as discouraging the player from taking turns with him to avoid losing both attack dice and the added protection. I'm curious on other people's thoughts on this portion of the design, and if its relation to Awakened Fear alleviates any concerns.

Last edited by Astroking112; November 6th, 2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old November 6th, 2018, 11:21 PM

Since the sculpt is in, I went ahead and took a picture of Masha surrounded by some classic HeroScape figures to give off a sense of the scale. He's noticeably bigger than every medium figure, so Large 6 seems to be spot on for him.

The level of detail is also much higher than I was expecting. The base is a little large for my tastes, but it's only a major problem when going through crevasses or other small spaces. He actually looks like a really solid fit with the rest of the Samurai, much more than online pictures had led me to believe.

I'm hoping to get him submitted to SoV before the mini ceases production, since it's a very high-quality sculpt that is currently available for rather cheap (~$5). As always, any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Old November 6th, 2018, 11:35 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

A look at my more recent custom history shows that I'm a big fan of mutually exclusive powers that involve the player making choices.

Overall, I like the direction you're heading in. I'm not sure this figure crosses over from "Great Custom" into "Great fit for the Canon" but I'm not sure I can put my finger on why just yet.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say, and how you feel about him as you run further playtests with the changes.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 7th, 2018, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
A look at my more recent custom history shows that I'm a big fan of mutually exclusive powers that involve the player making choices.

Overall, I like the direction you're heading in. I'm not sure this figure crosses over from "Great Custom" into "Great fit for the Canon" but I'm not sure I can put my finger on why just yet.

I look forward to seeing what others have to say, and how you feel about him as you run further playtests with the changes.
I've definitely found Aura of Terror's changes to be welcome so far; they really bring a new level of strategy and foresight to the design. That's partially why I like the idea of also making his second power reliant on the markers, and keeping the two powers mutually exclusive keeps him from doing too much at once.

The main thing that I'm hesitant about on changing Burning Spite/False Slumber to only be active before an Order Marker is revealed on Masha is that it might provide too much of an incentive to hold off on taking early turns with him. The extra move helps offset this a bit, but I'm not sure if this change still makes him feel a little bit too defensive. Especially given that Awakened Fear penalizes you as well, I'm curious to see how outside eyes feel about it.
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:41 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

The order marker restriction on Awakened Fear is a good restriction. It does make it tougher to get the aura effect, and leaves open a potential first round of normal attacks.

False Slumber doesn't feel right to me. Not so much the power itself (though a roll of 7 feel unnecessarily low), but the theme you're going for. The whole picture of fake sleeping on the battlefield clashes with the overall theme of a demon with a fear effect. Even if it's just bluffing that's he's flatfooted, it still doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the picture. I'd rather you drop the order marker restriction on it, raise the roll target, and give it a more vicious name.

The stats suggest a lack of restraint. Strong survivability (solid, plus defensive powers), high movement, and an especially high attack, combined with multiple cheerleading effects. That doesn't seem right for 85 points.
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:43 AM

Curry_Noodles knows what's in an order marker Curry_Noodles knows what's in an order marker

I like how thematic his character is - Power but at a cost. Very fighting of his arch-type. One question (and it very well could have been asked in previous replies, I've only skimmed through some previous responses) does his Awakened Fear affect friendly squads as well? I'm guessing yes based on the point value?
Old November 7th, 2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
The order marker restriction on Awakened Fear is a good restriction. It does make it tougher to get the aura effect, and leaves open a potential first round of normal attacks.

False Slumber doesn't feel right to me. Not so much the power itself (though a roll of 7 feel unnecessarily low), but the theme you're going for. The whole picture of fake sleeping on the battlefield clashes with the overall theme of a demon with a fear effect. Even if it's just bluffing that's he's flatfooted, it still doesn't feel like it fits with the rest of the picture. I'd rather you drop the order marker restriction on it, raise the roll target, and give it a more vicious name.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that you feel Awakened Fear's restriction is a good one; it definitely gives the other player more ways to get around the aura.

I think the problem could be the name "False Slumber." I chose it to tie into the theme for Awakened Fear and emphasize the dichotomy of the two powers, but I agree that it leads to an odd image. The theme was that Awakened Fear was representing Masha going off and performing some horrifying acts, but if he hadn't done anything yet, the opponent might get some false confidence against him. Slumber definitely implies physical sleeping more heavily than I intended.

I do agree that 7 feels on the low side. I had dropped it to compensate for the power being significantly weaker, but I don't like how certain it feels. Whether I drop the Order Marker restriction or not, I'll likely raise the roll requirement back to at least 9 (or 11 if it's active at all times again). Do you feel that Burning Spite is a suitably vicious name?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
The stats suggest a lack of restraint. Strong survivability (solid, plus defensive powers), high movement, and an especially high attack, combined with multiple cheerleading effects. That doesn't seem right for 85 points.
His stats and price were based on Crixus. For comparison, he has less survivability (better against squads, but Awakened Fear isn't as good for Masha overall as One Shield Defense), no "true" bonding, and a situationally defensive ranged power that only has a chance to activate when you're losing figures or life. He's essentially the same points as Crixus in most situations, and I've been trying to take care to ensure that he doesn't outclass him. Given that Awakened Fear is easier to hurt yourself than it is to help as well, I don't think the points are far off.

If I do remove the Order Marker restriction on False Slumber, then the roll will increase again and his move will drop back to 5 to compensate. I do believe that that version of him is actually stronger, though I can see why this one might present more concern with the extra move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curry_Noodles View Post
I like how thematic his character is - Power but at a cost. Very fighting of his arch-type. One question (and it very well could have been asked in previous replies, I've only skimmed through some previous responses) does his Awakened Fear affect friendly squads as well? I'm guessing yes based on the point value?
Thanks for checking my thread out! And yes, Awakened Fear will affect all Squads, including your own. Given that he's meant to be played with Samurai, I've found that the negative aspect is necessary to avoid making him too strong.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards