Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old November 11th, 2020, 03:14 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: [Pod 2] Alabaster Sentinels (Rhox Veterans) - Public Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I think I originally wanted these guys and Avacyn to be from Valhalla, so there is that.

I still prefer them as statues, in some version or another, to keep the races the same. While having 2 separate races does indeed give new players more flavor, it also begs a question. "Why do these two fairly similar things have the same race?" It's all but certain that the space shrimps will Voidspawn to match their big brother Ozuul, and the Shadow Zombies/Hulks will be the same race as each other. I see no reason to create 2 new races for something simpler like this.
I think you meant to say "Why DON'T these two fairly similar things have the same race"? If so, I think that's a valid point. I just think that the advantages to making them different races outweigh the disadvantages. I also don't think that there's nearly as many similarities between the Rhox and Avacyn as there are between the zombies and hulks. Mainly, I think its harder to justify the existence of animata on Valhalla, especially native to the Sea of Sand. So far, both animata designs hail from Arctorus (Sentinels of Grax and Ebon Armor), with the bio for the Ebon Armor going into a decent amount of detail regarding the history of the animata as a race (not to say that other animata COULDN'T appear on other planets). Personally, I think it makes a lot of sense for the Rhox Veterans to be a race of Stoneskin Sentinels from the Sea of Sand, and for Avacyn to be an animata from Arctorus, maybe even another creation of Lord Perjamarine along with a bio to further explore that family?

Last edited by Captain Stupendous; November 11th, 2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old November 23rd, 2020, 01:57 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I'm fairly against the idea of these guys as anything but Animata. If they're normally "fleshy" the solid white doesn't work. I think we can absolutely say they're from the Sea of Sand - animated statues from a civilization long past that's buried in the desert.

I'm extending this a week.
Old November 27th, 2020, 02:54 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I love Headlong Charge. It feels both new and simple in a really great way that captures the essence of a charging rhino. It might not be terribly useful in practice, but I think that it's a great fit here.

I agree with Pumpkin_King that these guys should thematically always be living statues (or however else the Pod wishes to justify the opaque white of the minis). Saying that they're only made of stone when frozen doesn't really work well with them being unpainted, IMO: if they can simply turn themselves to stone when they feel like it, then it feels like classic HeroScape would've still painted the minis to me. I have no problem with expanding the world of Valhalla to include native Animata, either (or heck, we can say that someone summoned Lord Perjamarine and is creating new animata on Valhalla if we want to).

I'm curious if 5 base defense might be more interesting here. We could use some more variety in stats, and that could more firmly cement their role as defenders. It might involve a price bump in that case, though.

Name aside, I also like Flesh to Stone. I'm not convinced it's going to need to stay (the Templar Cavalry's Galloping Charge or some variant, for example, could play off of Headlong Charge quite well, albeit that leans away from the defender angle), but it feels fine and I really like how we have a cheap and simple melee squad here. Nice work, Pod 2.
Old November 27th, 2020, 11:12 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

It looks like team "Animata" wins this round In that case, do we have any other ideas for alternate names besides "Flesh to Stone"? I think either "Stone Form" or "Statue Form" could convey the theme we're going for.

Also, how do we all feel about changing the personality from "loyal" to "resolute"?
Old November 28th, 2020, 01:53 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Stone Form, Statue Form, or even Stone Flesh all sound good to me. If I remember correctly, @NecroBlade had a drafted power in the Pre-Brainstorming Thread called "Living Stone." That name also sounds good to me, albeit it's perhaps a little more vague in why they get a conditional defense bonus.

Resolute feels like a good fit here. I don't particularly mind Loyal, but Resolute has a certain appeal considering their status as stone sentinels.
Old November 30th, 2020, 05:33 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Hardened Stone, maybe?
Old December 3rd, 2020, 02:50 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

-> Public Feedback based on the main post

Animata is really cool for a race, I had to look up what it was and see what other figures we had that fell into that category already. I think its very reasonable to consider them Animata and we could definitely use more of that category. Sentinel is interesting as is the choice to make them Loyal, guess I'll have to wait for the bio but nothing about the design or miniature communicates a clash.

The stats are very blocky, I think they do a good job linking up with the visual of heavy and slow. I appreciate that they are 60 points as opposed to being higher though, I think anything more would make me less likely to pick them. The KoW stats are always good, nothing to sneeze at on a 3 man squad.

The combination of abilities makes me curious as to what the best way to use them would be. Headlong Charge makes me think I would want to use them to engage and tie something up as a screen or an initial wave of aggression but I'm wondering if it is best to put my OM 3 on them. Do some army development and then look for an opportunity towards the end of a round to rush up, engage and tie some figures up while relying on that huge defense of 6 (7) while I either use other parts of the army or just move a bit later to try and get some hits in.

My question is how often they'll get to use that headlong charge to move in a straight line. I'm seeing it get used more to jump up some terrain and cross elevation more easily than most melee squads, which is a neat place to be. Excited to see these guys, great job so far.

Last edited by Shiftrex; December 3rd, 2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old December 4th, 2020, 09:42 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played 1 game with these guys and I ended up lining up a charge to grab a glyph early game. Then late game they were the only squad left and they used Headlong Charge for every move to get into the fray. They don't have problems crossing heights or distances, but if there's a particular spot you want to be on, you kind of have to telegraph your move the turn before when you line up your charge.

It was a fun unit to play.

Take a look at my custom
Take a look at my map
Some thoughts on Drafting Treasure Glyphs
Old December 4th, 2020, 09:02 PM

Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness Skinderella wears ripped pants of awesomeness

If I'm honest I don't really have much to say about these guys. I need to playtest them but just on paper I really like the design. It's sweet, it's simple, and it strongly conveys the theme. I agree in that I think Resolute fits better than Loyal. I also think a defense increase would be nice just for diversity sake and make them feel even more like statues, the other stone based figures (Augamo and the Granite Guardians) all have at least 5. If a defense of 5 is a bit too much than maybe increasing the bonus from Flesh to Stone (which I agree needs a name change, though cannot think of what to currently) to 3 could work out. However I think the cheaper point cost is an important part here too.

I actually think these would be a better fit for Einar than the merfolk and better for Einar than Jandar. Though that's not a deal breaker at all, stone characters are completely spread across multiple factions. However the Animata are not, and they are all entirely Einar. Obviously we can break traditions (if you even want to call it that with 2 units), but if you are wanting the Alabasters to be from the Sea of Sands, Einar is stationed closest to the Sea of Sands and far closer than Jandar.

Really looking forward to playtesting them, the Alabaster being a cheap simple squad is a lot of fun and a nice addition, I can see these guys being drafted a lot at this low point value.
Old December 8th, 2020, 04:43 AM

Lots of good feedback here folks. Thank you.
Old December 22nd, 2020, 09:04 PM

Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby! Zetsubo rolls all skulls baby!

Resolute definitely feels more appropriate for statues. Not a fan of trying to make Avacyn and these guys the same species just to explain the same color, but it isn't a huge problem. Hardened Stone or Living Stone both sound great as ability names
Old January 1st, 2021, 12:33 PM

Can we change the personality in the first page to Resolute.

Between the options of "Stone Form", "Statue Form", "Living Stone" or "Hardened Stone", what do we all prefer to name the second power? I have a slight preference for "Stone Form" as I think that best conveys the idea of a conditional defense boost, but I'd be happy with any of the options listed above.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs