Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old August 18th, 2011, 08:24 PM

SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker
Re: Louisville Monthly Tournament Sept. 3rd

There are things I like about both formats (5 matches against different players, or 6 matches against 3). Playing the same opponent twice, on the same board but with a different army, would be a great learning experience. On the other hand, playing against 5 different folks leads to getting to know more people.

For maps, if we're sticking to the "Battlefield" maps, I'd suggest "Mole Hills" as one that's relatively friendly to shooters and accommodates 2-hex figures, and "Highways and Dieways" as one that's better for melee and single-hex figures.

For an army matchup along the "good vs. bad" theme, how about good Romans vs. bad Romans? There aren't a lot of points here, but it'd be an interesting match (though probably tilted towards the legion).

Marcus (100)
Legionaries x 4 (300)
Archers x 2 (410)

Spartacus (200)
Gladiators x3 (410)

(I'll leave it up to you to decide who's good & who's bad.)

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:11 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
For an army matchup along the "good vs. bad" theme, how about good Romans vs. bad Romans? There aren't a lot of points here, but it'd be an interesting match (though probably tilted towards the legion).

Marcus (100)
Legionaries x 4 (300)
Archers x 2 (410)

Spartacus (200)
Gladiators x3 (410)

(I'll leave it up to you to decide who's good & who's bad
The legos have the upper hand??? Perish the thought! Throw Crixus in and Parmenio and let the ground quake with the fury of the GLADIATORS!!!

- Serious Gladiator Fan

Louisville Monthly Tournament
"I am a much better player than my record would indicate."
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diabolo View Post
Quote:

Marcus (100)
Legionaries x 4 (300)
Archers x 2 (410)

Spartacus (200)
Gladiators x3 (410)

The legos have the upper hand??? Perish the thought! Throw Crixus in and Parmenio and let the ground quake with the fury of the GLADIATORS!!!

- Serious Gladiator Fan
We must have this one as well!
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

PARMENIO?! At least give 'em Ne-Gok-Sa so his power might actually be useful (plus it makes it more clear-cut who the 'bad guys' are ).

I'll let you guys figure out the match-ups, just let me know what figures I have to bring.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old August 19th, 2011, 02:40 PM

SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker
Thumbs up Re: Louisville Monthly Tournament Sept. 3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diabolo View Post
Quote:

Marcus (100)
Legionaries x 4 (300)
Archers x 2 (410)

Spartacus (200)
Gladiators x3 (410)

- Serious Gladiator Fan
Funny you say that! I was thinking along the same lines, and your matchup is identical to the one suggested in a thread on romans/gladiators:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=33494

... only I think the real weakness in the gladiator army is in the hero/squad balance. The gladiator army has a 1:3 ratio and 10 figures total), the legion 1:6 and 19 figures total. Sparty is a great but expensive hero, and the gladiators have only 3 figures per squad.

To tilt that balance a bit less strongly toward the Romans, I'd actually add another squad of gladiators for Parmenio. While Parmenio has a greater point value than the gladiators, he lacks synergy with the Roman army and is overall an underwhelming hero. Then the balance would be 1:4 (13 figures total) and 2:6 (20 figures total). Crixus is a great hero, and in isolation he's probably worth more than a squad of gladiators, but if I were playing a gladiator army, I'd rather have another squad of Capuans than Crixus.

Or, we can just go with your suggestion. It's all good!!!

Now I'm getting stoked about playing!

Last edited by SlipperySlope; August 19th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.
Old August 19th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't understand why either of those armies would ever want Parimeno?

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 19th, 2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
I don't understand why either of those armies would ever want Parimeno?
'Cause I think the 410-point Roman army would beat that 410-point gladiator one. At least, if I had to pick, I'd def. pick the Romans! But add in Crixus or another squad of Capuans for the gladiators, and throw in Parmenio on the other side, and it's a lot more even.

Mind you, if I were going to build the BEST 500-point Roman army, I'd never, ever pick Parmenio! (Which is what I think you were getting at.)

The other thing to consider is, if exclude the gladiators (since they're on the other side), there aren't a lot of 90-point units left to consider for the SPQR guys. If you're going to put Crixus on the gladiator team, you could pick another legion + archer combo, but that would be 15 pts too much and you'd be further increasing the Romans' advantage in numbers.

Old August 20th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think the issue is more Parmenio adds nothing. I'd rather drop the 40 points and add MBS since Parmenio isn't roman anyway.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM

El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness El Diabolo wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Ok... after throwing it out there, I am going to keep the standard 5 rounds, 5 different opponents that we have been doing!

Deroche... you and your "other commitments!!!" When will you learn that there is only Heroscape, and a void everywhere else???

Louisville Monthly Tournament
"I am a much better player than my record would indicate."
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
I think the issue is more Parmenio adds nothing. I'd rather drop the 40 points and add MBS since Parmenio isn't roman anyway.
I see your point, though, if you're going to drop that many points, you might as well take another squad of archers.

I think the reason that El Diablo suggested Parmenio is that he's thematically the most consistent character (certainly more so than someone from another planet) and equal in point value to Crixus.

But it's all good! Main thing is we have fun playing, and I'll play whatever El Diablo puts out there.

I look forward to meeting you at the event!

Old August 20th, 2011, 08:38 PM

enkidu is surprisingly tart

What does everyone think of a 510 Dwarves vs Dragon match up? If we can get enough greenscales and axegrinders, I think this would be a fun match up:

Lizard King Army (510)=

Braxas=210
Greenscales X 5=300

Dwarf Army (510)=

Migol Ironwill=110
Mogrim Forgehammer=120
ABF X 4=280

I've never tried either build--would this be balanced? On the one hand, Braxis and the greenscales is a viscious combo. But on the other, the axegrinders have a big advantage against large and huge figures and if they take out Braxis early, the Lizard army gets steamrolled, so it would make the Lizard side be careful with bringing out the big boy, which lessens the effectiveness of the Greenscales. Again, it seems like a fun match up to play, and I could see either side winning, although I'd probably prefer to be on the Dwarves side.

Edit: If folks thinks the Dragon side is too vulnerable, perhaps taking out a squad of greenscales and adding Raelin would even if out? But that would make it a 530 army and probably too strong. Another option to weaken the dwarf side a bit would be to replace one squad of the axegrinders with Darrak Ambershard, who is cool and a dwarf, but doesn't add much to this build, unless he is on a map with Shadow spaces, in which case he becomes more dangerous and probably makes this build even better.

Last edited by enkidu; August 21st, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old August 21st, 2011, 03:45 AM
What A Daseline

Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness Deroche wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Imagine, endiku, being able to answer these kind of questions if you owned some Heroscape instead of always giving it to El Diabolo!!!

If you want, I'll give you the Rise of the Valkyrie master set I won at Gen Con. Build the "Common Ground" map, then buy just a few super super cheap squads at Auggies (like Stingers, for example) and you can proxy out an Axe Grinder vs Greenscale Dragon battle yourself. Come on, just say yes! Do it!!

I'd prefer the Braxas army myself. If the D20 is hot, the dwarves would be in trouble. I'd rather run the dwarves against something like Charos or Nilf, where their attack bonus would more useful. Braxas is weak to anything that can surround it anyways, so the greenscales just need to hold off the dwarves long enough to let PAB do its job.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events