Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events
Online Heroscape Games and Events Play Heroscape online with people across the country and around the globe.

Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:40 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun
How to Take a Quality Map Top-Down

I've noticed that other people who make maps for online play usually don't have trouble figuring out how to number their maps (though it is pretty time-consuming now matter how you do it)*, but often their map top-downs lack quality. Here's a guide to how I take mine (mine are most of the sweet shots that the newer maps for the tournaments have). Hopefully this will help everyone who has trouble taking a nice top-down.

*UPDATE: I use White Knight's awesome numbered tiles found here now, and once you've built up a nice supply of the tiles, they can really save you time on the numbering front. Anyway, on to the tutorial.

First, open up the map in VS. You screen probably looks something like this:
Spoiler Alert!

Any glyphs that don't absolutely have to be a particular glyph should be random glyphs, and you should remove anything representing a treasure glyph (since there are the removable ones for online play that you've probably seen if you've played in any of the recent tournaments)

Check your settings in the Tools>Options menu. I've circled my notable settings:
Spoiler Alert!

Note the "Quality" setting. This has a small effect on shot quality, but a huge effect on how long it takes to switch to high-quality view. I've got a Windows 7 with a pretty nice graphics engine, and with the quality set to maximum, it takes several seconds for VS to switch to high-quality view. If you have an older computer (like, XP or something), setting the graphics quality to maximum will probably either take forever or maybe even crash VS outright. If you don't know how long your computer takes to switch to high-quality view, set the slider to 25%ish now, and go back and change it later if it switches to high-quality really fast.

Now, go into the View menu, and close the Object and Info panes. Doing this lets you take a significantly larger screenshot, and therefore a better-quality one.
Spoiler Alert!

Now hit 3D View (three gold bars), and then Maximize on the 3D window:
Spoiler Alert!

Then, using the arrow keys/holding down the left mouse button, maneuver the view to above the map. Edit: Zooming straight into the center of the map from the original view with the up arrow key and then using the "Page Up" key to move straight up is the eaisest way to get directly above the center of the map. (Thanks DanielLoche!) Your view should look something like this:
Spoiler Alert!

Then, hit the high-quality (camera) button:
Spoiler Alert!

Then you're ready to take the screenshot (Print Screen key>Paste into new bitmap image on desktop). Crop the edges off, and you've got your top-down; I suggest saving it as a PNG.

I hope that helps. Feel free to post any questions or other things you do to make your top-down.

Last edited by awesomeunleashed; April 23rd, 2014 at 09:04 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:40 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: How to Take a Quality Map Top-Down

Thank you for this AU!
Old May 22nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

If you do save as PNG, be sure to optimize the image (you can use free online tools such as Smush_It. Otherwise, the image size can be unwieldy enough to take considerable time to load in your browser, especially on low bandwidth connections.
Old December 8th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Doesn't Drink the Kool-Aid (Eats the Catsup)

ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby!

I tried converting the Table of the Giants map from ROTV using this but my camera button (high quality) button is blanked out :/
Any ideas as to why?
Old December 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAN2507 View Post
I tried converting the Table of the Giants map from ROTV using this but my camera button (high quality) button is blanked out :/
Any ideas as to why?
Hmm. You switched to 3D mode (4th pic), correct? The camera will be blanked out if you don't do that. Is it just the camera button, or all of the buttons near it as well?

Old December 8th, 2013, 03:12 PM

ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby! ALEXAN2507 rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah I switched to 3D.
I just restarted it. It's come back now...
My camera button is sporadic apparently.
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:13 PM

Wait. It won't let me take it without shadows. Is it ok for the image to have the board shadowed or is that not so good?
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM

The shadows make it almost impossible to see the numbers on the Sand Tiles.
But they make it clearer to see the numbers under the starting point circles.
And using the camera function just seems to make the shadows spin round while decreasing in size and once they're gone it turns off the camera mode.

Last edited by ALEXAN2507; December 8th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old December 8th, 2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXAN2507 View Post
The shadows make it almost impossible to see the numbers on the Sand Tiles.
But they make it clearer to see the numbers under the starting point circles.
And using the camera function just seems to make the shadows spin round while decreasing in size and once they're gone it turns off the camera mode.
If your shadows are too dark, you can go into Tools>Options and lower the "Shadow Contrast" slider. Don't turn them off completely, though.

High-Quality ("camera") mode doesn't turn off after the shadows stop spinning. The image that it shows after the shadows stop is High-Quality mode, which should be of a noticeably better quality than before you hit the button.

Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:48 AM
Marcel Marceau

DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun DanieLoche is a penguin with a machine gun

Hello,
Quote:
Then, using the arrow keys/holding down the left mouse button, maneuver the view to above the map. Your view should look something like this:
I just found an easy way to have the ciew above the map in 2 clics, and no need to use your brain ! ^^

When you are in the 3D view, Virtualscape brings you to the "original view", that is "focused" to the center of the map. So there, just use the Up arrow of your keyboard, to go to the center of the map. Keep pressing the Up arrow until you are into the central hex. Then use the "Page Up" button (also represented with "PgUp" or this image) and move the camera with the mouse... you're on the top of the map and centered !

Bunch of useful resources (army cards,
blanks, online databases & more..!)
French Forum's admin.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanieLoche View Post
When you are in the 3D view, Virtualscape brings you to the "original view", that is "focused" to the center of the map. So there, just use the Up arrow of your keyboard, to go to the center of the map. Keep pressing the Up arrow until you are into the central hex. Then use the "Page Up" button (also represented with "PgUp" or this image) and move the camera with the mouse... you're on the top of the map and centered !
Nice! I always have zoomed into the center and then backed out with the down arrow, but this always requires a bit of adjusting since it's hard to line the camera up right to back straight out. I never thought to use Page Up before.

Old October 7th, 2014, 09:45 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

So while I was making a couple top-downs recently, I was starting to get bothered by perspective issues. For example, a tree that's not near the center of the map is impossible to get straight because of perspective issues. Then I remembered the "topographic view" button. It creates a non-warped perfect topdown of the map, but without color or texture, only the elevation at each point. If there was a way to get the perspective from that view with all the tile images, that would be amazing. However, I don't know enough about this whole thing to figure it out. So I guess I'm wondering if anybody could create some sort of hack in VS to convert the topographic view into a perfect topdown....

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Online Heroscape Games and Events