Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:27 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
CoV Listener Questions

Hey all,

While the other thread will be for links to our new episodes, continuing the discussion from episodes, feedback, and suggestions, this thread will be for our new segment: Listener Questions. Please post questions about pretty much anything Scape related! We'll cover one-two questions each episode in a short 10-minute segment.

Thanks for listening!
Old October 22nd, 2019, 03:26 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: CoV Listener Questions

What do you think the best group of armies is for the 4x400 format?

(i.e. what's your opinions on the best distribution of top figures to form the best 4 400 point armies).

For the sake of definitions, let's say your goal is to win all 4 rounds, so 'best' means each army has a reasonable chance to win against the other top armies you may see (if played by a player of comparable skill level to you) and none of them have multiple matchups where they almost auto-lose.

I revised my own group of armies for this format after my glad-blast army got absolutely steamrolled at Gencon 2019 by 10thx4+Raelin while trying (and failing) to slowly march over the central hills on Trouble Once Lurked Beneath and am curious how close it is or isn't to what ya'll think.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 03:41 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
What do you think the best group of armies is for the 4x400 format?

(i.e. what's your opinions on the best distribution of top figures to form the best 4 400 point armies).

For the sake of definitions, let's say your goal is to win all 4 rounds, so 'best' means each army has a reasonable chance to win against the other top armies you may see (if played by a player of comparable skill level to you) and none of them have multiple matchups where they almost auto-lose.

I revised my own group of armies for this format after my glad-blast army got absolutely steamrolled at Gencon 2019 by 10thx4+Raelin while trying (and failing) to slowly march over the central hills on Trouble Once Lurked Beneath and am curious how close it is or isn't to what ya'll think.
Thanks for the question! This should fit in nicely to the topic of our next episode.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 04:46 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

How are local tournaments different from GenCon?

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 22nd, 2019, 04:51 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Not a question but a discussion topic: What's in an Order Marker? Break down each type of unit:
  • Bread and Butter
  • Defenders
  • Menacers
  • Cheerleaders
  • Sharks
  • Cleanup
  • Niche

For a discussion question, you can use my most recent Unit Debate # 73 Deathreavers vs Raelin the Kyrie Warrior - basically asking what is the best unit in Heroscape.

BTW - subscribed and downloaded - I know what I'll listen to on the road to work in the morning.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 05:01 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Oh- this is a great one. A lot to unpack there, thanks!
Old October 22nd, 2019, 05:01 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Not a question but a discussion topic: What's in an Order Marker? Break down each type of unit:
  • Bread and Butter
  • Defenders
  • Menacers
  • Cheerleaders
  • Sharks
  • Cleanup
  • Niche

For a discussion question, you can use my most recent Unit Debate # 73 Deathreavers vs Raelin the Kyrie Warrior - basically asking what is the best unit in Heroscape.

BTW - subscribed and downloaded - I know what I'll listen to on the road to work in the morning.
Thanks for the suggestions and interest! We’ll definitely be using the roles when discussing units.
Old October 22nd, 2019, 05:09 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Of course. The idea - as I'm sure you saw already - is that it will be relatable for everyone who has even been one time to a local event somewhere.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 23rd, 2019, 12:35 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Of course. The idea - as I'm sure you saw already - is that it will be relatable for everyone who has even been one time to a local event somewhere.
Absolutely, and it will also help prepare someone who is thinking about attending GenCon for the first time (which, if they can, they should).
Old December 6th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just finished the fourth episode! It was a good one. My questions reflect my bias and interest, which you've touched on a couple times. I seem to remember you saying that more about these subjects would be coming down the line, so if you want to hold off on answering these until later than that's fine.

1) What changes have you noticed in the way tournament style maps are designed over the course of the game's existence?
2) How have potential changes in map design influenced the meta in general along with the meta at GenCon?
3) What thoughts do you have about each specific terrain expansion and it's impact on the meta, both in general and at GenCon?
4) Have any units that were previously unplayable at a tournament setting become more playable now because of how maps are designed?

Obviously there's a lot there. And I can be patient if I need to. As maybe a little background, I only got into heroscape a few years ago - so I think it's really interesting to hear about the evolution of map making and how it's impacted how the game has been played. I know you've touched on it a little bit, but I'm excited to hear more about it if you feel like you have more to say about it.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old December 6th, 2019, 01:26 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Just finished the fourth episode! It was a good one. My questions reflect my bias and interest, which you've touched on a couple times. I seem to remember you saying that more about these subjects would be coming down the line, so if you want to hold off on answering these until later than that's fine.

1) What changes have you noticed in the way tournament style maps are designed over the course of the game's existence?
2) How have potential changes in map design influenced the meta in general along with the meta at GenCon?
3) What thoughts do you have about each specific terrain expansion and it's impact on the meta, both in general and at GenCon?
4) Have any units that were previously unplayable at a tournament setting become more playable now because of how maps are designed?

Obviously there's a lot there. And I can be patient if I need to. As maybe a little background, I only got into heroscape a few years ago - so I think it's really interesting to hear about the evolution of map making and how it's impacted how the game has been played. I know you've touched on it a little bit, but I'm excited to hear more about it if you feel like you have more to say about it.
These are great! There’s a ton to cover with these, and we definitely have more to say about them. I’m not quite sure when we’ll use these; there’s a lot to unpack here and I haven’t figured out entirely what we’re doing for the next few yet (show may be on a bit of a hiatus for this month due to work and family reasons).

Thanks again for listening and the great questions!
Old December 6th, 2019, 01:31 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I enjoyed last episode too. Some questions I have on tournament formats:
  • Go over history/evolution of formats at tournaments (local & Gencon), including point totals
  • Favorite/least favorite non-standard tournament formats. Standard being kill them all, standard start zones & placement, bring one army with no army restrictions, Swiss style match-up; so not standard meaning one or more of:
    Alternative objective, start zone/placement, army restriction, multi-army or draft or other army selection, and match-up assignment.
  • RTW discussion - who came up with, fist use at local then Gencon, which bleeds into...
  • Evolution of Gencon main event format, point totals, maps, and army meta
  • Discussion of formats at Gencon 2020 (once finalized)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion