Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #25  
Old August 21st, 2018, 11:24 PM
Cleon's Avatar
Cleon Cleon is offline
Baron of Beantown V
 
Join Date: April 25, 2007
Location: MA - Pittsfield
Posts: 4,140
Blog Entries: 4
Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Man if I went this year I think I would have ran Granite Guardians. They're one of my all time favorites. Hmm

Maybe...if i'm feeling ballsy:
Raelin
Warden 816
GGs x3
Marcu

Probably would swap a squad for Syvarris (as opposed to Krav; wouldn't really want to face Krav+Raelin in the reverse rounds) if I want to win, but GGx3+Warden is so fun. GGx3+Nilfheim/Zelrig would be fun too.

I like Sujoah a lot too, she unfortunately never sees much play. I'd consider running her too I think.

Sujoah
Q9
Spiders x3

I don't mind facing Q9 alone (without Raelin and/or rats) that much. I've gone up against a lot of opponents who don't really abuse him fully.

....maybe I'd sub a squad of spiders for rats x1....

Sujoah
Zelrig
Hydra

That's a mean army. I think I'd go with that for a Sujoah army

Can't wait to see all the other army builds outside of top 16 get posted. Maybe someone ran GGs

Edit: Anubians are another that would be dope. I guess I really don't know what kind of army I would have went with lol


Cory, Trevor: Smokes.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old August 22nd, 2018, 03:17 AM
Dysole's Avatar
Dysole Dysole is offline
PuppetMaster & #1 Ranked CoNner
 
Join Date: March 18, 2008
Location: Oregon Eugeneish area
Posts: 14,328
Images: 250
Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
GG Easy

The other army I was considering Cleon?

Raelin
Heirloom
Nakitas (although I was leaning towards stingers x2)
Granites x2

I ended up going with Templar instead but I thought long and hard.

~Dysole, always bringing something goofy


This sentence has exactly seven words.
This sentence doesn't have exactly seven words.

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old August 22nd, 2018, 10:02 AM
Jexik's Avatar
Jexik Jexik is offline
Et tu, Jaxet?
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Location: IL - Elgin
Posts: 6,980
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 30
Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I'd like AG's plus Krug, but that's probably too strong?
Maybe, but I don't think so. There was a huge range in army power this year. I think the new alternating format has both increased the variance in armies and slightly ratcheted up the average.
1. Matthias (Dwarves x4, Darrak, Marcu, Hatamato Toro) 5-0
2. Hendal (Nilfheim, Greenscales x2, Fen Hydra, Marcu, Isamu, Marro Nagrubs x1) 5-0
3. dok (Tor-Kul-Na, Nagrubs x4, Raelin, Otonashi, Sam Brown) 4-1
4. Evan (Marcus, 4th x2, Romans x2, Q10) 4-1
5. vegietarian18 (Tagawa Samurai Archers x2, Knights x1, Alastair, Syvarris, Raelin) 4-1
6. Mr Chompy (Gorillanators x4, Nakitas, Otonashi) 4-1
7. OrcElfArmyOne (Warriors of Ashra x2, Phantom Knights x2, Concan, Arkmer, Kyntela, Jorhdawn) 4-1
8. ISB3 (Cutters x3, Agent Carr, Dund, Alastair) 3-1-1
9. Major Q23 (Axegrinders x2, Darrak, Phantom Knights x1, Tarn Viking Warriors, Tandros Kreel) 3-2
10. Wookie (Stingers x5, Drake v2, Marcu) 3-2
11. Chris Perkins (Mezzos x2, Raelin, Knights x1, Thorgrim, Zetacron, Marro Warriors, Marcu) 3-2
12. Dysole (4th Mass x2, Templar x2, Raelin, Eldgrim) 3-2
13. Chill (Jorhdawn, Ulginesh, Raelin, Chardris, Arkmer, Kyntela) 3-2
14. Bradley (Zelrig, Greenscales x2, Nakitas, Sam Brown) 3-2
15. William099 (Warforged x4, Siege, Marro Warriors) 3-2
16. R˙chean (Aubriens x4, Sonlen, Arkmer) 3-2

Of these, I think only a few would have made it to day 2 back in 2010. There's something slightly janky about nearly all of them, and that "150 point rule" seems to largely be in effect.

It seems like practice and knowledge of the maps are how you take these things to day 2. I'm guessing there are still some strong armies out there that just didn't make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:14 AM
dok's Avatar
dok dok is offline
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017
 
Join Date: October 9, 2008
Location: USA - CO - Denver
Posts: 20,999
Images: 108
Blog Entries: 17
dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Forget 2010; most of them wouldn't have made it in 2011. Note how I basically played a nerfed version of my 2011 army (turning Krav into Sam Brown and more grubs). And yet, in 2011 I probably had one of the weakest couple armies that made it. This year I was... slightly above average for the top 16?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:48 AM
Jexik's Avatar
Jexik Jexik is offline
Et tu, Jaxet?
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Location: IL - Elgin
Posts: 6,980
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 30
Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

I blocked that year from my memory after Megasilver rolled my trons with his Venocs... Must have had 4-5 Frenzies on one OM and wiped out all of my Glads. That was the first reverse the whip year, right? Seems like going down to 16 spaces had the biggest effect on what people started bringing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old August 22nd, 2018, 11:54 AM
OrcElfArmyOne's Avatar
OrcElfArmyOne OrcElfArmyOne is offline
 
Join Date: August 6, 2011
Location: USA-CT-Hartford
Posts: 1,176
Images: 2
OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
I blocked that year from my memory after Megasilver rolled my trons with his Venocs... Must have had 4-5 Frenzies on one OM and wiped out all of my Glads. That was the first reverse the whip year, right? Seems like going down to 16 spaces had the biggest effect on what people started bringing.
Not really. People just started trying to sneak in Day 2 with worse stuff each year, the 16 figure limit didn't have a huge impact on the power level going down. Knights, Heavies, Romans, 4th, 10th, etc. could have still been run at 16 hexes.

Even at 24 hexes, Nathan and William still would have created the first Splash army and I still would have created the first Toolbox army. The 150/9 hexes rule is derived from those early 2015 armies, but those were not conceived with that in mind, if that makes sense.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old August 22nd, 2018, 01:18 PM
Jexik's Avatar
Jexik Jexik is offline
Et tu, Jaxet?
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Location: IL - Elgin
Posts: 6,980
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 30
Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Main Event Day 2 qualifiers
  • Matthias 5-0(Spidersx4, Estivara, Wyvern x2)
  • ISB3(Infected Sloth's brother) 5-0(Phantom Knightsx5, Heirloom)
  • Vegieterian18 4-1(10thx3, Nakitas, Raelin)
  • Unseenshadowz 4-1(Dwarvesx3,Mogrimm,Krav)
  • Deroche 4-1
  • ManTrainChooChoo 4-1 (Dividersx4,Tul Bak Ra, Krav)
  • Nicktheant 4-1(Stingersx4,Nilf,Isamu)
  • Dok 4-1(Black Wyrmx3, Red Wyrmx3, Marcu, Raelin, Fen Hydra, Ratsx1)
  • Pickle 4-1(Braxas,Stingersx3,Marro Warriors)
  • Arrow Grut 3-2(Greenscalesx3,Moltenclaw,Raelin)
  • Vegie's Dad 3-2(ArrowGrutsx3,Swogsx4,Krug,Raelin,Marcu)
2012:

Championship Day 1
1. Deroche 5-0 (3x Glads, 2x Blasts, Raelin, Otonashi)***
2. tom 5-0 (6x 4th Mass) ***
3. Pickle4192 5-0 (6x 4th Mass)***
4. Hendal 4-1 (6x Stingers, Raelin, Isamu)***
5. pitboss648 4-1 (4x Heavy Gruts, Grimnak, Nerak)***
6. cornpuff 4-1 (2x Axegrinders, Mogrimm, Raelin, Airborne Elite)*
6. Mattstertruckrally 4-1 (3x Glads, 2x Blasts, Raelin)***
8. EternalThanos86 4-1 (5x Deathchasers, Nerak, Kaemon Awa)**
9. nicktheant 4-1 (Braxas, 3x Phantom Knights, Marcu, Otonashi, Isamu)*
9. NecroBlade 4-1 (4x Death Chasers, Ogre Pulverizer, Raelin, Nerak)*
11. jacob_jp 4-1 (3x Phantom Knights, Isamu, Raelin, Major Q10)*
12. orcelfarmyone 4-1 (3x Greenscales, Nilfheim, Raelin)*
13. infectedsloth 3-1-1 (Fen Hydra, 4x Phantom Knights, Marro Warriors)**
14. George, orcelfarmyone's dad 3-1-1 (4x Death Chasers, Ogre Pulverizer, Raelin, Nerak)*
15. sixthflagbearer 3-2 (5x Dividers, Major Q9, Marcu)**
16. Rollitontop 3-2 (4x 4th Mass, Sgt. Drake SotM)**

I looked these up out of curiosity. One star armies in 2012 were already under 16 figures, two stars meant that there were 17 so you could easily sit 1 figure, and 3 meant it was 18 or more. Only 6/16 were ***, which is the same as *. 6 out of the top 7 used many hexes, and I don't think any of them won it all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old August 22nd, 2018, 01:29 PM
OrcElfArmyOne's Avatar
OrcElfArmyOne OrcElfArmyOne is offline
 
Join Date: August 6, 2011
Location: USA-CT-Hartford
Posts: 1,176
Images: 2
OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness OrcElfArmyOne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Reverse the Whip Army Archetypes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post
Main Event Day 2 qualifiers
  • Matthias 5-0(Spidersx4, Estivara, Wyvern x2)
  • ISB3(Infected Sloth's brother) 5-0(Phantom Knightsx5, Heirloom)
  • Vegieterian18 4-1(10thx3, Nakitas, Raelin)
  • Unseenshadowz 4-1(Dwarvesx3,Mogrimm,Krav)
  • Deroche 4-1
  • ManTrainChooChoo 4-1 (Dividersx4,Tul Bak Ra, Krav)
  • Nicktheant 4-1(Stingersx4,Nilf,Isamu)
  • Dok 4-1(Black Wyrmx3, Red Wyrmx3, Marcu, Raelin, Fen Hydra, Ratsx1)
  • Pickle 4-1(Braxas,Stingersx3,Marro Warriors)
  • Arrow Grut 3-2(Greenscalesx3,Moltenclaw,Raelin)
  • Vegie's Dad 3-2(ArrowGrutsx3,Swogsx4,Krug,Raelin,Marcu)
2012:

Championship Day 1
1. Deroche 5-0 (3x Glads, 2x Blasts, Raelin, Otonashi)***
2. tom 5-0 (6x 4th Mass) ***
3. Pickle4192 5-0 (6x 4th Mass)***
4. Hendal 4-1 (6x Stingers, Raelin, Isamu)***
5. pitboss648 4-1 (4x Heavy Gruts, Grimnak, Nerak)***
6. cornpuff 4-1 (2x Axegrinders, Mogrimm, Raelin, Airborne Elite)*
6. Mattstertruckrally 4-1 (3x Glads, 2x Blasts, Raelin)***
8. EternalThanos86 4-1 (5x Deathchasers, Nerak, Kaemon Awa)**
9. nicktheant 4-1 (Braxas, 3x Phantom Knights, Marcu, Otonashi, Isamu)*
9. NecroBlade 4-1 (4x Death Chasers, Ogre Pulverizer, Raelin, Nerak)*
11. jacob_jp 4-1 (3x Phantom Knights, Isamu, Raelin, Major Q10)*
12. orcelfarmyone 4-1 (3x Greenscales, Nilfheim, Raelin)*
13. infectedsloth 3-1-1 (Fen Hydra, 4x Phantom Knights, Marro Warriors)**
14. George, orcelfarmyone's dad 3-1-1 (4x Death Chasers, Ogre Pulverizer, Raelin, Nerak)*
15. sixthflagbearer 3-2 (5x Dividers, Major Q9, Marcu)**
16. Rollitontop 3-2 (4x 4th Mass, Sgt. Drake SotM)**

I looked these up out of curiosity. One star armies in 2012 were already under 16 figures, two stars meant that there were 17 so you could easily sit 1 figure, and 3 meant it was 18 or more. Only 6/16 were ***, which is the same as *. 6 out of the top 7 used many hexes, and I don't think any of them won it all.
Nice analysis. Glad/Blast are hurt by lower figure limits but that's about it, the other *** armies can be rebuilt slightly without losing much power.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old August 23rd, 2018, 12:21 AM
Cleon's Avatar
Cleon Cleon is offline
Baron of Beantown V
 
Join Date: April 25, 2007
Location: MA - Pittsfield
Posts: 4,140
Blog Entries: 4
Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Cleon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: GG Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole View Post
The other army I was considering Cleon?

Raelin
Heirloom
Nakitas (although I was leaning towards stingers x2)
Granites x2

I ended up going with Templar instead but I thought long and hard.

~Dysole, always bringing something goofy
That's a cool one, I like Nakitas. Stingers x2 might overshadow activations needed for the GGs to advance, but Stingers are so solid they're pretty much never a bad addition, so that probably works too.

Something about the GGs I just love. Wish they were like 80/85pt though. 100pt is pricey. Same with the Quasatch.


Cory, Trevor: Smokes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who is the best Gencon Main Event Player? lonewolf Gen Con 73 August 21st, 2016 10:58 AM
Gencon 2013 Main Event Primer - Signups Close 6/16 Kinseth Gen Con 4 June 5th, 2013 11:24 AM
Gencon 2011 Main Event Fantasy Contest dok Contests and Forum Games 217 August 20th, 2011 09:36 PM
Gencon 2010 Main Event Fantasy contest dok Contests and Forum Games 208 May 14th, 2011 11:54 AM
Should Marvel be allowed in the GenCon Main Event Devil's Advocate HeroScape General Discussion 185 June 24th, 2009 10:30 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:14 AM.

Heroscape background footer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.