Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 11th, 2017, 09:00 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Last night at game night I played a 5 player game of Galaxy Trucker. Normally it's 4 player but the owner of the game has expansions for it that allows for 5 players.

I have played a couple times before and kind of hated it, but perhaps that's because of the guy that was teaching it for those games. He's a nice guy, but when teaching games, he's not the best at it and seemed to enjoy taking it to new players. Plus, the game is one where experience certainly matter because there are so many tiles that you build your ship with and it's hard to remember what they all do, and hard to have a good plan for building.

I played it last night because there were some friends that I haven't gamed with much over the past few months and I enjoy their company. Different teacher of the game made it much more enjoyable. Plus, I learned not to take the randomness too seriously.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:07 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I've never played Galaxy Trucker, but it sounds like a candidate for a Player Aid, if it doesn't come with something like a Summary of Tile Functions. I often make up my own aids for games that need one (or more) when I prep a new game, and post it up in the Files section of the boardgamegeek game forums. You can always check to see if someone else has done one for GT or anything else (you probably know this, but others may not). The most famous Game Aid poster is a guy from Down Under called Universal Head! Mine are scattered all around as well.

Last edited by chas; July 11th, 2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old July 11th, 2017, 09:29 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Those would be nice for sure Chas. Though in Galaxy Trucker, all the tiles are flipped down and mixed up. Then everyone starts at the same time taking a tile and looking at it, then you either place it on your ship board or faceup back out in the common area for you or someone else to take. But the catch is that it's kind of a race, so when one player is happy with their ship, they take the #1 token and flip the hourglass to allow the other players like 30 seconds to finish up.

After that, you collect certain things to place on ship tiles like batteries or astronauts etc, then go through some events to see if asteroids come to try to damage your ship, or pirates, slavers etc. Then score accordingly.

You then clear your board and flip it over to a bigger ship and do the same thing. Then you get an even bigger ship and play a 3rd and final round.

So while a player aid would be nice to get ahead of time to look at, there isn't much time during the game to keep glancing at it. I knew the basic tikes, but there were some from the expansions that were new. Plus the other thing that makes it challenging, is that all the pieces have to connect to other pieces and the connection points are varied.

More of a fun game with the right people and not getting upset when parts of your ship blow up or are knocked off.

Old July 15th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I'll be interested to read how Sword and Sorcery plays! It's one I've been eyeing for a while now.
Well I'm getting there with the painting for if Finished the Druid character that I'm playing. Each character has 2 models, one normal and one in Ghost form.

Started working on the elf archer this morning. Still have the knight, dragonkin type warrior, half-Ghost pirate lady, bear form for the Druid, a wolf, orc king, troll, a bunch of treasures and some doorways. I'm not doing any of the many other characters available or the many regular enemy types. Don't have time for that, as it is, this is taking away from my regular painting needs.

Old July 15th, 2017, 01:18 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@Hahma , Those models look really nice. This was for your friend Chris's game right? I can't for the life of me get my pictures posted of anything I've done lately. 12 days since my last day off yesterday and I spent the whole day doing yard work and automotive work. It was so hot where I live that I ended up just passing out in front of the air conditioner after it was all said and done. I have a friend that just bought a ton of sword and sorcery that wants me to play it with him when it arrives in the mail. You'll have to give your thoughts on its gameplay.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 15th, 2017, 01:40 PM
Prickly Cactus

@TREX

Actually my friend Jeff is the one with Sword and Sorcery. One game that Chris actually didn't buy

Chris is a much better painter than me, so he would have painted his own.

It will be awhile until we play, certainly after GenCon, as I don't have time to finish all the ones I'm doing before that. The hours per model add up. I could have taken the easy way out with the Druid and not done the yellow on all the raised parts of her leather. I could have just done a drybrush of a lighter brown ti highlight it, but I wanted to experiment a little. The rest of the models should be easier, though the dragonkin warrior guy will be a pain because of his wings curling around the front and making for some hard to reach places.

With all that work, you'll have plenty of hobby money, for when you actually get time to hobby

Old July 15th, 2017, 06:26 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Very nice job @Hahma . Sword and Sorcery looks like a really cool game too.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:42 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Very nice job @Hahma . Sword and Sorcery looks like a really cool game too.
Thanks Keglo!

Hopefully it will be good. Though at least u wasn't the one who dropped $300 on it with a tin of kickstarter goodies. It's made by the same company that did Galaxy Defenders, and is based on the same mechanics for the most part, though I'm sure there will be differences specific to this one. The same guy that bought this had also bought Galaxy Defenders, and the same group of 5 people are playing this campaign as Di Galaxy Defenders.

We had enjoyed the GD campaign, so we expect this to be enjoyable as well.

Old July 15th, 2017, 07:02 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Just got in my Deadeye Walkers for Zombicide: Black Plague. Has anyone got to play with those yet? I can't wait. Also, I have been on the fence over buying BLOOD RAGE. But went ahead and pulled the trigger last night on Amazon. After watching the good reviews on Dice Tower I had to jump off the fence, finally. Anyone on here a fan of that one? Also, I seen the 5th player expansion for Blood Rage on there as well. Is it worth it to buy? I'm not sure I need it unless it brings more to the table than just another player. Over Halloween I got to play a game called SPEAK OUT. With the mouth guards, and the trying to say stuff for your team mate to guess. It was so fun, my wife went and bought it the day after.
Hey @TREX , have you had a chance to play Blood Rage much? What are your thoughts on it.

I am really torn between this and Zombicide: Black Plague. I plan to get both at some point, and I know that one is co-op and the other isn't. I don't really prefer one style over the other. Do you have enough experience with both games to say which one is the better game?

Also, I have the money right now for Blood Rage and all I have to do is hit that "Proceed to checkout" button. If I go with ZPB I'll have to save up a bit longer. So what do you think? And please, anyone else chime in also if you have an opinion. I don't want to make yet another bad game decision. Both of these games look awesome to me and they both have lots of beautiful plastic.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old July 15th, 2017, 07:35 PM
Prickly Cactus

Funny, my brother in law was just asking me about Blood Rage the other day, in addition to Descent 2e, The Others and Mansions of Madness 2e.

He's just getting into gaming, other than Heroscape, poker and the Strat-O-Matic Hockey we played for 15 years.

He has the new Love Letter that allows more than 4 plyers and Betrayal at the House on the Hill.

Hus first interest is Descent because it reminds him of Heroscape with a lot of expansions. I hadn't played it yet, but am able to borrow it from a friend in my game group so that my brother in law can try before buying.

He's looking for a game that he can play with my sister, 14 year old niece and 21 year old nephew. From what I know of those games, Descent and The Others require one player to be the overlord vs the other players. Descent is a campaign game where The Others is individual games.

Mansions of Madness 2E is coop and uses an app. Some friends play it and say it's good.

Now with regards to Blood Rage, it's the only game of those that I have played, but it was only once and right after it came out, so it's been a little bit. Of those games, this is the only one that is totally competitive. I enjoyed it, but I warned my brother in law that it's not likely something my sister would like. For new players, the card drafting may be a little intimidating, as each round you take one pass the rest etc until they are all taken or whatever. But new players won't really know what cards are the best to take, as some are quests I believe and some are boosts etc. It's a VP scoring game and there are different ways to get them. So I didn't think it would be something that she would be inclined to invest a lot of games into, in order to get to know the strategies and best cards for different things. She's a casual or party game person, so that's what I was working off with my response to my brother in law.

It's a good game and I liked it. But I think it's one of those things that may be dependent on who is going to be playing it.

Old July 15th, 2017, 07:57 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I picked up Fire & Axe and The Swarm at Half Price Books. (They have coupons this weekend for 40-50% off.) Has anyone here played them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 15th, 2017, 08:45 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
I picked up Fire & Axe and The Swarm at Half Price Books. (They have coupons this weekend for 40-50% off.) Has anyone here played them?
Fire and Axe is a great game. @chas owns it and I loved it so much I bought my own copy, which was the updated edition (no real change to how the game is played, just different artwork and other minor changes). You should have a great time playing it. Very thematic for the Viking period. The down side is you need 3-5 players, so you and your buddy can't play it if no one else is around.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games