Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old December 14th, 2019, 11:08 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

@Hahma

We just got done playing 3 games against Expert Ultron with Modok using Spiderman and Black Panther. Crushing defeats. I have only beaten this combo once using Ironman solo and only after losing 5 times in a row before finally winning. Definitely a tough villain deck but still fun losing to it. Lol
Old December 15th, 2019, 12:01 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Sounds like fun @Yodaking

How do you run a character while also DMing?

Just following up on this since we played today and you sounded like you might try it someday. We entered the Minotaur's Labyrinth today and I knew where all the traps were located, how they were triggered, locations of secret rooms, where the Minotaur/Warlock/Mimic were located at, etc. As such my guys just followed everyone else around. The thief or the wizards familiar were doing the exploring, with the cleric backing them up. The wizard is a very cautious guy and always hung back, so my Half-Orc Monk stayed back by him/protecting him and pulling up the rear guard when we went single file. When ever my character needed to be moved I just let one of the other players move him. Worked out fine as for the most part the other were discovering all the surprises, but when needed my guy was ready to rush up and kick someone in the face. I only triggered one trap, it was a weight based thing where the floor didn't give out until me and the wiward walked on to a section of floor at the same time.
Old December 15th, 2019, 12:21 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
@Hahma

We just got done playing 3 games against Expert Ultron with Modok using Spiderman and Black Panther. Crushing defeats. I have only beaten this combo once using Ironman solo and only after losing 5 times in a row before finally winning. Definitely a tough villain deck but still fun losing to it. Lol
Yeah, I think that after doing good against Rhino, it's cool to get beaten a few times before getting a win with the tougher villains. It reminds me of when I used to play LotR card game and would get crushed. It felt that much better to get a win.

I'll keep that in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Sounds like fun @Yodaking

How do you run a character while also DMing?

Just following up on this since we played today and you sounded like you might try it someday. We entered the Minotaur's Labyrinth today and I knew where all the traps were located, how they were triggered, locations of secret rooms, where the Minotaur/Warlock/Mimic were located at, etc. As such my guys just followed everyone else around. The thief or the wizards familiar were doing the exploring, with the cleric backing them up. The wizard is a very cautious guy and always hung back, so my Half-Orc Monk stayed back by him/protecting him and pulling up the rear guard when we went single file. When ever my character needed to be moved I just let one of the other players move him. Worked out fine as for the most part the other were discovering all the surprises, but when needed my guy was ready to rush up and kick someone in the face. I only triggered one trap, it was a weight based thing where the floor didn't give out until me and the wiward walked on to a section of floor at the same time.
That sounds like a good way to do that YK. Let the others make the decisions and then when it's time where hidden knowledge isn't an issue, you can have fun as a player kicking butt.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 15th, 2019, 12:36 AM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Yup, it's been working out great. I also have assigned each player a few roles to help me juggle everything a little easier. Like one guy tracks all the initiative rolls and figures out the turn order every single time, so I roll for my character, then the bad guys and give him the numbers. When a bad guy has more than one equally good option on who to attack, I randomize it (whether my guy is an option or not).
Old December 15th, 2019, 02:41 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just solitaired my new Nanty Narking (Martin Wallace, Phalanx) with 4 then 3 "Players" to learn the rules here. Then did a real 2 Player with a pal. We both enjoyed it immensely. I'll be doing a real 3-4 player of it next Wednesday at a venue in Manhattan. Taeblewalker got me the upgraded metal Victorian coins as a holiday present; they are beautiful and clinky.

I've created a Character Codex on the BGG Forum to identify most of the many personalities from both history and fiction, and will be finishing it up now that I have all of the cards to check out. The cards and other graphics are terrific, and the minis for Agents and Buildings are great too. The theme is particularly immersive, and all of the character and other cards function in the game in interesting ways to reflect their personalities, locations, and etc. And its very appropriate to play during the Christmas season, with Ebeneezer Scrooge as one of the many Dickens or Sherlock Holmes characters in the game!

The original design is based on Sci-Fi Terry Pratchert's Discworld: Ankh Morpork; it sold tens of thousands of copies! But it was based on the Victorian world, so this reskin is appropriate. In fact, the publishers point out in a video that if you rotate the Nanty Narking map of Victorian London 90 degrees, you then have the map of Discworld!
Old December 15th, 2019, 07:51 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Yup, it's been working out great. I also have assigned each player a few roles to help me juggle everything a little easier. Like one guy tracks all the initiative rolls and figures out the turn order every single time, so I roll for my character, then the bad guys and give him the numbers. When a bad guy has more than one equally good option on who to attack, I randomize it (whether my guy is an option or not).
Good ideas.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 15th, 2019, 10:57 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I personally try to avoid running a PC while being a GM unless we have two or more GMs.
You can always insert an NPC when needed.
Do you play on a map with minis YK?
Old December 15th, 2019, 11:03 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Started a campaign with a new group. Pretty fun as a couple have never gamed before.
Just getting started, we played one dungeon crawl to see if they liked it and will roll up first level characters next time.
Been working on new character classes for my RPG. A Hunter, Shaman, Bard and a Shield Master who is a Captain America style warrior who uses only Shields as weapons.
Old December 15th, 2019, 01:47 PM
C3G Landlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I personally try to avoid running a PC while being a GM unless we have two or more GMs.
You can always insert an NPC when needed.
Do you play on a map with minis YK?

Yeah, at least any time we actually battle we use the map and minis, but only sometimes when just walking around. I bought one of those square grid maps that you can draw on with a wet erase marker and then wipe off. I have quite a bit of terrain collected over the years, so I try to make use of that as much as possible and only use the markers sparingly.
Old December 15th, 2019, 02:01 PM

Right on. Is that how the fighting is designed, for minis, on a grid map?

I generally avoid minis as well but it works great in certain scenarios.
Old December 15th, 2019, 02:11 PM
C3G Landlord

Yup, the square grid is what I've been using although the reverse side has a (small) hex based grid on it. I've actually used some of my heroscape 'hex' based terrain stuff in small amounts. I have a tape measure on hand in case we need to figure out range/movement over/across an area of the square grid that is covered up. As much as I like the heroscape hex system, squares are just so much easier for rooms & hallways. Growing up we never used minis, just played using graph paper. But since I've collected so many minis and terrain over the last 20 years I wanted to make the switch.
Old December 15th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Yeah, if you have the terrain it is fun to use. My issue was when we used minis people tried too hard to get an advantage through maneuvers(like getting behind someone) instead of role-playing. However in some battles it is really helpful to be able to have a visual on where everyone is.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games