Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender
AotP Blender A place to discuss AotP customs and ways to integrate Heroscape with AotP.

Notices

Old April 9th, 2019, 03:26 AM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker
Lightbulb Guilds of Ravnica WORKSHOP

Note: This post is not intended to be a part of the C3G-style project mentioned in another thread, as that project is still in its early stages. If you would like to support it, please visit the following link and leave some feedback: https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55699

WELCOME
to the

Guilds of Ravnica

Workshop Thread!

Part 1: Introduction

So I wanted to try and kickstart a new line of AotP customs, as well as share some of the recent things I've been working on with regard to Arena of the Planeswalkers. I specifically intend this thread to be focused around the recent line of Wizkid's Magic: The Gathering themed D&D miniatures.

There are three main goals in this thread:

1). Present my ideas on some new Card Types/Rules Variants.
2). Aid both MTG and non-MTG players in the design of Custom units
3). Create a Public Design space where people can share their related creations and give feedback to each other.

I'll start by talking about the first one. But first, let me give you a brief rundown on what exactly this whole Guild stuff is all about.

Background:
Spoiler Alert!

Ok, so what does this all have to do with Arena of the Planeswalkers? Well, it turns out that one of the newer D&D line of miniatures has all of their figures based on these Guilds. So if we want to stay true to the MTG theme, it helps to be familiar with the source material.

In addition, it helps me set up the pitch for my super cool custom design idea for Guilds of Ravnica customs in AotP: Hybrid cards!

Hybrid Cards:

Spoiler Alert!

Hybrid cards have been around in Magic for quite some time. As it turns out, the first Hybrid cards were actually released along with the original "Ravnica: City of Guilds" expansion back in 2005.

Here is what they look like in Magic: the Gathering

Hybrid cards are considered to be both of their respective colors, but can be summoned using just one of their listed mana types. For example, a hybrid card that belongs to the Selesnya Guild (W/G) can be summoned using either White or Green mana.

In AotP, I picture this working the same way. Hybrid creatures from these guilds would be able to be drafted by Planeswalkers who match at least one of their color types. Here is an example of some Hybrid creature designs I thought up, using specific Wizkids miniatures and their respective MTG card artworks:

Example 'Hybrid' Card:
Spoiler Alert!

I'm not suggesting that ALL of the new units be made into hybrid cards, but it is definitely something I think should be worth considering for certain units. After all, the more choices one has while Army building, the better! Hybrid cards certainly help with that.

Other cards, especially Unique Heroes and other iconic figures, should be multicolored in the 'traditional' gold-bordered way. That's because they specifically must embody both colors, not just one or the other.

Speaking of which, that brings me to my second addition / suggestion for custom Arena content: Generals!

(Before you ask: No... I don't mean THOSE generals!....)

General Variant:

The lack of multicolored Planeswalkers in AotP, combined with the plethora of multicolored Squads and Heroes in the Ravnica set caused me to think of a new Gameplay type / format.

Rather than choosing a Planeswalker, Players could choose any UNIQUE Hero Creature to be their General before the game. All creatures in that player's army must match one or more of the colors on the General's Army card, and cannot include other colors. (For those who play MTG, this is very similar to the Commander format rules).

Unique Heroes are usually named characters with powerful abilities or stats. As generals, they cannot summon creatures and do not have a Spellbook. Instead, your armies deploy in a starting zone, akin to standard Heroscape armies.

It is potentially possible to mix games between Planeswalkers and Generals. I have not tested this type of gameplay (yet) but I hope to do so in the near future. Planeswalkers would have the advantage of the Spellbooks, while Generals would have the advantage of being able to field more units.

Here are some examples I typed up of what these Unique Hero cards could look like, again using the Wizkid miniatures as well as the art of the characters they were based on. I even managed to add in some hitzones:

Example Generals:
Spoiler Alert!
(Note: these designs are not final, and haven't been thoroughly tested. They are just preliminary representations that still require tweaking to be table ready)

Look below for more information.

All feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by Skyver; May 1st, 2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old April 9th, 2019, 03:30 AM

Re: Guilds of Ravnica WORKSHOP

Part 2: Design Guide

For people interested in making customs, you can submit them to this thread using the following format guide:

Quote:
NAME = (INSERT)
COLOR/S = (INSERT) ... Add 'Hybrid' if desired.

TYPE = (Planeswalker, Hero Creature, or Squad Creatures)
RARITY= (Common or Unique) (#) {if squad}
SUBTYPE = (INSERT)

SIZE/HEIGHT = (???) (?)

LIFE = (?)

MOVE = (?)
RANGE = (?)
POWER = (?)
TOUGHNESS = (?)

COST = ???

SPECIAL ABILITY 1
(Insert text)

SPECIAL ABILITY 2
(Insert text)

SPECIAL ABILITY 3
(Insert Text)
I'll include text versions of a few of my own designs here soon, too.

I can't wait to see what things you guys come up with! If you would like me to make a card for your design, let me know. I also plan on posting a guide/templates for that, too.

Let's breathe some new life into this game!

Last edited by Skyver; October 2nd, 2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old April 10th, 2019, 02:04 PM

Part 3: Skyver's Designs

I have quite few ideas but I decided I want to narrow down to just one or two guilds and nail those down before going on to the rest.

Click here to see a Summary:

Spoiler Alert!

To see my current progress on this first 'Expansion', check out the following thread on the subject:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55766

Let me know your thoughts. Also, what do you think of the Hybrid cards in general? Or "General" Variant?

My hope is for this to be a collaborative project. All ideas are welcome!

Last edited by Skyver; October 2nd, 2019 at 04:43 PM.
Old April 10th, 2019, 06:10 PM
lives in a creepy house on top of a hill

Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker

One of my Journeyscape players makes custom AOTP spell cards, I can ask if he would be interested in writing some up if you want. Otherwise, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Also, Ledev Guardian... From the looks of it, I don't think it'll even fit on a double peanut base. How will movement work on that?
Old April 10th, 2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Phibes View Post
One of my Journeyscape players makes custom AOTP spell cards, I can ask if he would be interested in writing some up if you want. Otherwise, I'm liking what I'm seeing. Also, Ledev Guardian... From the looks of it, I don't think it'll even fit on a double peanut base. How will movement work on that?
That would be great!

As far as Ledev Guardian, I don't expect it to be too much of a challenge. It's not as big as it looks. I ordered some of the figures, including that one so I'll be able to try it out for myself.
Old April 10th, 2019, 08:22 PM

Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker Dr.Phibes knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Quote:
That would be great!

As far as Ledev Guardian, I don't expect it to be too much of a challenge. It's not as big as it looks. I ordered some of the figures, including that one so I'll be able to try it out for myself.
Oh, sweet! Let me know how it goes.
Old April 11th, 2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Oh, sweet! Let me know how it goes.
Yeah, I plan on posting some pictures here once I get them in.
Old April 11th, 2019, 04:28 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
As far as Ledev Guardian.
It's fine (credit @bmon ):

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Quote:
As far as Ledev Guardian.
It's fine (credit @bmon ):

Looks perfect! Thanks for sharing. I'll post up some pictures of my own figures soon.
Old April 11th, 2019, 08:20 PM

Talking Re: Guilds of Ravnica WORKSHOP

Awsome! That original photo made it seem much larger.
Old April 12th, 2019, 12:25 PM

Another large figure is the Rakdos Ogre. I just got mine in so I decided to do a sizing test. Here is the original figure:

And here he is on different bases. Small Peanut, Large Peanut, and 'Large' single-hex.

By the way, I love this miniature! It looks even better in person.

I'll probably end up going with the Single-Hex base.

The single hex base is from Impact miniatures and is similar in size to the one used by Deathwalker 9000.

Here is a comparison of Deathwalker 9000's base compared to the Impact one and a Standard HeroScape base.

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Skyver; April 12th, 2019 at 08:58 PM.
Old April 29th, 2019, 01:57 PM

Alright everyone, I've made the MSE templates I use Public, so now anyone who's interested can download them and give them a try! You can find the links in this thread:

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=55765

I've also created a thread for my first set of AotP customs. Click Here if you are interested in checking those out.

Last edited by Skyver; May 8th, 2019 at 02:16 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP Blender