Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!
The Beast of the East: Redux (January 14th, Providence RI)

IMPORTANT

The tournament itself is cancelled due to the numbers, and availability of maps. Instead, we will be doing a game day. So, all of the information below which is relevant to the event is still in effect, but the tournament itself is cancelled.

Please go to page 15 of this thread for more information.

Thank you!

Hey all!

So, as the rumor that has been circulating (by myself, haha) there will be another Beast of the East.

But, this one will be different...

Date and Location

The date of the event is January 14th with a start time of 12:30. In the event of snow or horrible weather, the event will be pushed back to the following week unless otherwise specified. Notification of any postponement will be posted on this thread.

The event will again be held at the Mana Core in Providence, Rhode Island.

Directions:
Spoiler Alert!

Format:

The format for this event will be 350 points, 24 hexes with a Rolling Rumble format. Yes, you heard that right, a mere 350 points.

Figures only released by Hasbro and Wizards of the Coast are legal. Anything released outside of these two companies are banned from play.

Marvel figures are also banned for this event.

For those who aren't aware, the Rolling Rumble format means that the first round will be assigned. After the first round, you play who you want with the limit of one ranked match per specific opponent (So, let's say you want to play player X twice, only the first match is ranked). The winner of the tournament will be determined by win percentage being the determining factor with the first tie breaker being the average of total points killed.

We will be dropping the lowest point total for all games played if you play 5 or more matches. So, if you play 3 games, we will not be dropping the lowest total. When you play 5 games or more, the lowest total killed will be dropped. I want to stress that.

Tie breakers will be determined by the number of opponents played total. Then if it is required that additional tie breakers are needed we will be going by strength of opponent, and then others will be determined as needed between now and the event.

Maps

To be determined, suggestions are gladly welcomed!

Admission/Prize Structure

Like the previous Beast of the East, we will be doing this to help raise money to help a fellow gamer on her year long missions trip to help individuals in third world countries. My friend Nikki left in October to spend eleven months going to eleven different third world countries, and is currently (as of October 2011) in Guatemala working in an orphanage outside of Antigua. She will be going to Honduras (November) and then Nicaragua (December) within the next few months. She will also be going to other countries such as Malawi, Thailand, Cambodia, Tanzania, and others.

Nikki's Blog and Twitter links:

Admission for the event will be $5, and we will be doing the "bring a prize, take a prize" structure at the end like all New England events. Order for the "bring a prize, take a prize" will be determined by placing in the event. But, you may be asking, what does my $5 get me? Well, beyond all of the money going to help Nikki, we will be doing door prizes throughout the day based upon the number of entrants into the tournament. If we have ten entrants, there will be 1 door prize. If there are twenty entrants, there will be two, and so on and so forth.

During the event, for those interested, we will also be selling some of Nikki's photography to help raise money for her. She is an amateur photographer, and takes some gorgeous pictures. I'll be linking some of the pictures that will be printed after Nikki and I decide which photos will be used.

Other Gaming

There are a lot of us who play much more than Heroscape, we all know that. There's those of us who play Magic, DUST Tactics (if you haven't, try it out), the World of Warcraft TCG, Summoner Wars, etc, etc. I know that sometimes we go to events, and we want to do things other than Heroscape. Or heck, you may not even want to play Heroscape at all.

So here's the deal. Throughout the day, we will be running side events for other games. If there are at least 4 people for an event, we will run one. Depending on the game, this may just be for fun. But, if you choose not to play in the Heroscape event but want to solely play in these side events, the $5 admission will still be in affect and you will still be eligible for the door prizes.

Door Prizes

As it has been stated, the door prizes will be determined by the number of attendees (depending upon other circumstances, there will only be more prizes...not less). We draw the winner of each door prize at the top of the hour and prizes will run the gamut from Heroscape product to board games to other awesome stuff.

Those Attending/Interested in Attending

Mombo101
TomCollins2000
*Ollie
*Nyys
*Scapemage
Harryplopper
*Warlord of the Wolves
*GreenmtnGoblin
Romanus +2
orcelfarmyone
orcelfarmyone's dad
*Drewman-chu +2-3
*Bamoguy

* indicates maybes.

---

Please check out our map creation contest!

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...64#post1519464

I've probably forgot some stuff, but this post will be edited in the next day or two with anything I've forgotten. Any questions, please feel free to ask!!!

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-

Last edited by Mombo101; January 12th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Beast of the East: Redux (December, Providence RI)

If it's the first weekend in Dec., I'm out. If it's the second weekend I'm a maybe.

Why 350?
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'm in, probably. I'll know better closer to the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101
The winner of the tournament will be determined by the average of total points killed.
I think we had a similar conversation before the last Beast of the East too, but this is the secondary condition after one of win difference or win percentage, right?
Old October 24th, 2011, 06:51 PM

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengi View Post
If it's the first weekend in Dec., I'm out. If it's the second weekend I'm a maybe.

Why 350?
I was discussing it with a couple of people, and a smaller army total hasn't be used in a LONG time. Figured between the smaller point total, the format, it would allow people to play more games. Plus, when you're constantly doing large point totals it gets stale fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
I'm in, probably. I'll know better closer to the time.

Quote:
The winner of the tournament will be determined by the average of total points killed.
I think we had a similar conversation before the last Beast of the East too, but this is the secondary condition after one of win difference or win percentage, right?
Yeah, that's what I meant. I was multitasking when I wrote the first post. I'll be editing and adding stuff within the next day or two.

Another big thing I do want to mention, if people just want to come and game (ie play Summoner Wars, random board games, etc, etc) they can still enter the "event" and be eligible for the door prizes...but not the Heroscape prizes/event standings. There might be some Magic drafts going on, and/or constructed events as well. Just an FYI.

I should have a definitive date by the end of the week the latest. The owner of the store was on vacation last week, and is out of the state on business this week. I'll be e-mailing him in the meantime.

The cake is a lie.

Old October 24th, 2011, 09:42 PM

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
Quote:

Why 350?
I was discussing it with a couple of people, and a smaller army total hasn't be used in a LONG time. Figured between the smaller point total, the format, it would allow people to play more games. Plus, when you're constantly doing large point totals it gets stale fast.
Seriously? 350?
Old October 24th, 2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why 350?
Seriously? 350?
Yes. Seriously, 350. haha!

The cake is a lie.

Old October 24th, 2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why 350?
Seriously? 350?

Yes. Seriously, 350. haha!
I'm bringing 530
Old October 24th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie
Quote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. I was multitasking when I wrote the first post. I'll be editing and adding stuff within the next day or two.
Neat. I prefer win difference (number of wins minus number of losses), but win percentage with at least five(?) games played (and any shortfall made up by losses, so if you go 2-1 your record for standing purposes is 2-3) works well too.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:13 PM

Yeah, the math bit of it all always gets me. Can't you tell my degree is in something abstract (thinking wise), haha!

Mathematically, the minimum number would have to be five matches? Or, is there a way to open it up to a lower minimum? I'd hate to have a situation occur like the last event where someone (TehFattestninja) was only able to come for a few rounds and his overall standings hurt because of it.

I know I said I'd ideally like the three round minimum, but given such small army totals...I'm thinking matches would go much more quickly than a larger total.

The cake is a lie.

Old October 26th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Yeah, the math bit of it all always gets me. Can't you tell my degree is in something abstract (thinking wise), haha!

Mathematically, the minimum number would have to be five matches? Or, is there a way to open it up to a lower minimum? I'd hate to have a situation occur like the last event where someone (TehFattestninja) was only able to come for a few rounds and his overall standings hurt because of it.

I know I said I'd ideally like the three round minimum, but given such small army totals...I'm thinking matches would go much more quickly than a larger total.
I'd just go for win difference then. This is number of wins minus number of losses; no minimum number of games required. If you only play 3 games, say, the best you can do is +3, which given prior results at Rolling Rumbles will probably place pretty well but not win.
Old October 26th, 2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:

I'd just go for win difference then. This is number of wins minus number of losses; no minimum number of games required. If you only play 3 games, say, the best you can do is +3, which given prior results at Rolling Rumbles will probably place pretty well but not win.
Do the tiebreakers make sense then for this situation? The ones I have listed in the main post that is?

EDIT: 8:45pm EST

I got to video chat with Nikki for a little bit, albeit briefly. Got to say "Hola" to the children she's working with. It totally made my night.

Actually, it was really funny...I understand a little Spanish and one of the girls said to her "He's cute. Do you love him a lot?". I giggled.

All I have to say, the internet is an amazing thing sometimes!

The cake is a lie.

Last edited by Mombo101; October 26th, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old October 26th, 2011, 09:04 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

December is a tough month in general, and weekends are at a premium, but we'll try. 350 sounds like a good time for Arrow Gruts and Wyrmlings.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events