Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: Does Using X as a Fourth Order Marker Upset Balance?
No 18 62.07%
Yes 3 10.34%
A little 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 7th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Marsman has disabled reputation
Does the Use of a Fourth Order Marker Upset Balance?

With large armies movement and activation come into play big time. Some people use X as a fourth order marker when playing 650+ point armies. Does it affect play balance in ways such as upsetting melee vs range balance, or give too much power to specific units?

War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory.
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!
I've never had that problem. We've gotten to the point where X is equivilent to a 4th marker no matter what. I don't think we've come across an instance where it made any difference.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old July 7th, 2006, 12:35 PM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker
I never been crazy about using "X" as 4th because it takes away the surprise factor of not knowing where one of the moves are but I did like GaryLASQ house rule of using "X" as a wild marker works good in case one of your moves gets killed or for change in strategy especially when being attacked from two fronts, I implamented it into my house rule & everybody loves it & it makes the surprise factor a little better, but it does take away on initiative because you can place your "X" on a caracter that might not survive getting attacked 1st, & if you go 1st or survive you use your "X"
Old July 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM
has been BANNED

reapersaurus is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
As I'm seeing it this morning, it really doesn't do ANYTHING except remove the strategic decoy X Marker, and hurt units that have a onec-per-round ability (at this time, only Alistair MacDirk that I know of - and my Grammaton Cleric )

Otherwise, there's no difference between getting 4 turns in a round, or 3 turns, if both opponents get it equally.

The only other impact it would have would be when the scenario uses Rounds as a timer (which isn;t usually the case when big armies are waging war - I'd think it's usually Kill Em All).

I mean it's not like you're getting "more turns!" since the game is simply one person takes a turn, then the other.
There'd be no difference if people had 6 turns per round - only less initiative rolls getting between the turns.
Old July 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Marsman has disabled reputation
What I mean is that you can stack more order markers a card without really hurting your other capability; and melee frequently can rush ranged, thereby almost eliminating a ranged figure's advantage.

War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun
The only place it comes into play is in the OVEREXTEND ATTACK. This rule states that it can only be used once per round. Making the rounds have more turns will hurt this ability slightly, but statistically would have no impact on the rest of the game.

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:18 PM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsman
What I mean is that you can stack more order markers a card without really hurting your other capability; and melee frequently can rush ranged, thereby almost eliminating a ranged figure's advantage.
How does it affect ranged/melee balnce in any way?

They can currently rush ranged just as well. Stack 3 Order MArkers to represent the "rush".
Of course, the ranged unit can just as easily stack all 3 Order Markers on it.

In fact, the only REALLY way for a melee unit to "rush" a ranged unit is IN-BETWEEN rounds, by going last in Turn 3 and first in Turn 1 after winning inititive.

So while it may seem counterintuitive, it seems clear to me that using the X Marker as a 4th turn actually DECREASES the chances that melee will have to rush ranged, thereby making ranged a bit stronger.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
My group really enjoys using the X-Marker as a wildcard as described above. It adds some extra flexibility to activation of units without breaking the delicate balance of the order markers.

Newb.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:37 PM
has been BANNED

well, actually, it takes away flexibility, since there is now more time in between rounds (and inititive rolls).

Further, it removes the strategic component of the decoy marker.

I'm curious - what advantage do people think there is in using the X Marker?

More turns? Cause that doesn;t work - it just re-arranges how often you roll for initiative - everybody gets just as many turns, as long as the Rounds aren't tracked for some scenario purpose.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
There is still only three active turns in a round the way we play. The x-marker can be used to replace a 1,2 or 3 marker. The x-marker still functions as a decoy but seconds as a wildcard. Adding an extra turn can and will change the dynamics of the game. Not that I would be opposed to trying it out as long as everyone at the table agrees on the change.

Newb.
Old July 7th, 2006, 03:45 PM
has been BANNED

Ah - WILDCARD - I get it now.

Yes, that would add flexibility, and still provide a decoy. Make the tough decisions less agonizing, but you're right.
Old July 7th, 2006, 05:34 PM

Roufus has disabled reputation
It would change lava field damage rolling by making it happen less often...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion