Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old March 1st, 2009, 12:32 AM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker
Arrow Madison WI Spring Fling April 18 - Date Changed!

Ready for the Madison Spring Fling? Sign up now or cry later!

The tournament type will of course again be Swiss. It will be a themed, escalation-draft tournament. In brief--You bring a pool of units. In round one, you will start with a small army and draft one unit from your pool after seeing your opponent's army. Both new units are revealed at the same time and added to your armies. You continue to draft in subsequent games until you have a full army to fight your final battle. The units you are allowed to have in your draft pool and army will have theme, point total, and unit type restrictions. See the rules section below.

Harlax asked about a juniors bracket. We could probably do something like that with as few as four participants. Please let me know ASAP if interested.

Date: Saturday, April 18

Time: Sign-in/setup, 10:00AM (I will be arriving between 10:00 and 11:00). Game time, Noon to 6:00. Everyone is welcome to stay later and play some casual games. Closing time is 8:00PM.

Place: Same as last two tournaments--Misty Mountain Games in on Madison's East side.

Need Directions?

Entry Fee:
$5 or bring a prize for the table. Please let me know ahead of time what you are bringing. Raw value of the prize must be greater or equal to $5. Extra prizes are very welcome!

Prizes:

Participant numbers are very important for prize acquisition! Let me know if you are coming ASAP!!!

While we have done our best previously to have prizes for every participant and refunded the entry fee for non-prize winners, I cannot guarantee that will be the case this time!

Donated--

Marvel Master Set (Kobu donated)
SotM Master Set (Kobu)
Drones & Minions (Kobu)
Minute Men & Wolves (Kobu)
Ticalla Jungle (Krusni)
10 Reg/Wolves of Badru x2 (Queenmojo)
Ashigaru (Queenmojo)
Wargamer HQ Gift Certificate

Purchased Prizes--

Aquilla's Alliance
Road to the Forgotten Forest
Water Lexan Maps x3 by Cavalier
Demon Gate by Leifkicker
Misty Mountain Gift Cards (every $2 from entry fees goes towards this)

Maps (and who is bringing them):

1. Roundabout (Kobu x3)
2. The Star Chamber (Queenmojo x1, Sirpongo x2)
3. Islands in the Sun (Krusni x3, Queenmojo x1)
The Rookery (Krusni x2, Queenmojo x1)

Teleporter Rules!

The Rules for Escalation/Draft:

(Note: If you are lacking figures, PM me and I may be able to help)

Very helpful army builder! http://battleplan.mythacle.com/heroscape/

Excel Player Sheet is here!

You start with a unique hero. This is your Marshal. I'm guessing this format is new to most HS players so I'll keep it simple this time with no special rules for the Marshal (although HS is built perfectly for it...).

You then get a pool of units to draft from. A unit is any one army card, unique or common, hero or squad. Multiple common army cards each count individually as a unit. So, if you have Sir Gilbert and two sets of knights, you have three units.

Units in the pool must--

1. Be of the same Valkyrie General. If your Marshal follows Utgar, every unit in the pool must follow Utgar. The only exception is Aquilla units which can be added to any pool. If you start with an Aquilla Marshal, your pool may have units from ONE other general. e.g. Aquilla + Ullar.

2. Be of the same species, class, personality, or planet as the Marshal. For example, Sonlen can recruit Elves, Archmages, Tricky, and Feylund units. Of course, they must also follow Ullar or Aquilla.

3. But! You do get a Lieutenant that may join your pool. The Lieutenant must be a unique hero that follows the same general, but otherwise does not have to match the Marshal in any way.

4. And! You can place any number of units in your pool that match either the Lieutenant's species, class, personality, or planet. You may though only draft two of these units AND you must draft the Lieutenant before these units. Drafting them in the same match is fine.

5. Not be Marvel figures. Sorry, but they had their turn!

6. Cost in total 1000 points or less, including the Marshal. This means that at least 250 points worth of units will not be drafted if you fill up your pool.

Match 1 starts with your Marshal declared to your opponent. It is not yet placed on the map.

You and your opponent each choose up to two units to add to your army from your pool. The cost of your new units plus your Marshal must be 250 points or less. Each player reveals their draft choice at the same time. Units are placed and play goes as normal.

Consecutive matches work the same way following the match unit and point limit. For matches 2, 3, 5, and 6, the unit limit increase by 1. In match 4, it increases by 2. Remember that your Marshal counts towards the unit limit.

You may choose not to draft. If you choose to skip drafting, you may draft multiple units in later matches as long as you follow the match limit. Units never go back into the pool. Once you choose a unit, it remains in your army.

Code:
Match    Unit Limit    Point Limit

1           3               250
2           4               300
3           5               375
4           7               475
5           8               600
6           9               750

Scoring

Primary scoring method is by win/loss.

Victory Points are the secondary scoring method and used to determine the winner of incomplete games.

Victory Points are calculated thus:

Match Point Limit - Your Destroyed Units + Opponent's Units Destroyed

If all else fails, a d20 rolls will be used to determine the winner.

General Tournament Rules:

1. Good sportsmanship is a requisite. There are times when "you snooze, you lose" is appropriate, but there are many other times when allowing a forgotten die to be added to a roll or a squad figure to be moved is in the best interest of both players to insure a fun and fair game.

If the impossible happens (dead figures attacking, Carr taking leaving engagement attacks), try to undo the mistake as best you can. There are times where it is simply too late to do anything about it, but there are other times when turns can be redone. Try to reach an agreement with your opponent on how best to rectify an issue.

2. Army placement is simultaneous rather than relying on a dice roll. Both players place all their figures in any order they choose. Order marker placement happens after both players are satisfied with their placement. Only roll a die if there is any unresolvable disagreement about placement (both players continue to counter-position). This speeds up set-up and has not caused any problems to date.

3. Use good dice etiquette. Dice towers or boxes are required this time. Dice that fall out, whether onto the table or floor, must be rerolled. Cocked dice must be rerolled UNLESS your opponent agrees that the result is clear.

You must make your roll easily visible to your opponent. There is no reason to pick up your dice before your opponent can observe them. Picking up dice on a favorable roll for you will result in an automatic re-roll.

Your opponent can call for a full re-roll if you roll too many dice. Please allow your opponent to make this call.

Do not roll dice individually, try to flip dice, attempt a straight drop, or do anything else that would get you beaten up in a game of craps. If you need to add dice to a roll already in the box, remove the previous dice first. Your opponent may call for a re-roll if you engage in questionable rolling practices.

4. Rules disputes will generally be handled by arbitration. There will be several rules experts on hand along with rulebooks and the FAQ.

Attendees:
Sirpongo
Queenmojo
Laurel
Roshi
Al'Evadentine
Joah
Mouser
Yodaking
Clarissimus
Steve
Chris
Krusni
Thereon +1

Possibles:
MrBarkypants
Nwojedi
Jormi_Boced
Micre +2
Therion

Last edited by Kobu; April 16th, 2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old March 1st, 2009, 01:34 AM
Has A Ticket To Ride

EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla EternalThanos86 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Madison WI Spring Fling April ?

April 18th is a no go for me, but the other dates would be great. You may want to check with Jexik to see when he is planning the Chicago Team Tournament. I believe he is pondering hosting it the second or third weekend in May.

The draft sounds challenging!

~ET86

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwayman View Post
Classic-Scape is just the Frosting for the Marvel-Scape cake!
Old March 1st, 2009, 12:43 PM

Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker Queenmojo knows what's in an order marker

Any of those days would work for me, the 18th would be best. And like ET86 said, you should check with Jexik about the date for his tournament in Chicago.

And really interesting rules for armies.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM

From the input so far, it seems April 25th would accommodate more people. I'll leave the date open until next Monday, so if you have a preference, let me know by then.

Also, I have created the Madison Area Heroscape League group on Facebook. If you already have an account, please join the group, otherwise you can PM me your e-mail I will send you an invite to the group.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 06:07 PM

teamheights is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I'll get ahold of the other "Team Heights" members to see what date works. We'll try to get back to u asap.

yours truly

T.M.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:18 PM

Sirpongo has disabled reputation

Must.......SCAPE!!!!!!!

Count me in for any of those days. Its been WAY too long since I pulled out my box of dudes.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM

MrBarkypants Woo who?

I can make April 25th.

I'm Mr. Barkypants, and I'm a mix of ol schoo and new schoo....
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM

With two stalwarts able to make the 25th, that will probably be the date.
Old March 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I was leaning towards the 2nd for my tournament, but the 9th was a possibility too.

I'd like to go this one I think. I liked the one that ET86 ran at that same location. There was so much table space!

To those who were thinking of going to both, would going to two Heroscape tournaments in consecutive weekends (the 25th and the 2nd) be too much? Maybe you could post your answers this question over in my thread in my sig, so that Kobu's thread doesn't get cluttered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Re: Madison WI Spring Fling April 25

The date has been set. Please post if you will be attending or not, and also the number of people you expect to bring with you.

Last edited by Kobu; March 9th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Yeah, count me in for sure. I'm interested to see the details as they're available. The whole idea of playing a slightly different army every game is interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 9th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Spider Poison's Nemesis

Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker Nwojedi knows what's in an order marker

What time? I might be able to pull this off, if grandma can watch the kid for me.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events