Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old January 5th, 2015, 10:15 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Shiftrex's Kitchen Table Customs

Worked on the very begining of Wave 2 in my first post, just more fun Earthbound stuff. Also, trying to work on a figure that would readily fit into classic Heroscape for home games.

"Miniatures I'm considering/Miniatures that look really nice" for this:

Robin Hood
GENERAL: Jandar
SPECIES: Human
UNIQUENESS: Unique Hero
CLASS: Archer
PERSONALITY: Valiant
SIZE/HEIGHT: Medium 5

LIFE: 4
MOVE: 5
RANGE: 9
ATTACK: 3
DEFENSE: 3

Templar Training
Robin Hood's class is also considered to be Knight. Whenever Robin Hood becomes engaged with an enemy figure add one die to his Attack number and Defense number.

Woodsman
If Robin Hood ends his turn adjacent to an Evergreen Tree he will have no visible hit zones until you take another turn with him.

Work in progress card:

Last edited by Shiftrex; January 6th, 2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:23 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Shiftrex's Kitchen Table Customs (Update: Robin Hood)

Mighty powerful unit, there. I like to see more guys utilize multiple Personalities and Classes for more options. On an Evergreen Map he's way better than Syvarris with the forced adjacency and thus 4 Defense. Otherwise, he's not too bad for 100 points (I think Syvarris wins on the Double Attack). Wording seems fine, too.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 5th, 2015, 10:28 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks

I was using Syvarris as the baseline to start from but I didn't want to outclass him, just make him something different. ^^ yeah, I'd agree that Syvarris does win because of his double attack but I'd like to think that Robin has some more potential to survive.
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:31 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

I think the wording might need work. (But that's just me.)
He's a beefy (With trees) ranged hero that is compatible with the 4th. I think it would really fun if he was a champion too, because bonding with the KoW would match him. He shoots things, and the Knights engage everyone! (He is a knight, so I guess this somehow fits...)

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:34 PM

Thanks! I can definitely work on the wording, it's explanatory but you may be right as it could sound clunky. I never thought of making him a champion but I guess I should consider it now as that would give him some great synergy. I was only thinking of giving him a small nod to Knight enhancements but that is a great idea.

I'll try it out and probably test it a few times ^^
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:45 PM

Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby! Marro_Warlord rolls all skulls baby!

If you do consider making him a champion, I would reword Woodsman so that instead of revealing an order marker, he can be attacked after you take a turn with him.msort of like this: "If Robin Hood end his turn adjacent to an Evergreen Tree, (why not throw in jungle too?) until you take another turn with Robin Hood, he will have no visible hitzones."
Templar Training has good wording, but I think you may want to explicitly state his class is also a knight. You can cut out the "adjacent" part, because if you're engaged, you are adjacent. A small thing, the Hasbro cards reference attack and defense values, so you may want to change it. I like your customs! Look forward to seeing more!

Oops, rolled a 1.
Old January 5th, 2015, 11:26 PM

Okay, I updated it and I went to copy Isamu's wording for his Templar Training. I also consulted the guide that we have stickied for making custom cards to help clean up my wording a little bit. I'm adding it to the first page now ^^

Thanks for your input on those details I was missing! I think I'll have him stick to Evergreen Trees though because it would fit his theme more correctly I think.
Old January 7th, 2015, 02:34 AM

Alright, time for another update. This time it's another Jandar unit from European folklore, hopefully you recognize him from the story of Robin Hood. Known for being one of his closest friends and the biggest man he ever fought.

Miniature that I think works well for this if you cut the tip off the spear:
http://www.miniaturenland.com/en/dar...grrm/1274.html

Little John
Species: Human
CLASS: Warrior
PERSONALITY: Loyal/Valiant
SIZE:/HEIGHT: Medium 6

LIFE: 5
MOVE: 5
RANGE: 1
ATTACK: 5
DEFENSE: 4

Even the Odds Special
Little John may move up to three spaces and then choose one small or medium figure adjacent to Little John. You may shove the figure by placing it on any empty space within two spaces of Little John. The shoved figure takes all leaving engagement hits and any fall damage. Little John must be able to move adjacent to an opponent's figure or be engaged with a figure in order to use Even the Odds Special.

Woodsman
If Little John ends his turn adjacent to an Evergreen Tree he will have no visible hit zones until you take another turn with him.

Work in Progress Card:

Old January 7th, 2015, 05:01 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Shiftrex's Kitchen Table Customs (Update: Little John)

It's always great to see a new designer diving right in and getting to work on sharing their work. Welcome to the site!

I am unfamiliar with Earthbound so I can't say much on how faithful of an adaptation it is but I can give some form of advice on the design of the units so that they play well.

Ness
If you get lucky he can hit like a truck, although I am uncertain why you can only attempt the power once per round if you also have to roll a 19 or higher to get it in the first place. A battle would have to go 10 rounds of Ness swinging before you'd expect to see him land a crit. I just think you could do without the round restriction. I'd otherwise say his swing is "gutsy" in that I'd be inclined to almost always use the special attack. A ranged explosion special attack for 4 that only hits enemies is a potentially devastating power that will make your opponent spread out in a heartbeat. Still, I'd say that Leadership power is the most valuable and makes him an order marker sink. However, he is quite frail meaning with Raelin stats, meaning that you will again want to keep him at maximum range and away from being surrounded by melee or risk using such an important hero.

Paula
She is interesting and can zip around the battlefield. Her Psi Fire special attack is powerful and will pretty much always be her attack. Like Mimring, you want to try to use her as a ranged attacker as much as possible. Psi Shield is a powerful Aura, making her a good one to park against Ness, but she is still incredibly fragile. One lucky attack will slice right through her measely two life and she won't remotely hold to any kind of sustained fire. Her Pray Special is interesting but the abilities don't so much as scale as offer different effects that may be beneficial. Depending on the situation, I wouldn't necessarily want to roll higher. Maybe I want a 1 to hurt another unit. It feels more like reaching into a bag of goodies than getting a scaling effect.

Jeff
I don't believe Spy Special works as intended. Revealing Order Markers has certain effects associated with taking turns or some special powers. I believe the intent is for you to only look at them, in which case I would just say that. Shield Killer Special is otherwise an interesting if unreliable power that can lead to some fun attack moments. I am really intrigued by the weapon upgrading power and trying to rap my brain around it. So, if I load up OMs on Jeff first round, I can move a die up to 4 the first turn, 6 the second, and another 1 up to 2 on the last. If you only give him 2 turns and the X, he'll only get 3 increases and just 1 and the X will give him one. Very interesting indeed. I like the idea of leveling him up throughout and giving him some big attack eventually. Leveling him too hard will put too many eggs in a basket, however, and could devastate your army if you lose him. I'd say that 6 dice seems a tad excessive since it will take 5 or so rounds of dedicated turns to fill them up.

Poo

This guy has a lot going on. Stealing turns can be a powerful ability, although only 1 of their choice gives a bit more leeway. The range on it is almost unnecessary given that he will likely be in melee in the first place. Psi Starstorm is devastatingly powerful even if it is only usable once per game. That will leave a crater wherever he uses it. Mirror Special is an interesting power that you can keep around by taking turns with Ness. Best I can think is taking and keeping Jotun's attack or Deathwalker 9000's defense. I don't see why you take the height in the power, but I assume he is supposed to look just like the unit in question. This guy is otherwise pretty solid and has the most survivability of the group.

I'll pick up with the rest later, but I'd like to say that my impression is this group is largely a bunch of glass canons with very high offense and noticeably lower survivability. The range of their effects also tend on the low side, making them vulnerable to being closed with in melee. My guess is that you tried to be faithful to the small differences between character stats in the game but in so doing you made a large gulf between them in Heroscape terms. The difference by 1 number is significant in this game, making someone like Paula extremely fragile and someone like Poo be far tougher. As it stands, I would expect them to be very swingy. Some games they'll blow the enemy away with big attacks while in many others they will be quickly overwhelmed and cut to pieces. Nevertheless, there are a lot of really interesting ideas and powers here. Thank you for sharing!
Old January 8th, 2015, 01:38 AM

Wow, thankyou for taking a look at my Earthbound units @Ixe I didn't know if they would spark much interest but I liked making them and am trying to not make them overbearing =)

Ness
Gutsy Swing: Okay, I just didn't want it to be happening all the time but I guess you are right ^^ the low probability should be enough to just let it happen when it happens instead of trying to limit any further. Someone giving me an opinion on it makes me feel a bit better about it.

I guess I accomplished what I wanted with Ness being a cheerleader/situational damage dealer. I like that he can make units spread out but I didn't want to make him overbearing with the leadership ability ^^ I'm glad to see someone else came to the same conclusion about him.

Paula
She is definitely the strange one. Would you recommend upping her life? I just didn't want to give her too much survival strength with the aura in play. If she's just way too fragile I wouldn't mind upping it to make her useful ^^ and yes, I wanted Pray to be more of a bag of goodies, strange things that may or may not help your situation. Though I'd say the only harmful one to your army is the outcome that lowers the defense of all figures on the board, to include your own.

Jeff
I'll reword the Spy special, you are correct in assuming that I wanted to look at unrevealed order markers. I'm glad to hear good feedback on the Shield Killer and Upgraded Weaponry abilities that I have going on for him too. You mentioned that you think 6 dice is a little heavy, would you recommend decreasing it or making the stack time longer? It's a power I wanted to try and figure out so that I could potentially use other level up characters, like from final fantasy 1 very oldschool.

Poo
I see your point, PSI Brainshock probably should be changed to "engaged figures" instead having a range. It really does fit with his theme better considering his appearance and that he is supposed to be the only real, melee brawler of the group. PSI Starstorm is INDEED a big crater on the battlefield ^^ I designed it to help with the fact that this group can be cornered with melee units, sort of a threat card to hold though... to be honest I've completely destroyed any squad units within range everytime I've used it.

As for the question about Mirror, the reason he would keep their height is indeed to mimic their exact appearance from a theme perspective but from a gameplay perspective it allows him to get away with jumping off height or climbing up height that he may not have been able to before, it can even grant him immunity from Grimnak's Chomp if it works.

I'd say your overall impression is what I was going for most of Earthbound is Poo and Ness taking the front line while Jeff and Paula hide behind them. Paula supports with random effects and her speed/fireline ability while Jeff works on some snazzy equipment that eventually deals massive damage. Thanks for looking my units over and giving some helpful feedback
Old January 13th, 2015, 04:32 PM

Time for another update from sherwood forest again!

Miniature that I think looks really cool for this:
http://www.miniaturenland.com/images/1033_1.jpg

Will Scarlet
Species: Human
CLASS: Warrior
PERSONALITY: Loyal/Valiant
SIZE:/HEIGHT: Medium 5

LIFE: 3
MOVE: 6
RANGE: 1
ATTACK: 4
DEFENSE: 3

Expert Swordsman
After attacking, if you dealt one wound to an enemy figure this round or destroyed one figure you may choose another adjacent figure. If it is a squad figure then destroy it. If it is a unique hero then you may choose to automatically wound it or attack again. You may target the same figure with Expert Swordsman.

Woodsman
If Will Scarlet ends his turn adjacent to an Evergreen Tree he will have no visible hit zones until you take another turn with him.

Will Scarlet is known to be the best swordsman in Robin Hood's band. Some legends say he wears scarlet because of how many people he has killed and he is always depicted as a skilled fighter, though noticeably younger than anyone else in Robin's band. I gave him woodsman because he is one of the inner circle in all of the legends, a ghost in the woods at all times, and I gave him an extra wounding ability to make him a dangerous opponent without having to give him a ton of extra stats.

I'll be making a card for him soon.

Last edited by Shiftrex; March 21st, 2015 at 02:52 PM.
Old February 7th, 2015, 06:38 PM

Re: Shiftrex's Kitchen Table Customs (Update: Will Scarlet)

Updating with the card for Will Scarlet

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards