Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old September 30th, 2007, 04:52 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Book-Fold Newsletter (Got the layout, need program to do it)

My dad and I are working together on a newsletter for a personal project, and I need some suggestions on how to make it a book-fold style on 8.5x11 paper. Margins aren't a huge deal (I can leave 'em or I guess ask Kinkos to print to the edge), but I'm having trouble printing pages in the proper order to get it to fold correctly.

Currently I'm using Word (my quickest word processing option) and Micrografx Windows Draw (my most versatile word processing option) to experiment with pages, header images, and text boxes. Should I be looking into another program? Are there any tricks to working with Word? Have any of you actually heard of Micrografx Draw?

Any help appreciated.
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Bump.

1. I know there are people here who know how to do this thing, and I'd really appreciate help

2. I realized I'm in the wrong section. Move or delete as necessary.
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar
Bump.

1. I know there are people here who know how to do this thing, and I'd really appreciate help

2. I realized I'm in the wrong section. Move or delete as necessary.
Its the weekend. People will be around while they are slacking off at work tomorrow.

Moving to General...
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I wish I could help, but we (my wife and I) use PageMaker, and she's the real expert.

If you want to see how the pages should be laid out, take a few sheets of paper, fold them in half like a book, and while it is like that go through it and number the pages with a pen. Now, when taken apart, you will see how the pages fall on the actual pieces of paper.

Hopefully that helps with the visualization...

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
is late for dinner.

Thanks, Nether! I knew I could count on our friendly neighborhood skull. I think you're on the mark about Mondays, too

Jim-
Yeah, we've got that far. Now I need to get Word to print the pages in that order, or otherwise stop changing the order I type them in! (I was telling the computer to print two pages per one side of the paper) PageMaker, you say? Thanks for the tip.
Old September 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
8-page booklet:

[page 8][page 1]
[page 2][page 7]
[page 6][page 3]
[page 4][page 5]

The top two lines are one sheet of paper, front to back.
The last two lines are the second sheet of paper, front to back.
Fold both, insert the second into the first, then staple.

As the Chinese say - Voila!
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM

brickman1444 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
8-page booklet:

[page 8][page 1]
[page 2][page 7]
[page 6][page 3]
[page 4][page 5]

Are you sure about that? It looks like it would read 71536482.

6 x 9 = 42

Old October 1st, 2007, 09:23 AM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by netherspirit
Its the weekend. People will be around while they are slacking off at work tomorrow.

Moving to General...
Haha, so true!

Okay now to answer the simplest way is to take as many sheets as you plan on using, fold them like your booklet, and then number the sheets, unfold it and see what numbers appear on which pages and you have it!

Also Office Publisher could help you to set up a proper page. (It actually has a booklet style set-up for letter size paper.)
Old October 1st, 2007, 12:18 PM
is late for dinner.

Thanks everyone for help with the page order/layout. I got it now. Thanks

I'm mostly looking for a program that will print the pages in that order.

Office Publisher, huh? Is that something that would come with a windows computer, or an extra? Thanks Roland!
Old October 1st, 2007, 01:58 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!
Publisher comes in the Small Business Office Suite, or as a seperate program. It is kind of expensive though, so I did some research and I found this http://desktoppub.about.com/od/finds...tpsoftware.htm
It is an about.com article about free publishing software.
Hope this helps!
Old October 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
8-page booklet:

[page 8][page 1]
[page 2][page 7]
[page 6][page 3]
[page 4][page 5]

I frickin' do this for a living.
Old October 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death! Cavalier is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman1444
Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
8-page booklet:

[page 8][page 1]
[page 2][page 7]

[page 6][page 3]
[page 4][page 5]

I frickin' do this for a living.
I don't think he's taking in to acount double sided printing (even though you stated it).

Green is one sheet, red another.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General