Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old June 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!
The Beast of the East (Providence, RI August 20th)

Hey fellow New England Heroscapers!

So, I'm in the process of organizing my first tournament. This one's going to be a little bit different for a number of reasons. But, let's get down to the nitty gritty first...

Date and Location
August 20th, and the location will be at Mana Core, a game store in Providence RI (directions and facebook link in the spoiler tags below). The tournament will begin at 12:30 with registration starting at 12. We will be asking that everyone writes down their armies and totals, and if you could have that list written prior, it would be awesome, but it is not required.

Directions and Facebook link:

If you get lost, or if you would like to contact the store, their phone number is: 401-888-584-4263 (they said the number was on their Facebook...but I'm double checking this. I thought they used another one).

Also, the store is on the second floor, left hand door. That's important.

Format
520 point B list tournament. You are allowed one army. Any figure rated an A- or above on the Heroscapers forums are banned, as are Marvel and CG3 figures. Only figures released by Hasbro and Wizards that are rated a B+ or lower are legal.

The following heroes/units are banned:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps
We will be using a mix of classic maps, as well as maps being used at this year's GenCon.

Spoiler Alert!

Glyphs and treasure tiles will be used during this event.

Pairing Format
Four rounds of 50 minutes. We will also be using fractional scoring with final placements determined by total points. I'm actually going to try and get a copy of the DCI recorder in order to coordinate pairings in the most fair way possible. This is the computer program Wizards of the Coast uses for their various events.

Prizes
Like all New England events, the bring a prize take a prize structure will be in effect. At the end of the tournament, you will be able to pick your prize with the order being determined by placing.

Entry
Here's where things become different...there is no admission cost other than the prize, but...

This tournament will held in honor, and to help raise money for, a very close and important person in my life. My friend Nikki is a tride a true gamer in every sense of the word (though she hasn't played Heroscape yet) and in October she will be leaving for a year long missions trip called the World Race. On this trip she will be working in third world countries helping orphans, building churches/wells/other structures, and helping those victimized by human trafficking and abuse. Throughout her trip she will also be blogging about her trip, her thoughts, and her experiences while participating. I will post a link to the blog once there's a bit more stuff on it.

This trip isn't coming cheap for her, and she needs to raise 15k for the travel expenses alone, not including medical costs (vaccinations, medications, etc), insurance, and other necessary materials (tent, supplies, etc, etc). The goal will be to try and raise a little bit of money to help with her various medical expenses. During the tournament we will be taking donations to help her out on her quest to help the world.

Here are links to both my friend's blog about the trip, and her race Twitter feed.
Blog link: http://nikkisienkiewicz.theworldrace.org/
Twitter link: http://twitter.com/#!/WorldRaceNikki

Those attending...
A listing of who will be in attendance...not to be confused with the previous "Interested in Attending" if you will be there for sure, please post or PM me.

- Mombo101 (of course)
- Darkmage7a
- TomCollins2000
- Bengi
- Arp
- ScapeMage
- Green Mountain Goblin
- Warlord of the Wolves
- Neo*
- LoboRocket
- Jimmy
- Two of LoboRocket's friends*
- The CEE
- Jotun's Blacksmith
- Sniper Viper
- The_X_marker*
- orcelfarmyone
- Drewman-chu x 4
- bamoguy*
- Slappy x 3

Facebook RSVP's:
2x Definite
4x Maybe

*Maybes

Also, if I have incorrectly listed you, or haven't listed you please send me a PM.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-

Last edited by Mombo101; August 18th, 2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old June 4th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: The Beast of the East (Rhode Island, Date and Location T

Sounds great! I'm a maybe (and will probably stay a maybe until very close to the event itself). Really soon or as late as possible are the two options that make that maybe most likely to become a yes.

Other thoughts...

I like 520pts; something like 440--520pts is my range for what constitutes normal, rather than large or small, so I like anything in there.

Even having watched a few slick computer programs in action, I believe that index cards give the easiest, fairest (including being visibly fair to the participants) and quickest method for creating pairings.

When you say that final standings are determined by total points, do you mean that the points will override the win/loss numbers or that this is how two players with the same win/loss numbers will be separated? (I strongly prefer the latter.)

Old June 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM

marroking1 knows what's in an order marker marroking1 knows what's in an order marker

July 23 works best for me.

Also for the maps
Jack of Spades

Hells Gate

Scavenger Folly

Ruins at Fort Mcada

These are some of the maps that are on my gaming table right now. And have been there for about a month. So I have gotten some good play on them. They are really fun maps.

marroking1 is Major Q9...
in the DIAMOND CAVE[/URL]...
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:03 AM

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post

When you say that final standings are determined by total points, do you mean that the points will override the win/loss numbers or that this is how two players with the same win/loss numbers will be separated? (I strongly prefer the latter.)

It's the latter. I figured having the point totals will make it easier and more fair than going to a die roll in the event of a tie.

Oh, and MarroKing. I need to try out Jack of Spades, that thing looks like the most fun!!!

The cake is a lie.

Old June 4th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mombo101 View Post
It's the latter. I figured having the point totals will make it easier and more fair than going to a die roll in the event of a tie.
Cool. (However, I'd certainly disagree that it's easier than a die roll and quite possibly that it's fairer too. )
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Cool. (However, I'd certainly disagree that it's easier than a die roll and quite possibly that it's fairer too. )
Good point. I'll tweak this part out in the upcoming days. I may just say, let's just go to win/loss records only instead.

The cake is a lie.

Old June 4th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Is a Quadradical

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Good point. I'll tweak this part out in the upcoming days. I may just say, let's just go to win/loss records only instead.
Whatever you think: both ways have been very successful in the past. If it's only four rounds there will probably be quite a few ties on win/loss records so many people might find the points thing more satisfying. I just don't think they capture anything of sufficient significance to be worth the hassle, but I realise this is a minority view.
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:22 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Cool! July 23rd is probably fine, but I've got no clue at this point. July is probably a good month to do this in my opinion. 520 sounds like a fine build, as I haven't atteneded an event where that was the build total before. I might be able to bring some maps, but I'm not certain.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old June 4th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I probably won't be able to make it, since July will be a busy month with family. But it looks like a great format with a great group.

Old June 4th, 2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
I probably won't be able to make it, since July will be a busy month with family. But it looks like a great format with a great group.
No worries Taeblewalker! I know the summer makes it really difficult with things like this.

And yeah, I still can't believe my title. haha.

The cake is a lie.

Old June 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I can't commit to anything, but I do already know that the first two weekends in July are out for me and the little guy. Beyond that there is nothing planned at the moment, but that can change quickly with spur of the moment mini-vacations and Summer Baseball.

So we're a maybe at the moment and, like Ollie, will remain that way until the event gets closer.

-insert signature here-
Old June 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'm possible. Last two weekends in July are out for me but other than that I think I'm open.

Edit: August 13th or 14th also wouldn't work for me.

Last edited by arp12; June 5th, 2011 at 09:20 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events