Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old May 13th, 2019, 01:42 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [AotV] UNIT NAME (Jace, Investigator) - Pod 0 - Design

The utility of Digitize would be less protection and more being able to carry around two figures for one order marker. In addition to maybe “projecting“ the digitized figure within a short distance when he releases them.

He could definitely stand to be a little sturdier than the draft I posted though.
Old May 14th, 2019, 02:56 AM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I was never fully aware of the draft or direction for this figure and it’s inclusion in this pod, so I won’t be too actively involved here. Neural Hack looks like a decent centerpiece, it or something like it seems like a cool focus for the design. Digitize I’m less sure on, both as written and as suggested. Between the Phantoms and the Ruiner, we’ve already got a fair amount of potential figure movement in this pod, and IMO it’s far more justified for those figures than for this one.

Establishing how he uses his cyberpunk stuff might help with the direction. Neural hack feels like some sort of psychic neural interface, while Digitize reads like he’s the cyber ghost from that scooby doo movie. In general I’d say aim more for the former than the latter.

I, personally, would still be happy with this guy being Maredian. Say, an experimental soldier or agent with neural enhancements for the resistance. If not here, then I’d like to get at least one Maredian rep for this set, and if nothing else I prefer it to inventing a vague future earth setting. I’m not inclined to get too hung up on it, though.
Old May 14th, 2019, 07:58 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I did suggest Gideon as a Maridien in the Pre-Brainstorming Thread, so some sort of future human is really an option for the set either way.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old May 14th, 2019, 09:39 AM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I prefer him to be from earth rather than a mariedian, but that’s not something I’ll get hung up on either.

In my mind he’s relying on a number of cyberpunk tropes here. Being able to “hack” living computers, digitize others to teleport them, etc. to answer your implied question, he does a little of both.
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:03 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

I'll try to have more thoughts here at some point, but admittedly I'm not well versed in cyberpunk (though I voted for this figure because I thought that would bring a unique theme to the set and Heroscape). I like the future-Earth/post-Microcorp era idea for him best (though I understand the Mariedian angle as well).

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:06 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Jace, Investigator) - Design

What NB said.

I’ll add this: anything beats another human wizard from Toril.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 14th, 2019, 11:57 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
The utility of Digitize would be less protection and more being able to carry around two figures for one order marker. In addition to maybe “projecting“ the digitized figure within a short distance when he releases them.

He could definitely stand to be a little sturdier than the draft I posted though.
His move isn't particularly high, though, so I don't see it bringing the same benefit as Theracus. If this is compounded by a low survivability, I don't see it being worth the risk to add to the figure.

On a broader theme, a carry ability doesn't really feel like it matches the negation well. We could certainly split his focus like this, but those are two very different directions for units to normally take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
Neural Hack looks like a decent centerpiece, it or something like it seems like a cool focus for the design. Digitize I’m less sure on, both as written and as suggested. Between the Phantoms and the Ruiner, we’ve already got a fair amount of potential figure movement in this pod, and IMO it’s far more justified for those figures than for this one.

Establishing how he uses his cyberpunk stuff might help with the direction. Neural hack feels like some sort of psychic neural interface, while Digitize reads like he’s the cyber ghost from that scooby doo movie. In general I’d say aim more for the former than the latter.

I, personally, would still be happy with this guy being Maredian. Say, an experimental soldier or agent with neural enhancements for the resistance. If not here, then I’d like to get at least one Maredian rep for this set, and if nothing else I prefer it to inventing a vague future earth setting. I’m not inclined to get too hung up on it, though.
It's also worth keeping in mind the suggestions for Movement Bonding or switching places with Jace and the Illusions. It's actually looking like we might have a wealth of movement abilities in the set, which makes me hesitant for a new form of carrying as well.

Thank you for bringing back part of my childhood with the Cyber Chase reference.

I think that the Mariedian angle is a harder sell than cyberpunk Earth (or even Arctorus if we need to for whatever reason), since we know that the height of the planet, when technology would've been the best, was a utopia. It's certainly possible, though, and the only real difference mechanically is whether he can be tossed into an M-43 army or not.

Here's a rough sketch of an alternate idea to pair with Neural Hacking instead:
Quote:
Neural Enhancement
Before taking a turn with CYBERPUNK DUDE, you may place a wound marker on this card. If you do, add 1 to his move and attack this turn.
Since we have the idea of him hacking into other people's brains to disable their abilities, it feels like a natural extension could be him reprogramming himself to boost his strength or speed. We could also play around with the marker being on his card giving him some kind of stat boost, but that comes at much less of a cost since it is likely to be there unless the player guesses very poorly.
Old May 14th, 2019, 02:52 PM

Or what about something like...he has a built-in neural network that “learns” about his enemies or allies as he watches them.
Old May 14th, 2019, 09:28 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Hmm, either of those could work, although the leaning algorithm angle could be difficult to implement cleanly. Taking another look at the figure, it's also undeniable that he's got some kinda blue cyber-energy radiating off his palm. I still think turning entire living entities into data is a bit of a stretch even for Cyberpunk, but it does afford us some more leeway than I initially suspected.

How about something like:

5L 5M 4R 3A 4D

Neural Stimulant
Before attacking with Jydel, you may place a wound marker on this card. If you do, add 3 to this card's attack value.

Brainjack 13
After taking a turn with Jydel, if he inflicted one or more wounds on a Unique Hero with his normal attack this turn, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, take temporary control of the figure he attacked and immediately take a turn with them. After the turn, control of the figure returns to the player that controlled it before the Brainjack.

This would be separate from the hacking/negation power with the marker, though. Alternatively, we could use that power along with some sort of cyber-barrier defensive power to make him more of an irritating/harassing figure.
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:00 PM
I could go

Actually, what if we made his only power into some form of Brainjack? Maybe instead of attacking, he can choose a figure he’s adjacent to and take a turn with that figure/squad. We could implement a d20 roll of course. It pays a little homage to the first AotP Jace (and Blue decks in general) too, which I suspect people will like.

We’ll have to account for things like Lava Dunking, but it’s not the first time a unit had to worry about Lava Dunking.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:27 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

For the name of the unit, I'd personally like to reference Blade Runner (or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but less people are likely to get that one). It was instrumental in establishing the cyberpunk genre, and there are plenty of good names to draw from.

Tyrell is the name of the company that developed androids in the movies, but Rosen was the original name from the book. All Your Pie draft's name Jydel evokes the former a little to me, but I wouldn't mind poking a little closer to the source. There are also plenty of character names, but outside of Rick Deckard and a handful of others, I would need to pull out my book again to remember them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Or what about something like...he has a built-in neural network that “learns” about his enemies or allies as he watches them.
I find it hard to imagine a straightforward implementation of him learning about enemies/allies other than a simple attack/defense boost against figures with the marker on them, which I'm not overly fond of. Did you have something else in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
How about something like:

5L 5M 4R 3A 4D

Neural Stimulant
Before attacking with Jydel, you may place a wound marker on this card. If you do, add 3 to this card's attack value.

Brainjack 13
After taking a turn with Jydel, if he inflicted one or more wounds on a Unique Hero with his normal attack this turn, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, take temporary control of the figure he attacked and immediately take a turn with them. After the turn, control of the figure returns to the player that controlled it before the Brainjack.

This would be separate from the hacking/negation power with the marker, though. Alternatively, we could use that power along with some sort of cyber-barrier defensive power to make him more of an irritating/harassing figure.
I wouldn't want to mix this with the negation angle, personally. Neural Stimulant (I'm a little afraid that this name might stray a little too close to drug imagery for something that the original designers would've released, but that's a minor aside and I like the power itself) and Brainjack are already a very effective combo, and I like how they tie together. The low base attack combined with the desire to inflict wounds to trigger the second power sounds fun when combined with the risk of wounding yourself to increase attack.

I'm not completely sold on a form of Mind Control over than negation, but either can work well for a hero-heavy set. I will say that negation is more unique/rare than Mind Control in classic 'Scape, which lends itself well to making Jydell stand out, but there's no need to be different for the sake of being different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Actually, what if we made his only power into some form of Brainjack? Maybe instead of attacking, he can choose a figure he’s adjacent to and take a turn with that figure/squad. We could implement a d20 roll of course. It pays a little homage to the first AotP Jace (and Blue decks in general) too, which I suspect people will like.

We’ll have to account for things like Lava Dunking, but it’s not the first time a unit had to worry about Lava Dunking.
I quite like the idea of him hurting himself somehow through augmentation to boost his offense, whether it's directly tied to his second power (Brainjack or Negation, currently) or not. It feels very cyberpunk to me.
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:29 PM

I like Negation and Brainjack as a combination. I love Brainjack and I don't know why I didn't think of it before.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs