Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 19th, 2010, 05:15 PM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!
WotC's Focus on Mechanics - A Discussion

Full title should read: WotC's focus on mechanics - a discussion on moving opponent's figures.

I played Magic: The Gathering for a few years, and one thing I know WotC liked to do with that game is to focus on certian mechanics within a group of expansions (i.e. blocks - three expansions that share thematic elements and the same fantasy setting). The Invasion block focused on multicolor cards, The Mirrodin block focused on the artifact card type, so on and so forth.

I get the idea that that's what's happening with the first wave of D&D boosters. So far, we have seen the Drow Chainfighter and Wyvern which are both units that can significantly alter the location of an opponents figure. This mechanic has the potential to wreck certian stratigies, or just plain mess up an opponent's plans.

The discussion I would like to..well, discuss, is whether or not people would be receptive to this kind of focus on mechanic on a per-wave (per 2 waves? per whatthehellever?) basis. I understand that there are seperate development teams for MT:G and 'Scape, but the introduction of two major unit-moving abilities makes me consider that maybe WotC will follow a similar pattern with 'Scape.

The upside to this is that we could see certian mechanics explored in depth - terrain bonuses, bonding, synergies, etc. The downside could be that units won't feel as 'compatable' from wave to wave as they have so far (a side-effect that MT:G suffers from greatly, in my opinion).

Discuss. Any of the devs want to chime in? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion